Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

Wikiposts

Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:22 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving party Good Idea / Bad Idea ?

No formal leaving party for us, just telling everybody we will be having drinks and nibbles(but defo more drinks ) on 7th October come and join us if you can at our local. Smaller more personal affairs with our family and best friends just before.
BUT definately NOBODY at the airport I just want to get on the plane the day we leave and GO!
When the brother-in-law and family went out to Oz we booked to be in Turkey so that we wouldn't be tempted to 'see them off'. I think all your goodbyes and everything that needs to be said should be done before so that you can just sneak off (ok so I'm a coward )

Loz x
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Hi
We are having our party in the local football team's hall we would prefer a local pub but there is going to be about 180 people so i guess local pub out of the question
however we have already had wee moments with various friends so what we are doing for that night is to hire a singer/comedian who also does the disco and he will be told to keep things very cheerful
the airport i agree no one there however if the o.h. mother finds out she will be there and i can guarantee it will be a very tearful cheerio apart from me waving at the in laws and laughing lol

Billy & Vicki
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:46 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

If we get our visa, we will have a big piss up in the local pub and that way, people can turn up or not.

It will be incredibly hard to watch my family and especially my Dad, get emotional.

We are all so close now and I know it will be bloody hard.

On the other hand, this is their chance to say goodbye and hard as it will be on me, it will be harder on them.

And personally, I wouldnt deny them the chance to do that.

A very personal decision though and each one to their own.

No people at the airport though and we have all agreed on that one.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:01 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Dont think we are going to have a leaving party - dont think me and especially the wife could handle it emotionally.
Getting grief off cousins saying that we are being selfish not having a goodbye bash - "It'll be the last time we see you and we want a chance to say goodbye" - im sure we said we were going to Oz and not popping our clogs.
Also have decided to have no one at the airport when we leave - think its for the best.
Gonna have a night out on the town with our friends though - for old times sake.
ANy Ideas Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmm you're very clever, you'll go a long way.
I made the mistake of doing both of these things. Okay well first, the leaving party was actually a celebration and blessing of our marriage (that we had in the USA a few months prior) We came back a few months later and had a blessing and reception for my UK family (I married a yank) as I felt bad that they missed out on my 5 minute courthouse ceremony in America. This was not a good idea. Most of my family messed us around as to whether they were coming or not. Lots of we-will, no-we-won't game playing-type behaviour which my mum found very upsetting, as she was organising most of it.
Then during the reception one cousin got very drunk and told me I didn't love her anymore and was leaving her behind because I loved Jeff (my new husband) more than her. This was followed up later by her sister coming up and telling me what a bad friend I'd been and how I was letting people in the family down by leaving.
Stupid me thought they'd say something more along the lines of "Congratulations! I hope you're really happy."
Its strange what jealous haters emigrating can make of your nearest and dearest, who obviously think that me emigrating to America was akin to winning the lottery and I had refused to share with them. (if only they knew the reality of life in Dubya's right-wing paradise)

Also my mum kept it together all the way up to the point where we had to say goodbye at the airport then as we were about to go through to passport control, she literally started bawling her heart out. It was horrible seeing her hurt so much.

I was also naive in thinking people would keep in touch with me via email. Most of them don't. Emigrating certainly shows you who is with you for the long haul and who's a fairweather friend.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:27 am
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont think we are going to have a leaving party - dont think me and especially the wife could handle it emotionally.
Getting grief off cousins saying that we are being selfish not having a goodbye bash - "It'll be the last time we see you and we want a chance to say goodbye" - im sure we said we were going to Oz and not popping our clogs.
Also have decided to have no one at the airport when we leave - think its for the best.
Gonna have a night out on the town with our friends though - for old times sake.
I absolutely do not want a leaving do, I dont think I could cope with all the emotion and attention we would get, BUT, my sister has informed me that my other sister is organising a surprise leaving do, and as I am not supposed to know about it, I cant say anything.

We have got a wee while yet before it comes round so my first sister thought she would tell me so I can drop major hints that I dont want a farewell party.

But, second sister is very stubborn and will look for any excuse to have a knees up.

So I might not have a choice, but on a positive note it would save on the visits, it would probably take us a month to get round them all as we have a very large family
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Hi P.P.

YOU STILL NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET?

Billy
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:55 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

We had several leaving parties, then one biggy 3 days before we left at St James's Park, rather fitting me finks
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:02 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I had a leaving do and it was a bloody great night lots of family and friends from all over the place turned up for the night and a great time was had by all. Lots of great memories and photos and it does remind you of what you left behind. I also had my parents, brother and sister come to the airport to say their goodbyes yes it was emotional but I couldnt deny them the final chance to see us both and again we turned it into a great long weekend in London taking in shows and restaurants.

Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:05 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I had a leaving do and it was a bloody great night lots of family and friends from all over the place turned up for the night and a great time was had by all. Lots of great memories and photos and it does remind you of what you left behind. I also had my parents, brother and sister come to the airport to say their goodbyes yes it was emotional but I couldnt deny them the final chance to see us both and again we turned it into a great long weekend in London taking in shows and restaurants.
Spot on.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:17 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi P.P.

YOU STILL NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET?

Billy

Not a dickie bird.

But, I have requested that I hear today, and we will get our visas. Not much of a request.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:47 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

We didn't do the goodbyes at the airport as I didn't want the children (or me!) to get upset. I'm so glad we didn't as we were through check-in within 5 mins of getting to the airport it would have been a wasted journey for anyone. Without the upset it was like the beginning of an adventure for us.

Think we made the right choice for us when my daughter and I were queuing in the ladies and a lady said to my daughter "Where are you going on holiday?" and she replied "I'm not going on holiday we are emigrating to Australia" A lady in the toilets starting talking about she was emigrating and she'd just said bye to her father and set off crying!
It was hard enough tearing myself away from my parents the evening before we left, my dad wouldn't let go of me... I couldn't of beared that at the airport. At least in the privacy of my car I could have a bawl.

Best of luck x

We had a leaving do but it was a happy affair - pretty much a party to say goodbye - it's personal preference. You have to decide what is best for you.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

I'm getting upset already and we arent leaving until November but reading the thread so far brings home just what we are in for.

Mother-in-law wants to have a party for us (me - an aussie by birth, partner & our 15mth old daughter) which we are fine about, have also booked flights departing Heathrow on a Sunday so she (mother-in-law) can get to airport. OH told her over the phone this week our exact departure date to which she replied "and this is when I start bawling".... I really feel for her; her only other son lives with his wife and children in the Bahamas. Its going to be a sad farewell, no escaping that but I'm concerned about all this show of emotion and its effect on our daughter who will then be 19 mths old.

Saying goodbye to all her little playgroup friends and mums that we have come to know since she was 3 mths old will also be difficult. You forget that little people have their own little friends too.

oh boy, don't get me going...its too easy to get teary when you think of it all. Thankfully we have all my family around WA (Perth) so it should be easier at the other end (I've lived in London past 15 years).

I almost envy those who can have no-one at airport, its certainly a less emotional departure.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:37 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much agree with most on here, def no one at the airport, I cry when I am just going to pick someone up from their holidays!! Find it a very emotional place an airport!! So will be just us and the taxi man and will try to make out in our heads we are just going on holiday so the kids dont get upset!!

I went to South Africa for a year when I was younger and I can remember totally embarrassing myself sobbing and yelling out as I went through "I dont want to go!! I have changed my mind" surprised they let me on the plane as I did look mentally unstable!! Coming back to the UK was even worse as by then I didnt want to leave South Africa and there was about 30 people waving me off!!

As for a party, I cant believe the amount of people saying they didnt have one or not going to have one, we been planning it from the start of the visa application!!

Cant wait to have a HUGE party going to be an alllll day event, daytime for the kids and their friends, bouncy castles, entertainer the whole works!! And then the evening for our friends, I know it will be emotional especially for me as you can see above I cry at EVERYTHING!! But I want to see everyone possible before we go and just go out with a bang as they say!!

Not sure I could do the seperate leaving thing with everyone, that would be really really hard as to me that is far more intimate!! But will do a meal or something with very immediate family probably!

Everyone has different views on this one suppose you have to just do what your heart and head are telling you!! Just dont make the decision you will later regret!! What ever you do enjoy it!!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

we're having ours on Saturday, so will let you know
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:43 am
kerrie/wayne

hi we leave on the 18th july and had our party sat a good week before we go so we found the night not too emotional and we had a bloody good night and yes i would do it again....

airport situation oh dear my mom is very unhappy with me that she cant come to the airport but i dont want the emtional scene at at airport but i have said people can come to the coach depot to wave bye which we are dreading this is the hardest part give me the visa applicate the moving house ect ect any day ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.