Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Oz on your birthday

Leaving for Oz on your birthday

Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Leaving for Oz on your birthday

So, it's a long way off yet, and I haven't even got my visa (although everything is done) but I can't help to start think about leaving, getting some things shipped, and when to go.

I can't leave my rental until end Feb, as I signed for 6 months. Which is fine anyway as I don't wanna go before christmas.

It's my birthday beggining of April, so I thought that maybe I would leave for oz on my birthday. I know that some people can think of better things to do on their birthday than wait around at heathrow, and then be squashed in a seat, but I've not spent a birthday at home for the past 4 years, so I won't miss anything.

And I think it'll make the day double awesome. My birthday AND the day I start my new life.

I'll just have to make sure I start talking to random people on the plane as I can't be on my tod on my birthday lol.

Anyone else done it? I thought maybe if I open my prezzies on the plane, I might get happy birthday sung to me!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving for Oz on your birthday

Ah but it will be a short day, you lose hours flying East. Seems like a bit of a waste of your special day really! Cant you time it so you actually arrive on your birthday instead..Now, that would be a real birthday present!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe.

Or maybe, leave on my birthday. Then I still get my presents, and then I can tell the check in agent it's my birthday - and then get upgraded!

It would be good to arrive to a birthday party though.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We flew on my 40th birthday, they always say life begins at 40. My husband told the airlines and they gave me a birthday cake and sang happy birthday.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:24 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

we're here for a holiday at the moment, but we came over here to get married.

we left the day after our daughters 2nd birthday, that way we gave her a big party, got to see everyone we wanted before the wedding but without the same fuss as meeting everyone individually or having a seperate party.

Not sure if that helps, but it was good as we had a late night and slept well on the plane the next day!

Jenny
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I was once on a plane for my birthday (December 24th!).

I was 13 and we were coming back from Mexico from an all inclusive resort. We were stuck at the airport for 3 hours before we boarded. By the time we were boarding the plane everyone was very drunk from the resort & drinking in the airport). When they heard it was my birthday the entire lot of them decided to sing happy birthday! Good times.... good times

If it were me though I'd rather have my birthday a couple days before I left, or a day or two after landing in Oz. You probably don't want to have jet lag on your birthday.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We left the day before my daughter's 12th birthday. We told her that because we left the day before and landed the day after her birthday (crossed the Int'l date line) she would have to stay 11 for another year. The crew on our ANZ flight to Auckland did a happy birthday message for her, but we slept through it so the crew on our second leg Auckland to Adelaide did another message.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

lainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nice

We arrive on OH birthday's, so every one in the UK can still wish him happy b'day Sunday night when we land monday morning!
I always said I will try to get him sunshine for his b'day as its in the winter here, so I think I have pulled it off this year... hee hee.x
Happy Birthday to all you out there.x
lainey
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xzibit
So, it's a long way off yet, and I haven't even got my visa (although everything is done) but I can't help to start think about leaving, getting some things shipped, and when to go.

I can't leave my rental until end Feb, as I signed for 6 months. Which is fine anyway as I don't wanna go before christmas.

It's my birthday beggining of April, so I thought that maybe I would leave for oz on my birthday. I know that some people can think of better things to do on their birthday than wait around at heathrow, and then be squashed in a seat, but I've not spent a birthday at home for the past 4 years, so I won't miss anything.

And I think it'll make the day double awesome. My birthday AND the day I start my new life.

I'll just have to make sure I start talking to random people on the plane as I can't be on my tod on my birthday lol.

Anyone else done it? I thought maybe if I open my prezzies on the plane, I might get happy birthday sung to me!

I can't think of anything worse than celebrating my birthday stuck on a plane! It's like having you birthday while you're at work. I would try and flight out a week or so earlier so you can enjoy your birthday properly.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I can't think of anything worse than celebrating my birthday stuck on a plane! It's like having you birthday while you're at work. I would try and flight out a week or so earlier so you can enjoy your birthday properly.
I can think of one thing worse than having my birthday on a plane... spending my birthday in labour & giving birth LOL. My 26th birthday wasn't the "best" fun I had ever had
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I'd plan it so that I arrived here on my birthday...think arrival is much more special than departure.....
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:27 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TillyG
I can think of one thing worse than having my birthday on a plane... spending my birthday in labour & giving birth LOL. My 26th birthday wasn't the "best" fun I had ever had
Lol, the things we do. . . i spent my 21st 7 months pregnant. . . managed 3 sips of a gin and tonic without being sick!

Although i'd rather be 7 months pregnant than in labour . . . second one is due in april (eek)
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:50 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

We landed on KOHs birthday - totally lost the day, but we'll never forget our anniversary of beginning our new lives
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for everyones stories and opinions.

I think that it'd be more special to arrive on or the day before my birthday, and celebrate it in Oz.

It'll also be a good excuse to get loads of people together.