Reload this Page >

Leaving sons and daughters?

Leaving sons and daughters?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

LiverpoolAcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving sons and daughters?

Hi all

Still looking into all the pros and cons of emigrating. However son age 17 is not keen to move as has girlfriend etc and wants to go to university with his mates. But we are still considering moving with our other 2 girls (age 9 and 6)

Has anyone else been through similar situation? Did it work?

Any advice willingly received!!

Martin
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:24 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leaving sons and daughters?

Originally posted by LiverpoolAcc
Hi all

Still looking into all the pros and cons of emigrating. However son age 17 is not keen to move as has girlfriend etc and wants to go to university with his mates. But we are still considering moving with our other 2 girls (age 9 and 6)

Martin
Is your son happy to stay behind?

Are you happy leaving him behind?

If he stays, I'm guessing he'll need financial support from you during that time. How will you do this?

Do you still have close family in the UK that he can turn to if he gets in a 'scrape'?
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

LiverpoolAcc is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah on surface he says he is happy to stay behind but whether he means it or is just putting brave face on i dunno
When he goes to uni will probably have to leave country to be able to afford to keep him !!
Julie(wife) isnt sure whether she can move that far away from him in case of emergencies although we havent had any in last 17 years !!
There is plenty of family around for him near where we live now so that shouldnt be a problem
I guess its the thought on both sides that you are 24 hours away and an expensive plane journey !!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:37 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Yeah on surface he says he is happy to stay behind but whether he means it or is just putting brave face on i dunno
When he goes to uni will probably have to leave country to be able to afford to keep him !!
Julie(wife) isnt sure whether she can move that far away from him in case of emergencies although we havent had any in last 17 years !!
There is plenty of family around for him near where we live now so that shouldnt be a problem
I guess its the thought on both sides that you are 24 hours away and an expensive plane journey !!
If it is a case of 'brave face', as long as he knows he can call you up in a couple of months and say 'hey dad, I made a mistake, where's my airfare', then that would be ok woulndn't it. I dont know if that has any visa implications or not.

I'd think seriously about the financial support thing. A 500 quid bung becomes 1250 AUD less exchange charges.

And you'd only be making an expensive plane journey in case of an emergency right - and thats always money well spent regardless of cost.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:50 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hi all

Martin
Is it not possible to put him on the application? then as long as he validates with you he can come and join you at a later date if he decides he doesn't want to be on his own back here. A lot can chenge in the next year or so especially in the life of a teenager so he might change his mind

Kala
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

Martin
my mum moved 4 yrs ago to perth
leaving me 21 year old married woman (no prob)
and 17yr old brother who moved in with mums brother and wife
here in the uk
he(now 21)
still lives with them and is and has been fine

why dont you put him on the application then just get him to validate
so he can come and go as he wants or change his mind at any time ??

thats what my mum did but stuborn little bugger wouldnt validate !!!

i think he will regret this when he gets to certain age
as he will have to apply off his own back

Michelle x