Reload this Page >

leaving tomorrow

leaving tomorrow

Old May 31st 2004, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

dawn a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaving tomorrow

hiya all,

well, everything is packed and we are ready to go. The computer is the only electrical item thats left, we pack it tomorrow.

We have said our goodbyes, very sad but hopefully they will visit us soon.

Not alot to say really. am in shock that we have finally got here - all our stuff in 6 cases. Our baby seems to be the only one enjoying herself. We only started packing on Saturday morning so its been a bit rushed. That would be my only advice - don't start to pack at the last minute.

wish us luck, i'll report when i get to the other side...

dawnx:scared:
Old May 31st 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point

which part of oz are you going to
Old May 31st 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Good luck Dawn

Be sure to keep us all posted

Peter
Old May 31st 2004, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

We are off to Melbourne . Where are you headin?
Old May 31st 2004, 9:13 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: leaving tomorrow

Hiya dawn a!

I think reducing everthing to 6 cases in such a short time would be hard.

I hope it all goes well, have a goold flight & take a last look at the Uk.

Bye
Mark
Old May 31st 2004, 9:25 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Jigsaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dawn a
hiya all,

well, everything is packed and we are ready to go. The computer is the only electrical item thats left, we pack it tomorrow.

Not alot to say really. am in shock that we have finally got here - all our stuff in 6 cases. Our baby seems to be the only one enjoying herself. We only started packing on Saturday morning so its been a bit rushed. That would be my only advice - don't start to pack at the last minute.

Just want to wish you the very best of luck! Packing in that short time could not have been easy. Hope you all settle in quckily and that your family come over soon and visit.

Let us know how it goes when you get there, it will all be stuff l need to know one day.

GOOD LUCK

Old Jun 1st 2004, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck and look forward to hearing from you when you reach "the other side"!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 1:03 pm
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dawn a
hiya all,

I know exactly how you feel. I still have 26 days to go, and I am in panic :scared:. Did not start to pack yet. So many things to do....:scared:

Anyway, I wish you luck and all the best in Aussieland !!!

Cheers.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Default arrived in Melbourne

hiya all,
thanks for the messages.
The morning we left, we weighed our luggage on the home scale, it weighed in at 126 kilo!!! Our emigration baggage allowance only took us to 80kilo (40k each), and at £31 per kilo we couldn't afford to pay the extra weight so hours before we left for the airport we bought our baby a seat, (we just had a bassinet booked before) that covered us for 40kilo and Cathay let us off for the remaining 6kilo! So weigh your luggage if you can.

Our flight arrived here Thursday morning. Flight was good and Cathay Pacific were excellent and very helpful, which was great as we were travelling with a baby. Rushed us through check-in like VIP's, carried our bags etc, not used to that. Then at Melbourne airport, staff at the luggage collection helped us carry it through to where the pickup point is. We were amazed how kind and helpful people were. We hired our car through Rent-a-bomb by email a couple of weeks before we left, and true to their word they arrived at work early to help us out. Our flight arrived at 6am, and they normally start at 9am. So we were on our way with a car, got lost a few times but finally ended up at our motel in Ringwood, where we thought we might want to live, but have since decided it is not for us and we have looked up and down and all around and have decided to rent in the Sandringham area. Two very different areas.

Only problems so far that we have encountered are, we haven’t managed to find the baby formula we usually use (HIP Organic baby formula) If anyone knows where I can buy this in Melbourne I would be grateful if you could let me know. Also, our baby’s car seat is not legal here, seems there is supposed to be some kind of buckle or belt that comes from behind the car seat and wraps around the baby seat (as well as the seat belt buckle). I used to drive with baby in the front passenger seat (we had no airbag in our old car) I have been told that this is illegal here. If anyone knows if I have been told wrong please let me know. Of course more problems are bound to be around the corner but we have only just started…

Today we made a car trip to Yarra Glen and Healesville for some lunch and treated today as a holiday to help us relax and unwind a bit before we start again tomorrow. It was very pretty and a nice day out.

Tomorrow we continue our search, but I feel more hopeful now and once we have found somewhere to rent I will feel a bit more settled. The first 2 nights here I was unable to sleep, the first being the worst as i also felt instantly homesick as soon as we arrived but this has worn off. I didn't expect to feel like that but it also could have been down to my being tired and jetlag, surrounded by our many suitcases I did wonder what I was doing here. I pity the cleaner that cleans around our bags in our room!

Anyho, wish us luck for tomorrows search - i shall report back.

dawnx
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Hey Dawn

Thanks for the update - it is great that you have found time to keep us all posted. Please keep letting us know how you are doing.

Good luck with the rental searching etc.

Peter
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:05 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Dawn, I hope you find something soon & get settled in ok. Look forward to seeing you at the next Ex Pats day/night out in Melbourne.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 6:57 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: arrived in Melbourne

Hi Dawn,

Good to hear from you so soon after arriving, we fly out in 41 days, I know i've started to pack a few things up already, so you did real well in the short time that you had, especially with a baby.

We are also flying in to Melbourne and staying a couple of nights at the Atlantis hotel before we fly on over to Tasmania. We are flying with Singapore Airlines, so hopefully they will be as good a company as Cathay Pacific.

Best of luck Dawn, keep us posted
Love Christine x
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:05 pm
Blue army down under!

nickram is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad it all went well Dawn, Hopefully one day we'll be in Melbourne too!