Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by kar-kier
On the girl part or knowing better?
On the "girl knowing better" part
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by perksy
Fantastic, been away for a week and on my return its another debt thread

Just for the record:

You can walk from a consumer debt, not a civil one.

Being in debt is not a crime

Not paying a consumer debt is not a crime unless dishonestly obtained

The debt stays on your UK credit history for 6 years (5 in Scotland)

UK and Australian credit histories are totally different entities and cannot be transferred even if your creditor is a multinational company. The UK Data Protection Act stops this

A UK consumer debt cannot be enforced in Australia even if you have 50 debt collectors knocking on your door in Oz.

Any written demands for UK consumer debt sent to your Australian address carry as much clout as last weeks shopping list. Its a DCA's scare tactics to try and make you pay up...you dont have to.

Same applies for telephone demands if you get called in Australia

Anything else?

Perfect. Haven't seen a better answer.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Amazing how many of you think is this perfectly OK. If you just leave your debt behind in the UK without going through bankruptcy you are a THIEF, there is no other word for you.

I hope with the huge number of defaults happening now that debt collections can happen more easily across borders and all of you are made to pay every penny back.

Stealing is wrong and those of you who think otherwise are the scum of our society and should be locked up or deported.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:52 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
Amazing how many of you think is this perfectly OK. If you just leave your debt behind in the UK without going through bankruptcy you are a THIEF, there is no other word for you.

I hope with the huge number of defaults happening now that debt collections can happen more easily across borders and all of you are made to pay every penny back.

Stealing is wrong and those of you who think otherwise are the scum of our society and should be locked up or deported.
Oh dear another do-gooder with no idea. Non payment of debt is not stealing. Dishonestly obtaining credit is fraud.

EDIT: What would you class a DCA trying a chase a statute barred debt?

Last edited by perksy; Jul 17th 2009 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice

£10 a letter. £35 a time bank charges. thats theft
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually if you read this thread the debate is about the practicalities and legalities of enforcement of debt. Nobody was claiming that its was OK or debating that point...until you weighed in with this moral high ground.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by charlie rara
£10 a letter. £35 a time bank charges. thats theft
I've never paid these fees. I guess you need to shop around for another bank!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually if you read this thread the debate is about the practicalities and legalities of enforcement of debt. Nobody was claiming that its was OK or debating that point...until you weighed in with this moral high ground.
By saying that you can legally get away from your debt obligations, the inference is that it is OK...
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perksy
Oh dear another do-gooder with no idea. Non payment of debt is not stealing. Dishonestly obtaining credit is fraud.

EDIT: What would you class a DCA trying a chase a statute barred debt?
Yes it is stealing. You are trying to use semantics to justify it. If believing not shirking your debt responsibilities makes me a "do-gooder" then so be it!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by xzibit
Surely paying the debt off before you leave is worth it, rather than having to live in fear of being caught.

Although it sounds mean, I hope she has to pay it back.
It is not mean hoping that she has to pay it back. It is because of people like her that make us honest people pay extra when dealing with financial institutes. They factor all this "Bad Debt" and costs involved in recovering the debt into their own costs and of course, we as the end users, pay that bill.

Barney
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by POW148
It is not mean hoping that she has to pay it back. It is because of people like her that make us honest people pay extra when dealing with financial institutes. They factor all this "Bad Debt" and costs involved in recovering the debt into their own costs and of course, we as the end users, pay that bill.

Barney
True, had the same when we moved to tenerife, felt like the only honest peeps there, every bugger we met (nearly) had left debt, on purpose thinking who cares, not my problem. Shit really.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:31 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

By saying that you can legally get away from your debt obligations, the inference is that it is OK...
The point of my post was to educate as to the legal position some may find themselves in.

I don't actually think its OK myself to abscond deliberately. That said its a matter of BE record that I have left a couple of small debts in the UK, mainly due to the complete stupidity of the companies involved and my unwillingness to spend any more time and money dealing with an Indian call/processing center to rectify their own inability to deal with matters. I tried, lord only knows, but there is only so much I am prepared to do for companies who lack the capability to close accounts despite promises that all was resolved.

It is not my moral responsibilty to make up for shabby customer service to paying customers especially when it costs me money to do. Of course that was completely different to the OP's friends situation.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:55 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what the situation is as far as Tax goes...? Anyone actually know the answer rather than just speculation...?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
The point of my post was to educate as to the legal position some may find themselves in.

I don't actually think its OK myself to abscond deliberately. That said its a matter of BE record that I have left a couple of small debts in the UK, mainly due to the complete stupidity of the companies involved and my unwillingness to spend any more time and money dealing with an Indian call/processing center to rectify their own inability to deal with matters. I tried, lord only knows, but there is only so much I am prepared to do for companies who lack the capability to close accounts despite promises that all was resolved.

It is not my moral responsibilty to make up for shabby customer service to paying customers especially when it costs me money to do. Of course that was completely different to the OP's friends situation.
Well said - after the trials, tribulations and HUNDREDS of bucks spent trying to sort out BT, Sky and a couple of others over the last week (all of which was cancelled or paid BEFORE I left the UK), I am now resorting to waiting for them to respond to me: call a UK lo-call number for 10 minutes and wait and see how much money it costs you to be sent through to a call centre in Mumbai...to then be told you are through to the wrong department..........got my own back with BT and asked for a ringback, to a UK mobile in Oz.....every little helps!

Theft? Fraud? Are we talking about the UK banking sector here? Or the insurers who delay claim processing on accidents for years? I have lost many times more than my personal debt as a result of the 2 sectors above......

Rant over, a problem shared is someone else's problem.....
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by DrWho
I wonder what the situation is as far as Tax goes...? Anyone actually know the answer rather than just speculation...?
Tax is a different kettle of fish. I seem to recall that ultimately the UK IR could refer the debt to the Australian ATO. Australia does have an ‘Assistance in the collection of taxes’ provision in its taxation treaty with the UK. As to how often or how easy that is to pursue I really don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.