British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Leaving house to sell in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/leaving-house-sell-uk-122110/)

a.petrut Dec 15th 2002 10:10 am

Leaving house to sell in UK

Hi everyone
Were desperate to move to SW Australia,to start a new job
Im considering leaing our house to sell here in Uk with the estate agents(its been on for 3 weeks,so far) Has anyone ever had any bother with doing this???
Im not really THAT keen to rent it out

firing1 Dec 15th 2002 6:06 pm

We are in the same position as you and don't really want to leave the house empty but need to go to New Zealand to start a business. So if anybody knows anyone who wants a three bed detatched in Coventry let me know.

I also heard that estate agents charge higher fees if they sell the house empty does anyone know if this is true.

mashiraz Dec 15th 2002 8:33 pm

Less likely to sell at good price empty as looks so cold and dreary. Might be useful to rent furniture if you want full price so it looks occupied.
Insurance might be an issue if unoccupied aswell.
Mash..

Originally posted by firing1
We are in the same position as you and don't really want to leave the house empty but need to go to New Zealand to start a business. So if anybody knows anyone who wants a three bed detatched in Coventry let me know.

I also heard that estate agents charge higher fees if they sell the house empty does anyone know if this is true.

scoobydooathome Dec 15th 2002 8:59 pm

Re: Leaving house to sell in UK

Originally posted by a.petrut
Hi everyone
Were desperate to move to SW Australia,to start a new job
Im considering leaing our house to sell here in Uk with the estate agents(its been on for 3 weeks,so far) Has anyone ever had any bother with doing this???
Im not really THAT keen to rent it out

Hi there,

Put the job off if poss and get the best price you can for your house as renting could be trouble......

3 weeks is not long at all give a bit more time we have ours on the market only 10 days, nothing will happen until after the new year...

Best of Luck,

Scoobydooathome.

Sandra Dec 15th 2002 9:06 pm

You might need to leave power of attorney with relatives/friends. We have house sitters in ours and plan to put it on the market as soon as our PR comes through, currently in Sydney on 457 temp visa. We left two relatives (both to sign) in charge. Do check out your house contects and building insurance carefully with what ever arrangements you make. Things like burst pipes especially over winter with no occupation of the property might not be covered.

kango_jack Dec 16th 2002 7:36 am

Hi we are in a similar situation, we did have a house sale but it all fell through as we were about to exchange....
We have decided to go and leave the house with family to sort out on our behalf - infact we booked the tickets yesterday.
We are still hoping that the sale will go through before we leave on 30/1/03, but we are lucky to have a bit of savings to tie us over until we receive the money.
Insurance has been a problem, obviously only buildings insurance needed. Our insurers had no problem with the 1st 30 days but after that they have put restrictions on the policy (all this basically means is that the heating must be left on low and someone must visit once a week - we were doing this anyway).
Heres to the housing market picking up in the new year for all of us!
Merry Christmas
Annie