Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Perth - Money transfer, Help!

Leaving for Perth - Money transfer, Help!

Old Jun 19th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tartan Sunburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving for Perth - Money transfer, Help!

Hi

House sale goes through Friday and the money will be sitting in a Nationwide Account until we transfer into $ AUS. We thought we where going to transfer the money from UK when we got to Perth WA as we don't have an account open over there.... however.

I have just been into the bank and they informed to me to transfer large amounts of money (over £50K) you have to be present in the branch with ID or fill in forms from Australia and post them to UK - this could take upto 2 weeks.

We have an account with HIFX.

What has everyone else done, and is it better to transfer the money BEFORE you leave UK (depending on interest rate)

Hope everything is going well for every one. Thought we had things sorted, packers arrive on Wednesday!!!

Cheers

Zoe
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leaving for Perth - Money transfer, Help!

Originally Posted by Tartan Sunburn
Hi

House sale goes through Friday and the money will be sitting in a Nationwide Account until we transfer into $ AUS. We thought we where going to transfer the money from UK when we got to Perth WA as we don't have an account open over there.... however.

I have just been into the bank and they informed to me to transfer large amounts of money (over £50K) you have to be present in the branch with ID or fill in forms from Australia and post them to UK - this could take upto 2 weeks.

What has everyone else done, and is it better to transfer the money BEFORE you leave UK (depending on interest rate)

Hope everything is going well for every one. Thought we had things sorted, packers arrive on Wednesday!!!

Cheers

Zoe
I have spoken to my bank about this and they advised that I set mu Mum up as power of attorney on theaccount. It doesn't cost anything and she can go into the branch and transfer the funds for us.

Perhaps otherscould confirm this works and I haven't been misled at all.

Thanks

Debs
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:19 pm
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

Just another thought, make sure that you get the commercial exchange rate, not the tourist one....just in case you haven't been told this already!

Originally Posted by Tartan Sunburn
Hi

Cheers

Zoe
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by luchi
Just another thought, make sure that you get the commercial exchange rate, not the tourist one....just in case you haven't been told this already!
I didn't know there was a difference. What is the commercial exchange rate at the moment and how do we get it?

Debs