Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Drinky will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Originally Posted by markbhx
You bad man now you could possibly dent the million quid bonuses of the bank and CC executives!! I like it!!. 60k is a sizeable debt to leave behind. Well done. The little man is always getting screwed over by the big banks and credit cards, its about time they got some back.
I like the DFS idea, shame they went down errr not. Wonder if that would work at argos?? Furnish your new ozzie home from argos and off we go!!

Now prepare for the barrage of do gooders to smack you down because they didnt have the balls to do it
No one ever admits to it, suppose I'm lining myself up for a shooting. We know of people that have 'done a runner' from the UK, gone back several years later and nothing has happened. Even heard stories of people purchasing lap tops and phones on the easy payment system and comming straight over to Auss.

For those of you who wish to dodge child maintenance, its possible if you keep low, know of a reliable source within the CSA that says the UK don't bother to chase absent parents for money because it costs the UK tax payer too much money for what they get back in the end. I know the UK and Australia have a reciprecal agreement on Child Support and Australia says it will follow up UK requests. But the reality is it doesn't happen, again its up to the individual wether they persue this, not for me to judge.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Barnsley to Uxbridge to Southampton and eventually to Iluka....
Gert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really nice

Originally Posted by Drinky
No one ever admits to it, suppose I'm lining myself up for a shooting. We know of people that have 'done a runner' from the UK, gone back several years later and nothing has happened. Even heard stories of people purchasing lap tops and phones on the easy payment system and comming straight over to Auss.

For those of you who wish to dodge child maintenance, its possible if you keep low, know of a reliable source within the CSA that says the UK don't bother to chase absent parents for money because it costs the UK tax payer too much money for what they get back in the end. I know the UK and Australia have a reciprecal agreement on Child Support and Australia says it will follow up UK requests. But the reality is it doesn't happen, again its up to the individual wether they persue this, not for me to judge.
Leaving credit card debt in the UK or owing money to Argos, DFS etc is one thing and I certainly wouldn't judge anyone on that level but "dodging" child maintenance whether you live in the UK or Oz is in my opinion despicable. There are some things you can walk away from like credit card debt but your responsibilties as a parent should be taken a lot more seriously, not to mention the parent that is left behind to shoulder the financial responsibilities.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gert Muller
Leaving credit card debt in the UK or owing money to Argos, DFS etc is one thing and I certainly wouldn't judge anyone on that level but "dodging" child maintenance whether you live in the UK or Oz is in my opinion despicable.
Ooh i was laughing my head off there but Gert has a point. CM is a step too far. We have to have some morals now
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:27 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gert Muller
Leaving credit card debt in the UK or owing money to Argos, DFS etc is one thing and I certainly wouldn't judge anyone on that level but "dodging" child maintenance whether you live in the UK or Oz is in my opinion despicable. There are some things you can walk away from like credit card debt but your responsibilties as a parent should be taken a lot more seriously, not to mention the parent that is left behind to shoulder the financial responsibilities.
Dont be too quick to judge regarding child maintainance payments. My mates ex mrs screwed him over at the CSA. She was awarded thousands which he paid up. She banked it all over the year, then went on a bit of a spree at the Armani shop.

The kid got nowt, not even a new colouring book!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

wilsonc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We know of people who've gone to DFS and the like, ordered new 3 piece leather suites, got them delivered, and put them straight onto the container and moved shortly afterwards.
Did they have a sale on??

Last edited by wilsonc; Sep 24th 2010 at 10:20 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SRDL
Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get a creditor to reduce the sum owed for full settlement? (Just read that back to myself - its an actual question...not a rhetorical one!) Does it happen alot? I'm presuming that would have a negative effect on your credit rating?
A smart creditor would accept a solution that offered more cash and/or a quicker payment, than driving you into bankruptcy.

Although if the creditor was that smart, the money would usually not have been lent in the first place.

This kind of deal can only work for those with limited assets/income where the creditor has nothing to gain by making you bankrupt. If you do get any settlement like this keep the evidence in writing permanently in case they "sell" the debt on to a collector.

It probably would damage your credit rating but if you've already got yourself too far into debt once, why on earth would you want to go into debt again?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

so - you get into debt in the Uk as you want everything, but cant afford it.

do a bunk over to here - and want to do the same again.

what a stand up pillar of society.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
so - you get into debt in the Uk as you want everything, but cant afford it.

do a bunk over to here - and want to do the same again.

what a stand up pillar of society.

Not possible to "get into debt" unless there's a willing lender.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

im sorry - but i dont subscribe to that train of thought.

someone has to pay for the money that has been lost - and it will be the other people of that country, be in it higher lending charges or whatever, others are picking up your tab.

well done - give yourself a huge pat on the back.

lets blame all the lenders for people running huge debt up - sounds a very reasoned arguement to me, as im sure there was a gun at your head when you ordered your latest fad

Last edited by Rod-Helen-Poppy; Sep 27th 2010 at 4:17 am.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:26 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
im sorry - but i dont subscribe to that train of thought.

someone has to pay for the money that has been lost - and it will be the other people of that country,
The whole principle of bankruptcy is that creditors have to take a loss and the debtor can start again at zero rather than have to pay off a mountain of debt.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
The whole principle of bankruptcy is that creditors have to take a loss and the debtor can start again at zero rather than have to pay off a mountain of debt.

there are genuine cases of bankruptcy - being made redundant and such, but that is not the issue.

the issue here is whether somone chooses to pay it or chooses to bump it; or takes a load of HP out before leaving the UK.

2 very different things.

personally i hope it comes back to bite them on the arse
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Just a few words from my experience, I'm new at this so please don't shoot me down in flames!!

I am one of the shameless ones that has left over $60k debt in the UK.
Am a proud of it? Nope, but then again I couldn't of got my family over here if I hadn't. We've been over here 2 years now and haven't heard a thing. Did we leave any forwarding addresses. Nope. Do the UK authorities know where we are, nope. Now I know I'll be judged on this post, but in reality its become an epedemic. We know of people who've gone to DFS and the like, ordered new 3 piece leather suites, got them delivered, and put them straight onto the container and moved shortly afterwards.

So moraly wrong or right? I don't know, its up to the individual if they want to take the risk. Will you get caught, nope if you stay out of the UK for over 7 years!!!
Sorry - you're asking if loading a brand new three piece suite from DFS onto a container and stealing it is morally wrong or right?

Theanswer is that it is totally immoral and also theft.

At least now we know why sofas at DFS are so expensive.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

If you default on your debts and the prospective employer finds out then they are far less likely to employ you as you will be seen as untrustworthy.
It is dishonest if you set out deliberately to default, especially if you increase the debts or max out the credit cards just before going.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:45 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If you default on your debts and the prospective employer finds out then they are far less likely to employ you as you will be seen as untrustworthy.
It is dishonest if you set out deliberately to default, especially if you increase the debts or max out the credit cards just before going.
How many jobs do you think require credit checks?

I would question the employers morals over that of the employee if he found out credit information without prior approval. I'd even suggest it would be illegal.

With consumer credit it is nigh on impossible to prove a deliberate default. The law is mainly aimed at business credit agreements.

It is perfectly within the boundries of UK consumer credit law to 'max out' as many credit cards as you wish and then leave the country. It is up to the individual weather they choose to pay up or not. Morally its not right but thats the law I'm afraid.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

wilsonc is an unknown quantity at this point

hi What about secured debt?

I have a house with -ve equity, a mortgage that is higher than the value I could get(if it was able to sell - highly unlikely) and a £20k secured loan. No great prospects of rental in my area after.

If I walk away and hand back the keys what happens? Bankrupcy? can they chase to Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.