Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:59 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
Totally agree with you, when you take out the debt initially you intend to pay it back, 99.9% of people borrow to get a nice care etc etc, if you could afford to pay with your own cash then you wouldn't borrow in the first place, surely, so the majority of people borrow when they can't really afford it, it's all about keeping up with the Jones', he's got a pool, I want a bigger one, so it goes on....

Anyway getting back, after 12 months you can't pay due to redundancy, your ill. You flee the country without a dickie bird ?

How many people on here made an appointment with their bank, creditors etc and explained.........

' I am falling behind / going to fall behind on my borrowings, but I am moving abroad, I am not giving you my contact details though, because legally, it is a consumer debt and it will be written off in X number of years '

Is this not being deceitful, KNOWING your intentions to move to another country, and that you have not told your creditor squat about you circumstances, and not even tried to come to some reduced payment arrangement ?

Or because people know their legal rights, they know how to play the system, hence, this is why it is not, Deceitful, Dishonest or Stealing ??????
It isn't deceitful or illegal to borrow and then move abroad wether you know your intentions or not. Indeed some posters have said they are carrying on paying UK debts whilst living over here. From a personal point of view I really couldn't care who pays and who doesn't. I'm fortunate enough to know my rights, though I suspect many aren't which is why the DCA's act and get away with it like they do.

Its not just about people who wont pay, its also those who cant pay. Two totally different scenarios.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sr71
Morals are generally an old relic of the 1950's I believe.

Now life is all about getting the most for yourself and family and using the system as best as you can to achieve that. It's just a big game.

Do you really think that bankers, traders and CEO's are big on morals?

If you are saying beg, steal, borrow to get ahead in life then fine, but admit that is what you are doing, otherwise its' deceitful, it's stealing and dishonest.

Don't make it out to be a 'personal' crusade about the banks because you don't like their T&C's that you signed to borrow money. It states in all T&C's that ANY change in personal circumstance must be reported to the creditor, if not, your deceiving them.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:02 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
.....Its not just about people who wont pay, its also those who cant pay. Two totally different scenarios.
There is also a third option mate.

Those who can pay but won't pay once they know they are untouchable

These are the people most have trouble understanding. And they do exist.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:03 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Morals are generally an old relic of the 1950's I believe.

Now life is all about getting the most for yourself and family and using the system as best as you can to achieve that. It's just a big game.

Do you really think that bankers, traders and CEO's are big on morals?
Round of applause for that man, exactly they have none a would shit on anyone willingly to earn an extra penny.

So what if some beat them at their own game.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:06 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

Agreed. Though this option mainly covers the higher end of the borrowing sector by which I mean companies, CEO's, etc. they have the capabilities to borrow big, and liquidise in a whim many many times. Theres no scruples from them either.

EDIT: I think its in the US where you aren't taken seriously as a businessman unless you have been bankrupt at least twice. In the UK theres a huge stigma attached to being in debt and those in debt feel ashamed (certainly in the case of consumer debt) Company debt in the UK is very much part and parcel of everyday life and nobody bats an eyelid. You only have to look as far as the English football premiership to see what I mean.

Last edited by perksy; Jul 19th 2009 at 4:12 am.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

It isn't deceitful or illegal to borrow and then move abroad wether you know your intentions or not. Indeed some posters have said they are carrying on paying UK debts whilst living over here. From a personal point of view I really couldn't care who pays and who doesn't. I'm fortunate enough to know my rights, though I suspect many aren't which is why the DCA's act and get away with it like they do.

Its not just about people who wont pay, its also those who cant pay. Two totally different scenarios.
Of course it is !!!! Do you think a UK creditor would lend you money knowing full well you are moving abroad, knowing legally they have no right to chase you because it is consumer debt, OMG !!!!

Don't change the subject, this is about people who know their rights and because they do are choosing to be deceitful, period !

Morally or legally however you want to look at it, whether you choose not to pay or you can't pay, it is being bloody deceitful !!!

It is ok to be honest with yourself and say look, I can't pay, I won't pay, but I am going to make my intentions clear. I think it's the worry that people cause themsleves about what may happen, if your so damn certain of your rights, why not just tell the bank go stuff it, see you around !!! No, people chose to run.

It is ok you know to say you have bitten off more than you can chew and your struggling, don't beat yourself up, people go through it all the time.

I think PRIDE is a very big factor here, whether people like it or not.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh no, not another biased moderator !!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:17 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Though this option mainly covers the higher end of the borrowing sector by which I mean companies, CEO's, etc. they have the capabilities to borrow big, and liquidise in a whim many many times. Theres no scruples from them either.
And lower end. Let's not kid anyone here. Some of the people in this thread [not all of them] have the means to pay back their debt, and choose not to because "legally" they can get away with it. That's when it becomes a moral debt and people choose which path they take.

With the current global economic climate and the level of consumer debt and general greed in the world, I personally hope the laws tighten up and close all legal loopholes. Whether corporate debt or personal debt, I hope everyone will be forced to pay back their dues.

On the other hand, I also hope those in genuine need get all the help they need and are not dismissed out of hand for asking for help.

The greedy "Madoff's" of this world are no longer the hero's of modern society.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

And lower end. Let's not kid anyone here. Some of the people in this thread [not all of them] have the means to pay back their debt, and choose not to because "legally" they can get away with it. That's when it becomes a moral debt and people choose which path they take.

With the current global economic climate and the level of consumer debt and general greed in the world, I personally hope the laws tighten up and close all legal loopholes. Whether corporate debt or personal debt, I hope everyone will be forced to pay back their dues.

On the other hand, I also hope those in genuine need get all the help they need and are not dismissed out of hand for asking for help.

The greedy "Madoff's" of this world are no longer the hero's of modern society.

OMG, a grown up answer finally !
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:20 am

.....EDIT: I think its in the US where you aren't taken seriously as a businessman unless you have been bankrupt at least twice. In the UK theres a huge stigma attached to being in debt and those in debt feel ashamed (certainly in the case of consumer debt) Company debt in the UK is very much part and parcel of everyday life and nobody bats an eyelid. You only have to look as far as the English football premiership to see what I mean.
And this is a good thing?

It's about time we all looked at the greedy "me, me" world we live in today, take some responsibility for our actions and make some changes for the better.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:24 am

These debt threads always get the "pay it" and "don't pay it" crowd so let's agree to disagree guys.

There are legal obligations and moral obligations and never the twain shall meet.

It's all about opinion really
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:26 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, a grown up answer finally !
Why grown up? Because he shares your opinion and anyone who doesn't is childish
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:27 am

Oh no, not another biased moderator !!

Funny when mods are not expected to have an opinion all of their own

Who cares
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:30 am

Guys and gals, let's not let this thread degenerate into a personal slanging match and keep to the subject in hand please.

I don't want to close the thread due to people throwing rattles out of their pram
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraser
Why grown up? Because he shares your opinion and anyone who doesn't is childish
No, not at all, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, I may share the opinion of the others for all you know, I am just trying to determine what is right and what is wrong in the eyes of the law (and morally )

On a serious note thought, I am paying my UK debts, I can't afford to for all of them, but I have let them know the situation. They can either have my offering or not but I HAVE told them on more than one occassion and they are aware, the rest is up to them I suppose. If they take it through the courts etc, so be it.

Moving to Australia was the biggest thing me and my hubby have ever done, we wanted a fresh start, but if things don't work out here, we have to go back to the UK, if we did what most people are doing on here, we would be stranded and left in a world of shit. There are risks with everything I suppose, some pay off, some don't, I hope they catch up with everybody at some point, hopefully it won't be at a bad time in their lives, got help if they landed in strife in Oz !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.