Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:31 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Originally Posted by isgraham
The problem is that nobody can be sure they are not going back. I speek from experience. When I left the UK 5 years ago I was literally convinsed that I would never set foot on British soil again. However for one reason or another I now find myself moving back to London for a few years.
Was it to complete a spelling test??
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:36 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

I would argue that Aristotle would perceive it as not moral and the incorrect course, whereas Kant would consider it to be a matter for the person.

Nietzsche would have done the bunk, because he felt there was no universal morality and men are individuals and must be judged as such.

Schopenhauer would never have got into debt because only though denial of will through poverty can one achieve wisdom.
Its all very well talking about philosophers and their views. But what about celebrities? What would Paris hilton do? Benny Hill? Torville and Dean?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
lol...ahhh...morals...the scales of ethical justice!! Mine are better than yours (in my opinion) therefore I am better than you!

No one in this world is ever free from bad or incorrect moral decisions or thoughts!!! If you are, then I suggest you call St Peter and answer his advert in the Church Times for a new Angel!
But i'm amoral.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Its all very well talking about philosophers and their views. But what about celebrities? What would Paris hilton do? Benny Hill? Torville and Dean?
Paris Hilton would try to snort it.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that Benny hill would be chased (probably through a field) by debt collectors from the credit card companies. The debt collectors would of course be women in their mid 20's.. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
If Torville happened to owe Dean, lets say, a tenner, and Torville turned round and said, "Listen Dean, about that tenner I owe you . . . " I think he'd go off it, more than likely dragging her by the arm across the linoleum kitchen floor, before spinning her through the back door and into the utility room . . .
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Last year we sold our house for much less than we paid for it.
We had to use our saving to buy ourselves out of our mortgage.
Only now do I look back and think we were stupid. We paid off our mortgage to the very people who created this bloody mess (GFC). I have since been told we should have just stopped paying our mortgage and it would have taken them ages to 'evict us'. Mean while we could have saved the money we would have spent.
We arrived with nothing. Just a job and a temporary unit to live in.
Having said all this it has been the best move ever and we are now getting things back in order!
HKA
x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
If Torville happened to owe Dean, lets say, a tenner, and Torville turned round and said, "Listen Dean, about that tenner I owe you . . . " I think he'd go off it, more than likely dragging her by the arm across the linoleum kitchen floor, before spinning her through the back door and into the utility room . . .
I suspect you are talking Bolerocks.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

like it!!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Last year we sold our house for much less than we paid for it.
We had to use our saving to buy ourselves out of our mortgage.
Only now do I look back and think we were stupid. We paid off our mortgage to the very people who created this bloody mess (GFC). I have since been told we should have just stopped paying our mortgage and it would have taken them ages to 'evict us'. Mean while we could have saved the money we would have spent.
We arrived with nothing. Just a job and a temporary unit to live in.
Having said all this it has been the best move ever and we are now getting things back in order!
HKA
x
Can see what you mean. In some ways you've done it the right way and in some ways you could call it being naive. Its a tough one. You weren't to know though so don't feel too bad
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:13 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

you are defo a philosopher in the making
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

My view is yes you should pay it off. But not because it's Morally right, but the fact that by doing so you are affecting other people who need/want credit.

The lenders will become tight on lender requirements and therefore won't lend to people with no history / dodgy. Now you will probably say I don't care because it's England and I'm not going back I'm staying in Aus.

So if the Aussie did this, it would make getting credit in Australia for all new arrivals difficult, which affects you.

So while it may not affect you now given the banks in Aus are ok lending. It could affect those that follow. And all this because lots of people who leave a country just don't bother paying off thier debt.

Also be very care as more and more companies are doing full background checks which includes international debt and skills checking. The current company I work for took 6 weeks to do a background check on me. Which included a credit check / history for Aus, UK and USA. They told me if I had any unserviced debts that I would have to clear them before I could start work. I think more and more companies will do this.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Shorrock.

They don't vet people on their likelihood on emigrating. Someone could have a perfect credit record and default as they are leaving. Someone else could have poor credit but not be moving anywhere. They've got tighter anyway with the gfc.

I don't think anyones going to be too fussed about people having to wait 6 weeks for a loan if they don't have to pay back 20k. I have worked for over 10 of the big banks in the UK and haven't heard of these intl checks. Maybe in the future but they don't do them now. I hope we don't get the usual scare stories from people who are just peed off they didn't think of not paying their debts

Morally its wrong to not pay back the money but no one cares about these big companies that are making millions and millions and millions. It is irresponsible and lame for people to not pay it off. Totally. I mean its poor running up so many debts but if you have a young family + mouths to feed I can see why people do it.

Last edited by itxrd; Sep 13th 2010 at 8:05 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by itxrd
Hey Shorrock.

I have worked for over 10 of the big banks in the UK and haven't heard of these intl checks. Maybe in the future but they don't do them now.
When I said companies doing the background check I meant employers, not banks. So your debt in the UK could affect you employment in Australia.

Your debt where ever it is could also affect your employment if you got a Gov job in Australia that requires security clearence.

And if you can't afford to feed your family or kids in another country (UK) then how do you expect to pay for the costs of migration and setting up a new life in Australia.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ANZ acts illegally in chasing debtors:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/fi...913-1599y.html

Obviously the banks don't give a shit about morals... Or the law for that matter.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Sep 13th 2010 at 10:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.