Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:12 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by Deancm
For 5 years anyway. After then it all beomes null and void. Clean slate.
Dean, stop copying me!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Why would it make you sick to the back teeth? How does someone elses debt affect you?

Makes me sick because I have been honest all my life and never borrowed money with the intention of doing one just coz I needed the cash to move, honesty obviously doesn't pay, excuse the pun ! Quite a few thousand pounds worth of wrongs never make a right in my eyes.

Do you think the banks and credit card companies would think twice about chucking you out of your home if you were in financial difficulty? All the companies you have debt to are insured. They will just write it off as a bad debt and claim it on tax and insurance. At the end of the day they will lose nothing and yet you will go through a whole load of stress to get it paid...

Makes you wonder doesn't it?
It does make you wonder actually, stress is a very big factor for me at the minute. I have, to date lost 40% of my hair (unfortunately not the excess 2 stone ),
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Dean, stop copying me!
You said 6 years!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:16 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

You said 6 years!
Yeah, cause I'm a girl and I know better!!!

England and Scotland are different - one is 5 years the other is 6 - can't remember which is which though!! Didn't want someone jumping off the plane after 5 years and getting done!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

You kidding. Aren't you
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
It does make you wonder actually, stress is a very big factor for me at the minute. I have, to date lost 40% of my hair (unfortunately not the excess 2 stone ),
Just because you don't pay debts doesn't mean you are dishonest. Many people enter into debt with the full intention of paying it back and then they enter into financial hardship and life becomes a nightmare with constant harassment from collection agencies etc.

Bear this in mind, the banks wouldn't have a second though about putting YOU on the street. Being in a situation of financial difficulty is stressful enough without the harassment and threats. It has nothing to do with dishonesty. Dishonesty is entering in an agreement providing false information with absolutely no intention of repaying. As I said, the banks are insured and don't lose out.

Loyalty is a two way street. Why be loyal to an organisation that will shit on you at the first opportunity?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:21 pm
Living the dream!

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
You kidding. Aren't you
On the girl part or knowing better?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:22 pm
Living the dream!

Just because you don't pay debts doesn't mean you are dishonest. Many people enter into debt with the full intention of paying it back and then they enter into financial hardship and life becomes a nightmare with constant harassment from collection agencies etc.

Bear this in mind, the banks wouldn't have a second though about putting YOU on the street. Being in a situation of financial difficulty is stressful enough without the harassment and threats. It has nothing to do with dishonesty. Dishonesty is entering in an agreement providing false information with absolutely no intention of repaying. As I said, the banks are insured and don't lose out.

Loyalty is a two way street. Why be loyal to an organisation that will shit on you at the first opportunity?

Def agree with you there Dean. Doing a bunk with a load of money is different to leaving debt you can't afford to pay!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

England and Scotland are different - one is 5 years the other is 6 - can't remember which is which though!! Didn't want someone jumping off the plane after 5 years and getting done!
I'm not sure which either. I'll have to refer to that thread I posted at the start of this. Some great information about this there.

Chances are though, if it was 6 years and you jumped off the plane after 5, it would probably take them a year to realise you were back in the country.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Def agree with you there Dean. Doing a bunk with a load of money is different to leaving debt you can't afford to pay!!
My point EXACTLY, think my point my have been missed.

But I still stick to the fact that it isn't right. Do scenarios like this not make a much bigger picture in the long run, sign of the current times ?

Last edited by DEEDEE01; Jul 17th 2009 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Right now in the UK, a lot of people that would be on their high horse about this are experiencing it first hand. I wonder if the people that have lost their home are still on their high horse?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:39 pm
Living the dream!

Right now in the UK, a lot of people that would be on their high horse about this are experiencing it first hand. I wonder if the people that have lost their home are still on their high horse?
And I would have been one of the ones experiencing it first hand!! Dh would have been out of a job and we would have lost our house!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not far from the truth actually, I'll come back to you on that one, lets see what the next month brings, although it can be quite difficult dealing with your UK affairs from Oz.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

And I would have been one of the ones experiencing it first hand!! Dh would have been out of a job and we would have lost our house!
Since arriving in Feb this year, OH has been made redundant twice and I STILL haven;t got a job. I do have a mortgage, loan and a small CC debt in the UK though, when I took these out I did have the intention of paying them all back, do you think they will write these off after 5 or 6 years if I cut all contacts due to financial hardship ?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:32 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic, been away for a week and on my return its another debt thread

Just for the record:

You can walk from a consumer debt, not a civil one.

Being in debt is not a crime

Not paying a consumer debt is not a crime unless dishonestly obtained

The debt stays on your UK credit history for 6 years (5 in Scotland)

UK and Australian credit histories are totally different entities and cannot be transferred even if your creditor is a multinational company. The UK Data Protection Act stops this

A UK consumer debt cannot be enforced in Australia even if you have 50 debt collectors knocking on your door in Oz.

Any written demands for UK consumer debt sent to your Australian address carry as much clout as last weeks shopping list. Its a DCA's scare tactics to try and make you pay up...you dont have to.

Same applies for telephone demands if you get called in Australia

Anything else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.