Reload this Page >

leaving school age in australia

leaving school age in australia

Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

mmarkmet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaving school age in australia

Hi everyone,
Wondered if anyone out there has any idea what the school leaving age is in australia. im thinking its 18. My querie is that by the time we emigrate our son will be 16 and will have left school in this country. Would he have to go to school for another 2 years in oz. He is not too happy about this so we are hoping that this is not the case.

Thanx
Chris.T
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:55 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: leaving school age in australia

found this on Wiki hope it helps
Australia
The current age which a child can leave compulsory education in the state of New South Wales is currently 15. However, the Government of New South Wales started considering raising the age to 16 or 17 in November 2006, with the Education Minister Carmel Tebbutt mentioning "all the research shows that if students either get their Higher School Certificate or an equivalent vocational qualification, then their employment opportunities in later life are far greater and so is their income-earning capacity." She mentions the change to the school leaving age is being combined with more subject options to make sure school remains relevant for all students.[2]

The state of South Australia also suggested similar proposals in March 2006, saying that their school minimum age should be raised to from 16 17 by 2008. Independent state MP Bob Such suggests that it may not happen for at least another four years, whilst in the meantime, too many children are leaving school without any qualifications. The age will be raised by law on January 1st 2009 to 17.[3]

Tasmania has for decades had their school leaving age set at 16, this was recently changed to 17.[4]

The Western Australian government is pushing the minimum school leaving age up from 15 in 2006 to 17 in January 2007 and to 17 in January 2008. This should stay set in place for many years to come.

Victoria changed their school leaving age from 15 to 16 in 2006.

The minimum ages from 2009 will be.

Northern Territory - 15 ACT - 15 (possibly changing to 17), South Australia - 17, Queensland - 17, Victoria - 16, Western Australia - 17, NSW - 15 (possibly changing to 16), Tasmania - 17

Some states allow exemptions for students of a certain age normally 15-16 to work fulltime instead of school
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:43 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

My son is 17 and finished just before xmas. Completing his school certificate. Has a place in Tafe now, with a view to further edu. via uni. He could have left a year earlier, with no high school diploma, but must have had a job/college place to do so.

Ste
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

He he, that will please my eldest as he will have to do an extra year at school. Not that in my opinion it will do him any harm. Next one down will do better as he will do a year less than the proposed 18 they are trying to change it to here.

Oh well, at least they will have more chance of a decent future than here
(as it stands here (UK) at the moment).

Lou xx
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiegreen
He he, that will please my eldest as he will have to do an extra year at school. Not that in my opinion it will do him any harm. Next one down will do better as he will do a year less than the proposed 18 they are trying to change it to here.

Oh well, at least they will have more chance of a decent future than here
(as it stands here (UK) at the moment).

Lou xx
Interesting that young Aussies flock to UK (mine included) because the career opportunities are better for them there!!! Mine went on a gap year nearly 6 years ago and hasnt come back - not likely to for at least another 6 years either. Meanwhile he is doing very nicely.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Interesting that young Aussies flock to UK (mine included) because the career opportunities are better for them there!!! Mine went on a gap year nearly 6 years ago and hasnt come back - not likely to for at least another 6 years either. Meanwhile he is doing very nicely.
The fact is that the UK has fantastic career prospects and is a land of opportunity for many people. It was the case when I moved there in the mid '90s and I guess it is today too.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul30
found this on Wiki hope it helps
Australia
The current age which a child can leave compulsory education in the state of New South Wales is currently 15. However, the Government of New South Wales started considering raising the age to 16 or 17 in November 2006, with the Education Minister Carmel Tebbutt mentioning "all the research shows that if students either get their Higher School Certificate or an equivalent vocational qualification, then their employment opportunities in later life are far greater and so is their income-earning capacity." She mentions the change to the school leaving age is being combined with more subject options to make sure school remains relevant for all students.[2]

The state of South Australia also suggested similar proposals in March 2006, saying that their school minimum age should be raised to from 16 17 by 2008. Independent state MP Bob Such suggests that it may not happen for at least another four years, whilst in the meantime, too many children are leaving school without any qualifications. The age will be raised by law on January 1st 2009 to 17.[3]

Tasmania has for decades had their school leaving age set at 16, this was recently changed to 17.[4]

The Western Australian government is pushing the minimum school leaving age up from 15 in 2006 to 17 in January 2007 and to 17 in January 2008. This should stay set in place for many years to come.

Victoria changed their school leaving age from 15 to 16 in 2006.

The minimum ages from 2009 will be.

Northern Territory - 15 ACT - 15 (possibly changing to 17), South Australia - 17, Queensland - 17, Victoria - 16, Western Australia - 17, NSW - 15 (possibly changing to 16), Tasmania - 17

Some states allow exemptions for students of a certain age normally 15-16 to work fulltime instead of school
It's good that this is changing in Australia. 15 is too young to leave school. It's an almost 3rd world situation.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's good that this is changing in Australia. 15 is too young to leave school. It's an almost 3rd world situation.
Just because you 'can' leave school at 15 - doesn't mean that most kids do.

At my kids school, of approx 150 kids in the year, two left at 16 and the rest of them stayed until Year 12.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by NickyC
Just because you 'can' leave school at 15 - doesn't mean that most kids do.

At my kids school, of approx 150 kids in the year, two left at 16 and the rest of them stayed until Year 12.
Fair point. I just think there should be on option to leave school at 15.