Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving perth heading for the sunshine coast

leaving perth heading for the sunshine coast

Old May 21st 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving perth heading for the sunshine coast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you are really close to your family then it is virtually impossible to emigrate successfully IMO.
Agree to that
Old May 21st 2007, 11:46 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they come with you
If you are really close to your family then it is virtually impossible to emigrate successfully IMO.
Old May 21st 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
that would tend to work
Old May 21st 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by themerlin
Well does your own family (Kids & O/H) not count as family. Its not like you are leaving your whole family behind?
Old May 21st 2007, 11:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
Well does your own family (Kids & O/H) not count as family. Its not like you are leaving your whole family behind?
I meant Parents, brothers, sisters, close friends. If you are really close to these people, then forget it.
Old May 21st 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

I meant Parents, brothers, sisters, close friends. If you are really close to these people, then forget it.
I doubt that all the people who have gone before have not been close to family. I can undestand it can make it difficult, but its bit general to say you just shouldnt bother. I think by close you mean living in each others pockets?
Old May 21st 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I doubt that all the people who have gone before have not been close to family. I can undestand it can make it difficult, but its bit general to say you just shouldnt bother. I think by close you mean living in each others pockets?
Even if you dont live in each others pockets, after a time, whether its 6 months, 1 year or 5 years, you will more than likely go through times when you really really miss people you have known for a long time and shared your lives with. People you have a history with. How well you manage to cope with that I dont think anyone can know until it happens.
Old May 21st 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

glynnieandy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been just once myself and I was impressed with what I saw eg. everywhere is so clean, the climate is fab, the people are friendly and I know my I could give my 3 kids a better life style. It is isolated but as long as the airport remains in operation I will be happy.
Old May 21st 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glynnieandy
It is isolated but as long as the airport remains in operation I will be happy.
But you arent likely to jump on a plane every time you fancy a change of scenery are you.

Living on the east coast where you can see varied, 'other' places if you drive a few hours is hard enough but to have to get on a plane is in another dimension entirely.

You may well be happy being 'in Perth'. Just try to imagine living 'within' the nearest big town/city to wherever you live now and not having the option of accessing other places easily, even if you dont go to them often. Yu have the choice
Old May 21st 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
But you arent likely to jump on a plane every time you fancy a change of scenery are you.

Living on the east coast where you can see varied, 'other' places if you drive a few hours is hard enough but to have to get on a plane is in another dimension entirely.

You may well be happy being 'in Perth'. Just try to imagine living 'within' the nearest big town/city to wherever you live now and not having the option of accessing other places easily, even if you dont go to them often. Yu have the choice
I suppose I have to way up the feeling of being trapped in a isolated city with no mortgage or being isolated in a european city with a huge mortgage.

Either one is restrictive on your ability to travel
Old May 21st 2007, 2:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. Each to their own. All I know is most people who go back cite 'missing family' as the main reason. If you think this will not affect you then that's also cool.
Old May 21st 2007, 5:39 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just my humble opinion! (remember, they are like arseholes, we all have 'em and they all stink)!

Spent 3 weeks in Perth last year on a validation trip. Whilst it was absolutely beautiful and we spent the first 2 weeks dreaming of living there, we quickly realised just how bloody far away from the rest of the world it is. In a nutshell, after 3 weeks in a campervan, travelling the length and breadth of it (within reason - Pinnacles to Margaret River), we were struggling for new, exciting places to visit!

We are heading to QLD now, possibly SC, possibly GC...who knows? Gonna have a sniff about when we land and see what feels 'right'!
Old May 21st 2007, 10:29 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

no mortgage ? Do you know how much real estate costs in Perth ?

I suppose I have to way up the feeling of being trapped in a isolated city with no mortgage or being isolated in a european city with a huge mortgage.

Either one is restrictive on your ability to travel
Old May 21st 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you currently spend a lot of time having holidays to other parts of the UK or Europe the isolation will bother you. If you spend your weekends with friends at pubs or clubs Perth will be too dull for you and if you see a member of your family at least twice a week don't bother emigrating because you won't last 12 months. IMO of course.
wraps it up in a nutshell. At the beginning you won't notice it, all is new, beautiful and exciting. After a few years, you turn in circles.

And too expensive (housing, groceries) to live at the edge of the world.

Last edited by Evelin; May 21st 2007 at 10:43 pm.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
J
In a nutshell, after 3 weeks in a campervan, travelling the length and breadth of it (within reason - Pinnacles to Margaret River), we were struggling for new, exciting places to visit!
yes, that's my point, where are the exciting places? Hubby (lives in OZ for 40 years) and I watch every programm on the TV that's about Europe, just to inhale something new and breathtaking. My daughter made the right choice, she had a visa too but refused to move to Australia. She happily lives in London (ok, she can afford it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.