Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

Wikiposts

Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:37 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

Thanks to everyone for all your advice - it's helped us decide.

Looks like No relatives at all at the airport - we'll book a Taxi and tell the family not to come.

As for a family leaving Party - think we will bypass this one - could be too emotional and you know how much worse some people are after alcohol.

We are having a leaving do with my wifes school teacher friends on Friday - I think that'll be enough. Im having a night out in Newcastle with a group of mates and old school friends.

Thanks again
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:58 am
is it me or dave

The Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really nice
Default Re: Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

Originally Posted by The Chief
this is a great thread as it's so difficult to know what to do.

1st up no one at the airport for sure.

As for the leaving do, we are heading of at end of september the OH wants a big do but I'm not so keen. The leaving do is really only for people you don't see for ages and feel you need to say goodbye when they would be none the wiser for about 6 months if you don't tell them you leaving. You won't be saying goodbye to your close family as you will be seeing them again after any party and I know my mates would rather have a good night out on the beers without the partners about to nag at them.
I think the idea of circulating news of a leaving drink in a pub somewhere and anyone is welcome to turn up for a drink is the way forward.
Well I've convinced myself, good luck with whatever you decide.

Andy
Looks like I failed on this one, Ms chief is adamant we are going to have one, we were at a party the other night mainly her friends and she was getting everybody on her side and I was the bad guy so hands up I've lost but I will be going up to Newcastle with the boyz to make up for this defeat.

Cheers
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:56 am
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Dont think we are going to have a leaving party - dont think me and especially the wife could handle it emotionally.
Getting grief off cousins saying that we are being selfish not having a goodbye bash - "It'll be the last time we see you and we want a chance to say goodbye" - im sure we said we were going to Oz and not popping our clogs.
Also have decided to have no one at the airport when we leave - think its for the best.
Gonna have a night out on the town with our friends though - for old times sake.
ANy Ideas Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Mick,

When we get our visa !!

We are going to have a party with all our friends and family. We are also going to have a farewell party for the children.

Whatever you decide, do it for yourself and not because you are getting grief from family.

I agree with you about not having anyone at the airport. It would be awful saying goodbye like that.

Anyway whatever you decide make you have plenty of

Janine
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

Dont think we are going to have a leaving party - dont think me and especially the wife could handle it emotionally.
Getting grief off cousins saying that we are being selfish not having a goodbye bash - "It'll be the last time we see you and we want a chance to say goodbye" - im sure we said we were going to Oz and not popping our clogs.
Also have decided to have no one at the airport when we leave - think its for the best.
Gonna have a night out on the town with our friends though - for old times sake.
Hey Mick

Before we left the UK, we lived in London but I'm from the NE originally. We didn't have a goodbye party for our friends in London as we saw them individually. It was just too much. We ended up saying goodbye, going out for drinks/meals for about every night for three weeks. By the end of it we were physically and emotionally shattered.

We did the opposite when I returned home to the NE (see still calling it home!) before heading off as we had a goodbye party for the family and friends who still live there. It was much nicer. Still emotional but less tiring than trying to see people individually. We didn't do much - just had people round at my folks - but everyone really appreciated the chance to say goodbye to us. I hadn't realised how much my friends were going to miss me until one of them made a speech that took me totally by surprise.

Saying goodbye is hard and it is emotional but I think its something that you have to do. And its important to say goodbye properly because in some ways you are saying goodbye to your old life. But at the end of the day, do what feels right for you. In my experience, whatever you choose to do your real friends and family will follow. And they're the people you need to say goodbye to. Hope all goes well and good luck with the move.

F
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for all your advice - it's helped us decide.

Looks like No relatives at all at the airport - we'll book a Taxi and tell the family not to come.

As for a family leaving Party - think we will bypass this one - could be too emotional and you know how much worse some people are after alcohol.

We are having a leaving do with my wifes school teacher friends on Friday - I think that'll be enough. Im having a night out in Newcastle with a group of mates and old school friends.

Thanks again
Oops! Sorry just read this. Didn't want you to think that I was trying to tell you what to do.

You've probably seen this but a nice little reminder to make the most of your night on the toon.........

http://www.vsilly.com/vault/vault_fi.../SwedenvGB.pps

Glad you got things sorted and best wishes.

F
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by finsbury
Oops! Sorry just read this. Didn't want you to think that I was trying to tell you what to do.

You've probably seen this but a nice little reminder to make the most of your night on the toon.........

Glad you got things sorted and best wishes.

F
Doh! Try this one instead......

Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:27 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

Originally Posted by finsbury
yeah ive seen that before and its an accurate description of the Bigg Market - more of a Quayside / Central station drinker personally.

Sweden for me
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

hello all
me and my family hopfully are going next year to perth?? we was thinking about having a big bash for all to come . 2 or 1 week before leaveing?? dont think we want anyone at the airport. but it will be hard to stop the kids grandparents from comeing.. ararararara
is there anyone elses parents , that dont talk to them about going to oz. and just blank it out . because mine do . it is so hard. ...
allso what was it like telling them you have got the visa?
all the best
David
Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant futuresunshine9599 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello all
me and my family hopfully are going next year to perth?? we was thinking about having a big bash for all to come . 2 or 1 week before leaveing?? dont think we want anyone at the airport. but it will be hard to stop the kids grandparents from comeing.. ararararara
is there anyone elses parents , that dont talk to them about going to oz. and just blank it out . because mine do . it is so hard. ...
allso what was it like telling them you have got the visa?
all the best
David

hi dave

my kids are the only grandchildren and see my parents at least a couple of times a week so as you can imagine the are incredibly upset although they do try not to show it too much. when we got the visa they again tried to be positive but you know how much your killing them, the watershed in my family was when we sold the house my poor mum couldnt contain the tears ,I feel like s**** but i'm trying to do the best for my kids. it does take a bit off the joy of "starting a new life" but all i can say is we only a day away....

goodluck

xxxx
Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunshine9599
hi dave

my kids are the only grandchildren and see my parents at least a couple of times a week so as you can imagine the are incredibly upset although they do try not to show it too much. when we got the visa they again tried to be positive but you know how much your killing them, the watershed in my family was when we sold the house my poor mum couldnt contain the tears ,I feel like s**** but i'm trying to do the best for my kids. it does take a bit off the joy of "starting a new life" but all i can say is we only a day away....

goodluck

xxxx
Personally we did'nt have one but parents ended up coming to LHR to see us off which we really didn't want, I remember walking down that walkway trying not to cry in front of the kids, turning round at the last min and watching my mum and dad hugging my sister, not a pleasant memory, it wasn't planned that they would come with us it just happened, but I have some good photos taken in the cafe at T3, once I was through air side I was ok and spent a fortune in Boots and WH Smith!!!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

caron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to all

Hi

We are having a 'Bit of a Do' but certainly no farewells at the airport, too much emotion for the kids (and the Mrs) . Its down to the individuals at the end of the day. Good luck
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

We did not have a goodbye party and regretted that we did not. If you decide not to and want a good night out with friends try Sunderland. Much better than Newcastle!!
Whatever yod do, enjoy and have a great time in Australia.

Regards

Mackems down under
Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:12 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Personally:
Leaving do - good Idea
Airport - Bad Idea
If we make it, it wont be for ages. I would like a HUGE MEGA leaving do - if I get my way I would make a weekend of it! Somewhere central for everyone to make it. I am asking people to come for as much or as little of the weekend as works for them, letting us know when they will be there so that we make the most of the time that they are there and also space out the goodbyes. I would like to have a big party that is full of fun and laughter to take the memories with us.
Was also thinking of having a local kids party for the kids to invite all their friends to.
Definitely would not have anyone saying goodbye at the airport and may even not tell anyone the details as mentioned on here....good idea. Recently had to say goodbye to my sister at the airport (She lives in the US) and it was awful so I know that I would be a basket case :scared:
Also want the kids to be excited not add to their own worries about the unknown.
Anyway whatever you choose I hope you have a good one!