Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

Wikiposts

leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:20 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It must depend on the area you live in, i still haven't seen a Huntsman spider, and i've been here 14 years now !! I also found the cockroaches were worse down in Sydney

hiya eric
we have had two and they were big just ask darren ha ha ha

leanne
Old Mar 26th 2005, 3:57 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axl rose
I have just been offered a job in Brisbane and they want me there by mid June.
The financial package seems attractive - it's just come as a big shock to the system.

I stumbled across this website and was amazed how helpful everyone appears to be. I will no doubt be spending hours looking through others peoples threads.

I thought I would start my own however simply to ask if there is any useful advice you have, as currently our heads are in a spin.

Going over on an employer sponsored 457 visa with my wife. Currently our intention is to be there for 2 years (my contract states minimum of 2 years otherwise I have to refund certain costs).

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, I can't answer your query but we are also in Sheffield, heading to Sunshine Coast (30 mins fron Brisbane) in Aug. Where abouts are you?
Marie
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:35 am
Just Joined

axl rose is on a distinguished road

Hi 68mevy,

We are in Stannington and we are currently looking at renting an appartment in central Brisbane initially until we get our bearings.

What about you?

If you like you can PM us to swap ideas and advice.

All the best with your relocation!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

charlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant future

HI God luck with the move

We are planning to move out to Brissie in june too, after just receiving our visa 136 SI, the short wait over. We are hoping to settle in Alexandra hills, Wellington point or around Redlands somewhere. Are you going to be going for furnished accomadation as you going on he temp route initiallay.

We are only taking personal belongings and going to start afresh there, just trying to find out how we are going to ship smaller quantites now.

All the best

Charlie
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by leannefr
we have had two and they were big just ask darren ha ha ha
Have you read that the Geckos eat the Huntsman spiders ?

We have a few regular Geckos, maybe they get 'em while they're young

But i'm also quite keen on using pest sprays, we have the house done professionally once a year, but I also go around the outside with that new spray, every 3-4 months just in case

Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:48 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

I have just been offered a job in Brisbane and they want me there by mid June.
The financial package seems attractive - it's just come as a big shock to the system.

I stumbled across this website and was amazed how helpful everyone appears to be. I will no doubt be spending hours looking through others peoples threads.

I thought I would start my own however simply to ask if there is any useful advice you have, as currently our heads are in a spin.

Going over on an employer sponsored 457 visa with my wife. Currently our intention is to be there for 2 years (my contract states minimum of 2 years otherwise I have to refund certain costs).

Thanks in advance!
G'day Andrew and Clare,

Firstly, congrats on your job offer!

Having lived here (Brisbane) for 28 years, I'm sure I'd be able to answer some of your queries if you would care to be more specific. ABCDiamond, MLBonner and Pollyana (not limited to just these folks tho) are others who come immediately to mind as giving well balanced advice regarding Brisbane and the moving process. A search for their threads will probably shed some light.

I see that you've elected to rent a central city apartment to start with - good choice. That'll give you a chance to get out and about and explore various suburbs before committing to an area. You may even find that city living suits you! A good website for suburban information is Our Brisbane.

Our local newspaper is the Courier Mail which, apart from local news, has sections for real estate, jobs, motoring, entertainment, etc., which may be of interest.

As you're coming over in our winter, I'd recommend preparing to be cool at night, so pack some warmer clothing. If you use electric blankets, pack them too - no, I'm not joking; it gets damned cold here at night! Winter days here, however, are usually bright and sunny and around 20-25ÂșC, i.e. beautiful! Local weather can be followed at the Bureau of Metereology's website.

We are governed by three main authorities. The Federal, or 'Australian', Government deals with things applicable to all states, such as tax, immigration, social security (dole, pensions, etc.) The state government, in this case Queensland Government, may also prove useful for any queries related to state matters, e.g. transport (including licensing), education, housing (including rental board), hospitals, etc. For local government, the Brisbane City Council's website is an excellent source of information for community and lifestyle issues.

That's enough links for one thread (!) but I can supply many more links specific to Brisbane if you'd like them.

Please feel free to PM me if I can help further.

Tell us a little more about your situation? Where will your job be located? Is it just yourself and wife coming, or do you have kids? In which industry do you work? Will your wife be looking for work? Etc!

And on a less serious note ... would your wife like to join us mad chooks at the Brisbane Girls Drinking Nights (which we hold about once a month or so)?! We even allow the occasional bloke to join us ... if they promise to be good/wear a dress/do the fandango, etc!!! Watch out for the relevant threads which pop up from time to time!

Best of luck with your move,
Chris

P.S. Don't take too much notice of the scaremongers re huntsman spiders and cockroaches. Most of us live in houses which are insect-screened and you rarely see them.

Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:43 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader
G'day Andrew and Clare,

Having lived here (Brisbane) for 28 years, I'm sure I'd be able to answer some of your queries if you would care to be more specific. ABCDiamond, MLBonner and Pollyana (not limited to just these folks tho) are others who come immediately to mind as giving well balanced advice regarding Brisbane and the moving process. A search for their threads will probably shed some light.

I see that you've elected to rent a central city apartment to start with - good choice. That'll give you a chance to get out and about and explore various suburbs before committing to an area. You may even find that city living suits you! A good website for suburban information is Our Brisbane.

Our local newspaper is the Courier Mail which, apart from local news, has sections for real estate, jobs, motoring, entertainment, etc., which may be of interest.

As you're coming over in our winter, I'd recommend preparing to be cool at night, so pack some warmer clothing. If you use electric blankets, pack them too - no, I'm not joking; it gets damned cold here at night! Winter days here, however, are usually bright and sunny and around 20-25ÂșC, i.e. beautiful! Local weather can be followed at the Bureau of Metereology's website.

We are governed by three main authorities. The Federal, or 'Australian', Government deals with things applicable to all states, such as tax, immigration, social security (dole, pensions, etc.) The state government, in this case Queensland Government, may also prove useful for any queries related to state matters, e.g. transport (including licensing), education, housing (including rental board), hospitals, etc. For local government, the Brisbane City Council's website is an excellent source of information for community and lifestyle issues.

That's enough links for one thread (!) but I can supply many more links specific to Brisbane if you'd like them.

Tell us a little more about your situation? Where will your job be located? Is it just yourself and wife coming, or do you have kids? In which industry do you work? Will your wife be looking for work? Etc!

And on a less serious note ... would your wife like to join us mad chooks at the Brisbane Girls Drinking Nights (which we hold about once a month or so)?! We even allow the occasional bloke to join us ... if they promise to be good/wear a dress/do the fandango, etc!!! Watch out for the relevant threads which pop up from time to time!

Chris

P.S. Don't take too much notice of the scaremongers re huntsman spiders and cockroaches. Most of us live in houses which are insect-screened and you rarely see them.

What an impressive and incredibly informative, helpful, and friendly post!

Have some Karma Chris, you really do deserve it. Well done!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:44 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
What an impressive and incredibly informative, helpful, and friendly post!

Have some Karma Chris, you really do deserve it. Well done!
Damn I'm not allowed to give you any yet. Oh well...later
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:47 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi 68mevy,

We are in Stannington and we are currently looking at renting an appartment in central Brisbane initially until we get our bearings.

What about you?

If you like you can PM us to swap ideas and advice.

All the best with your relocation!

oooh.......nice to see a fellow sheffielder heading out to brissie!
we are on hold until next year, but also off that way.
(I live near manor top)
do you have any kids?

sue
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Be prepared for muggy humid hot weather, even in winter its not that cold there.Also be prepared for heavy rainy periods. You may find you want to pack an extra shirt or two to take with you to work each day during the hotter months, and some anti perspirant. Also be prepared for flying cockroaches and huntsmen spiders(they not killers though, but maybe some of the snakes in outer suburbs might be, as they are in Perth) Check the thread on "what you need to know emmigrating to australia" for more details. It's currently on page one I think and has a 5 star rating.

Aside from that, enjoy Brisbane. I found the locals reasonably friendly there.
June is winter and temps day would be low 20's and about as sunny and clear as you could ever imagine, its a superb time of year, nights can get into single figures jumpers a must, coats rare. Also the driest time of year, the rains come in jan feb mainly however they didnt arrive this year, dont know why very unusual, however if they had come thats the muggy humid bit, not all year.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:52 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
oooh.......nice to see a fellow sheffielder heading out to brissie!
we are on hold until next year, but also off that way.
(I live near manor top)
do you have any kids?

sue
Hi tiredwithtwins
Didn't realise you were from Sheffield, we're living near Firth Park.

And Proofreader, have sent you karma, fantastic info.

Marie
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

axl rose is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the help and advice Chris, once we have a clear understanding of our own questions we will drop you a line!

I have to say this again, you people on this site are amazing. It is a very scary/exciting/nervous time us and each morning I check this site to see that so many people have taken the time to help us! Please stop being so nice, everytime I look it makes me cry....literilly! :scared:

Anyhow heres a bit more info regarding our situation...

My name is Clare and I am 29 and my husband is Andrew and he is 32 and we have no children. Andrew is an accountant (hes not boring ... honest) and it is his job which is bringing us over. He will be based on Edward Street and the appartments we have been looking at are on George Street.

The first 3 months (ish) it will be my job to sus everything out and sort out are new home, chat with people and really just to investigate everything. This also gives me time to settle in and then our weekend can be relatively free to see the sights etc. This time will also give me chance to see what it is I would like to do in Aus. I am currently an assistant bank manager and I thought I could carry on with that line of work, however when you change you life so drastically why not change job to and do something a little more interesting/exciting.

In reply to your very kind offer of a girlie night out, that would be fab. I love a good drink and it would be great to meet you guys and put a face to the messages.

Thanks again for your help!
Clare and Andrew x
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ProofReader
G'day Andrew and Clare,

Chris

Karma for this very informative and helpful post has now been given