Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving house empty - any advice?

leaving house empty - any advice?

Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future
Default leaving house empty - any advice?

Hi - We fly out to Oz on 28th November. Our house is still on the market and we want to leave it there for as long as poss. We think we can keep it on market till the spring and if it still hasn't sold then we'll rent it out.
My question is....has anyone got any top tips for leaving ahouse empty? We'll have someone come in every so often to check things over but should we switch all electrics/water/gas off and drain central heating system or should we keep it all on and ask our friend to run the systems for an hour or so? My husband is worried about frozen pipes etc.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Alex
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:00 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving house empty - any advice?

I haven't got much by way of useful advice except to check the wording of your home insurance policy. If the property is unoccupied for more than a specified period you may find that some of the "insured perils" - theft, escape of water amongst others are not covered.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Lock the front door and turn off the lights.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:16 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Arent you supposed to leave the loft hatch open slightly? gaaaa! can't remember why?

SOrry, my post wasn't in the remotest bit helpful!

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Oct 29th 2008 at 10:17 am. Reason: words missing! again! lol
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:17 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Lock the front door and turn off the lights.
you may need to do that the other way around!