Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving soon- the last few weeks, what order did you do things in (removals etc)?

Leaving soon- the last few weeks, what order did you do things in (removals etc)?

Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Leaving soon- the last few weeks, what order did you do things in (removals etc)?

Hi,

We are leaving in October, I will be working until the day before we leave, so will my husband. We have two teenagers.

My question is how did you finish up, we think we will be shipping about 20 small boxes (photos, clothes, shoes and teaching materials!). All furniture needs to go. Some of it to the dump but some we may be able to sell.

How do you get rid of all your posessions and continue to survive. I just do not know where to start or what order to do all this in?

Luckily we sold last year, we will be in rented till the very last day.

Thank you for your help.
Tara
Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leaving soon- the last few weeks, what order did you do things in (removals etc)?

bump
Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Leaving soon- the last few weeks, what order did you do things in (removals etc)?

ebay!!! You'll be surprised what you can buy/sell on there and every dollar helps!!

Haven't moved yet so couldn't tell you what order to do things in. However, we are in the process of sorting out how much stuff we are taking and how much stuff we're selling
Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

We sold so much on e.bay and the rest with mums up the school. Some of our stuff would have needed to be renewed in a year or so, so rather than take it we got rid of it. We`re in rented now but have decided to leave shipping our bits until the week before we go....so will be without everything when we get there. Since we sold alot of stuff we`ve got to buy it all again anyway once we`ve get a long term rent....our sort term rent is full furn so no rush in the first few weeks

Sue x
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

We are still applying,but have sort of planned our move.

Going to do some boot fairs to clear unwanted 'bits'that family don't want-childrens vidoes,books,pictures,mirrors etc.We are going to do same as you-no furniture going,just boxes for personal things.I have said to family they can have what they want from house-furniture etc,have already agreed most of our large things.Luckily going to pay us for things too.Then with what is left I'm going to call a house clearance company to make me an offer and clear everything else.

To be honest with everything else to plan,couldn't be doing with ebay or local papers to sell everything off.I have three sons so lots to organise.

Everyone has own ideas though-thats the great thing about this forum,can gather lots of info and filter what you need or whats right for you.

Good luck-wish we had date to go!!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks everyone, its things like beds and freezers and forks! how do you cope without them and how do you get rid of them the night before you leave! Feeling swamped
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali south
thanks everyone, its things like beds and freezers and forks! how do you cope without them and how do you get rid of them the night before you leave! Feeling swamped

As things are very last minute for our stuff to be shipped, I`m going to ship half my knifes/forks and keep a few bits of old china....on the way out of sidcup box up the last few bits and just give it to Charity.

Sue
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:15 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We have been clearing out for months now. So far we have removed one cat, had 2 car boot sales, made 4 trips to the tip, sold half a dozen items in the paper... And yet I feel we have done nothing significant despite that.

We still have 2 cats to rehome, 2 cars to sell, a dozen boxes of unsold car boot stuff, several pieces of large furniture, a garage full of mowers / tools, electrical appliances...

We are hawking all of this around friends and relatives, advertising in the paper, listing on ebay...

The strange thing is I think we are taking as much as we can within reason. Its just that sofas are worn out, MFI furniture isn't worth the extra shipping costs etc.

And like the OP says, there is a load of stuff we can't pack until the last minute or can't throw away until the last minute.

The council or Lions will collect large furniture we hope otherwise I feel a skip hire coming on for the day we move out.

The one saving grace is we are expecting approx 6 weeks in the UK after we move out to finish off odds and ends.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by worzel
We have been clearing out for months now. So far we have removed one cat, had 2 car boot sales, made 4 trips to the tip, sold half a dozen items in the paper... And yet I feel we have done nothing significant despite that.

We still have 2 cats to rehome, 2 cars to sell, a dozen boxes of unsold car boot stuff, several pieces of large furniture, a garage full of mowers / tools, electrical appliances...

We are hawking all of this around friends and relatives, advertising in the paper, listing on ebay...

The strange thing is I think we are taking as much as we can within reason. Its just that sofas are worn out, MFI furniture isn't worth the extra shipping costs etc.

And like the OP says, there is a load of stuff we can't pack until the last minute or can't throw away until the last minute.

The council or Lions will collect large furniture we hope otherwise I feel a skip hire coming on for the day we move out.

The one saving grace is we are expecting approx 6 weeks in the UK after we move out to finish off odds and ends.
it is such a bloody nightmare, I can imagine all the work you have put in, on the one hand I think we should get a half of a container, so much of our stuff is old and by the time you cost everything is it worth paying to ship??? Plus all the horror stories and additional costs

eeek

TOo cold to do a boot sale in October!
Tara