Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:33 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by DrWho
I wonder what the situation is as far as Tax goes...? Anyone actually know the answer rather than just speculation...?
Tax and Inland Revenue are classed as a civil debt i.e it is owed to the British government, and as the UK and Australia have a recipricol agreement it is enforceable in Australia so theres no getting out of that one. Wether the Inland Revenue choose to pursue is up to them.

Just to clarify civil debt is pretty much anything owed to the UK government and consumer debt is credit cards, loans, HP, outstanding bills such as gas, electric, water, telephone etc. Also a CCJ cannot be enforced outside the UK but fines gained through the criminal court system can. A Student Loan if taken out pre 1998 is a consumer debt and you can walk from, however loans taken after this date are now civil ones, there was a loophole which has now been closed.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:41 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
Yes it is stealing. You are trying to use semantics to justify it. If believing not shirking your debt responsibilities makes me a "do-gooder" then so be it!
It is only stealing in your eyes. In the eyes of the British law it is not. I would like you not only to answer my previous question to you but also answer me this one.

Should you lend me a CD for example and I have every intention of giving it back to you which we both agree on. Is it stealing if I cannot for whatever reason give it back to you? You will find the answer is no.

However if I came round your house and took the CD without you knowing and never returned it, is that stealing? You will find the answer is yes.

You really need to educate yourself on what the word stealing means before you label people who cant pay their debts as thiefs!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
It is only stealing in your eyes. In the eyes of the British law it is not. I would like you not only to answer my previous question to you but also answer me this one.

Should you lend me a CD for example and I have every intention of giving it back to you which we both agree on. Is it stealing if I cannot for whatever reason give it back to you? You will find the answer is no.

However if I came round your house and took the CD without you knowing and never returned it, is that stealing? You will find the answer is yes.

You really need to educate yourself on what the word stealing means before you label people who cant pay their debts as thiefs!!

Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:09 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, but I would expect you to go out and BUY them a replacement :-)
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:13 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Correct, but I would expect you to go out and BUY them a replacement :-)
Quite right, however legally there isn't a damn thing you could do about it if I didn't.

Lending is based on trust and nothing else.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Quick question - if you still have a house in the UK, can debt agencies go after your house if you owe consumer debt?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:48 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Twinset
Quick question - if you still have a house in the UK, can debt agencies go after your house if you owe consumer debt?
Only if they know you still own it
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:03 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

i have a question for the other way round, we came here 2 years ago, and luckily we paid our debts off, the child tax credit people over paid me so i'm still paying that off, unfortunately i have no work anymore and we cant afford to live here so we have just sold house and have enough to pay for fees, flights and to pay the credit card off over here my only problem is the car, it has been up for sale for weeks now and nothing and as its on finance i really need to sell it and pay money back, is there an option for handing the car back in to the finance company and wat happens to the remaining couple of thousand we will probably owe due to the de value of car as we will have nothing left, im losing sleep over this as i dont want to leave a mess behind, please no lectures just friendly advice as i want to do the right thing
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:15 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right, however legally there isn't a damn thing you could do about it if I didn't.

Lending is based on trust and nothing else.
Statement of fact - I couldn't argue with that.

However, If someone I lent a CD to didn't return it, or a suitable replacement after some reasonable length of time and was blatant about making no effort to do so, I would NEVER lend one to them again, or anything else for that matter, as broken trust is not easily repaired.

That just highlights how stupid the financial institutions are, in that they would clear your credit history after 5 years and start lending to you again. I guess that's why so many of them have the problems they have
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:22 am
Cad and bounder

Statement of fact - I couldn't argue with that.

However, If someone I lent a CD to didn't return it, or a suitable replacement after some reasonable length of time and was blatant about making no effort to do so, I would NEVER lend one to them again, or anything else for that matter, as broken trust is not easily repaired.

That just highlights how stupid the financial institutions are, in that they would clear your credit history after 5 years and start lending to you again. I guess that's why so many of them have the problems they have
I agree with you totally, though its the UK law not the financial institutions that set the 5 and 6 year limit.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
I wonder what the situation is as far as Tax goes...? Anyone actually know the answer rather than just speculation...?
If there's one person in life you really shouldn't piss off, it's the 'tax man'.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:34 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

I agree with you totally, though its the UK law not the financial institutions that set the 5 and 6 year limit.
...and up to 7 years in Australia.

http://debtmediators.com.au/credit-history.php

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jul 18th 2009 at 1:45 am.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:56 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by Twinset
Heres a quick summary of how it works. Firstly the creditor cannot knock on your door and demand possession of your house, its a long and costly process.

Creditors will chase you for a while, if they've had no joy they will sell the debt to a collection agency. They'll try to get payment for a while and if they have no joy many will sell the debt to another DCA for a few pence. This may happen several times. Some DCA's will give up and move on while others may pursue further depending on the amounts outstanding.

If eventually you are unlucky enough to recieve a claim for a CCJ through the post then you need to fill it in and return it within 14 days. On the form you give information about your income and outgoings and make an offer to the creditor of the amount that you think you can reasonably pay as an instalment. You send this back to the creditor (not the court). If the creditor doesn't agree with your offer, the case is presented to the court and they decide or 'determine' the rate of payment. That decision would then be binding - as you pay the instalment ordered by the court the creditor can take no further action.

If you don't pay, the creditor can use one of the following methods of enforcement:
Distraint (bailiffs)
Attachment of Earnings Order (direct deductions from your wages)
Charging Order (a way of securing the debt against your property)
Third Party Debt Order (to get money from a bank account that you have in credit)

They can also apply for an Order to Obtain Information, to find out more about your circumstances.

A court could order you to pay the full amount at the initial judgment stage if the creditor has asked for leave to apply for a Charging Order. There would be a hearing if this was to happen, and you wouldn't have to sell your house - it would just give the creditor security for the debt.

If you still didnt pay up, then it is up to the plaintiff to recover any money owed, and, if you do not adhere to the terms of the CCJ, the person you owe money to will have to consider whether or not it is worth returning to court to seek one of a number of further remedies. This is likely to be a lengthy and expensive process so, in the end it may not be worth the effort.

Should you have no assets in the UK then the CCJ becomes a worthless blot on a worthless UK credit history for 6 years and cannot be enforced in Australia. It is possible to recieve a CCJ without your knowledge (if you're living in Australia for example and have no access to mail at your old UK address) the creditor would just assume you are ignoring his attempts of collection and may push on with issuing a CCJ against you. It may be worthwhile getting someone to forward you any official looking mail every once in a while so you are aware if any creditors trying to issue a CCJ against you
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:03 am
Cad and bounder

...and up to 7 years in Australia.

http://debtmediators.com.au/credit-history.php
Interesting, I don't know much about debt collection in Australia, only the UK.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:35 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by collybabe24
i have a question for the other way round, we came here 2 years ago, and luckily we paid our debts off, the child tax credit people over paid me so i'm still paying that off, unfortunately i have no work anymore and we cant afford to live here so we have just sold house and have enough to pay for fees, flights and to pay the credit card off over here my only problem is the car, it has been up for sale for weeks now and nothing and as its on finance i really need to sell it and pay money back, is there an option for handing the car back in to the finance company and wat happens to the remaining couple of thousand we will probably owe due to the de value of car as we will have nothing left, im losing sleep over this as i dont want to leave a mess behind, please no lectures just friendly advice as i want to do the right thing

Is there anyone out there who can advise this poster please as they are clearly concerned?

Sorry mate, I can't help answer this as I've no idea but good luck with what seems to be horrible circumstances. It sounds like you're going through tough times. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. All the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.