Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving loved ones behind?

Leaving loved ones behind?

Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving loved ones behind?

Hi

Wanted to post this as inspiration to others and simply because I am sooooo excited I had to tell someone!!!

We have been in NSW since Sept. 06, we had a terrible time with both families, however, to keep it short, I am an only child from my Mum and Dad's relationship, my Dad moved over here 12 years ago with his new Wife and kids and whilst on a visit to him, o/h and I fell in love with the place and moved over with our 3 kids! My Mum was devastated, she saw it that I was moving over her to be with my Dad, I was abandoning her after she brought me up, I was her only child and worst still, I was taking her only 3 grandchildren away from her - I cannot convey in words the relationship she had with my kids and how much they adored her............(breaks my heart writing that).

Anyway, after 2 years of hell before moving, terrible things said by Mum to me that can never be taken back, I have to say that we made amends before I left and since being here, she has taught herself how to use the net, we talk on the Tesco phone almost every day, we e-mail, she looks at the pics on our blog which I keep well stocked with photos for her.

Today, after telling me many times she could never come over here, she tells me she wants to come for my eldest childs 13th birthday in July!!!!!

Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to get across that no matter how low this rollercoaster takes you with those you are leaving behind, it can get better and they will adapt and overcome, I know because we are loved so much they didn't want to let us go. But live in hope and keep going with your dream, there were many times I nearly gave up!!!

Nikki
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving loved ones behind?

Glad things are working out for you. Just a heads up, I think Wendy set up a discussion forum just for expats with family back in the UK. She'll probably be along any minute to tell you about it.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Glad things are working out for you. Just a heads up, I think Wendy set up a discussion forum just for expats with family back in the UK. She'll probably be along any minute to tell you about it.
thanks for that, look forward to hearing about it.

I am like a giddy child right now, it has totally knocked my routine for the day, but sod the washing, ironing, cleaning, job applications.......I am on a high.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:52 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
thanks for that, look forward to hearing about it.

I am like a giddy child right now, it has totally knocked my routine for the day, but sod the washing, ironing, cleaning, job applications.......I am on a high.
awh nikki, thats great news. is she coming on her own, or is her partner coming? i bet you are sooooo excited. i presume the kids are over the moon, especially little E

i am excited for you now....................
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Wanted to post this as inspiration to others and simply because I am sooooo excited I had to tell someone!!!

We have been in NSW since Sept. 06, we had a terrible time with both families, however, to keep it short, I am an only child from my Mum and Dad's relationship, my Dad moved over here 12 years ago with his new Wife and kids and whilst on a visit to him, o/h and I fell in love with the place and moved over with our 3 kids! My Mum was devastated, she saw it that I was moving over her to be with my Dad, I was abandoning her after she brought me up, I was her only child and worst still, I was taking her only 3 grandchildren away from her - I cannot convey in words the relationship she had with my kids and how much they adored her............(breaks my heart writing that).

Anyway, after 2 years of hell before moving, terrible things said by Mum to me that can never be taken back, I have to say that we made amends before I left and since being here, she has taught herself how to use the net, we talk on the Tesco phone almost every day, we e-mail, she looks at the pics on our blog which I keep well stocked with photos for her.

Today, after telling me many times she could never come over here, she tells me she wants to come for my eldest childs 13th birthday in July!!!!!

Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to get across that no matter how low this rollercoaster takes you with those you are leaving behind, it can get better and they will adapt and overcome, I know because we are loved so much they didn't want to let us go. But live in hope and keep going with your dream, there were many times I nearly gave up!!!

Nikki
Really good to see this positive post. Feel for your Mum but you must do what you have to do!
All the best x
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:55 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Nikki

awe thats fantastic.......maybe she will love it and want to come and stay
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

I closed it down, it wasn't getting anywhere and I couldn't afford the advertising for two sites so had to make the decision of which to close. SInce my other site had over 100 members it was really a no-brainer
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
awh nikki, thats great news. is she coming on her own, or is her partner coming? i bet you are sooooo excited. i presume the kids are over the moon, especially little E

i am excited for you now....................
Hi SB

Only just happened now, John is at work!!! Thinking of not telling the kids as in kids world July is an eternity away....also I think it would be a fab birthday suprise for Daniel if we say it is someone else coming to visit and out walks my Mum!!!!!

I have checked flights as we always told her we would pay for 1 flight a year, Singapore are doing good deals if you book before the 28/2/07, so checked all that out, she just needs to take the plunge and tell me to book it. But I know my Mum and the fact she wants to come is basically the green light, that is how much she adores the kids, she said it is a special birthday and she really should be here!!!!

She has gone to bed to sleep on it and I think it will be sorted by tomorrow!!!

How's your little one? Is she back at school and are you ok?

Nikki x
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:02 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SB

Only just happened now, John is at work!!! Thinking of not telling the kids as in kids world July is an eternity away....also I think it would be a fab birthday suprise for Daniel if we say it is someone else coming to visit and out walks my Mum!!!!!

I have checked flights as we always told her we would pay for 1 flight a year, Singapore are doing good deals if you book before the 28/2/07, so checked all that out, she just needs to take the plunge and tell me to book it. But I know my Mum and the fact she wants to come is basically the green light, that is how much she adores the kids, she said it is a special birthday and she really should be here!!!!

She has gone to bed to sleep on it and I think it will be sorted by tomorrow!!!

How's your little one? Is she back at school and are you ok?

Nikki x
will pm you.
xx
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to you all for nice posts.

Sorry Wendy that site didn't work out.

My dream has always been for her to come here and fall in love with the place, if I am honest I think she will come and want to stay to be with near the kids, but she did remarry a few years ago. Her partner does not like flying and therefore won't even accompany her, that was one reason why she said she would not come!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Nikki
Lovely post Nikki...have a fantastic time when your mum arrives