Leaving Family and Friends

Leaving Family and Friends

Old May 7th 2003, 9:51 am
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Family and Friends

Hello All,
Just wondering how your family and friends feel about you leaving for OZ/ living in oZ (if ur already there)?

My family and friends were all supportive when we first talked about going, saying what a great opportunity it was and so on .. Now that we are further along, just completed our medicals, reality seems to be starting to bite.
My parents are worried about missing out on their grandkids, my sister is pretty devastated and says she never thought we'd actually do it ! Grandparents are saying come and see us lots before you go, cause when you leave we may never see you again. Friends have started getting v upset about not watching our kids grow up together, i could go on and on..

Getting a lump in my throat just writing it down. I'm starting to have some doubts myself but we've come this far and we're going to give it a go, if only for a couple of years. What about the rest of you ?
Old May 7th 2003, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving Family and Friends

Originally posted by ems
Hello All,
Just wondering how your family and friends feel about you leaving for OZ/ living in oZ (if ur already there)?

My family and friends were all supportive when we first talked about going, saying what a great opportunity it was and so on .. Now that we are further along, just completed our medicals, reality seems to be starting to bite.
My parents are worried about missing out on their grandkids, my sister is pretty devastated and says she never thought we'd actually do it ! Grandparents are saying come and see us lots before you go, cause when you leave we may never see you again. Friends have started getting v upset about not watching our kids grow up together, i could go on and on..

Getting a lump in my throat just writing it down. I'm starting to have some doubts myself but we've come this far and we're going to give it a go, if only for a couple of years. What about the rest of you ?

Ditto
Old May 7th 2003, 10:54 am
Bilbo

Default Re: Leaving Family and Friends

Originally posted by ems
Hello All,

Don't let pride stand in the way. Just because you said you would is not a reason.

Old May 7th 2003, 11:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going out (hopefully) on a prospective marriage visa to marry a lovely Aussie bloke.
Friends are being very supportive, even though some are upset at me going. Several are already planning to fly out to Brisbane and visit.
My family seem to have mixed feelings - my sister,brother-in-law & kids are all for it, and are just pleased I'm happy and getting settled at last.
I think my mum and dad are just refusing to accept that I'm gong though. They don't want to hear about our plans, and never ask how things are going. Its very sad cos I'm starting to feel as if they think they will never see me again, and its almost as if they don't want me to be happy.
I'm getting horrendous feelings of guilt, and I know it'll only get worse, but I also know that if I change my mind and stay in the UK I will never forgive myself for losing the chance of a lifetime.
Old May 7th 2003, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Andrew P is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I agree with all your comments, my fear is what happens when one parent passes away, how bad will it feel to come back for a week or so and then head off to the other side of the world! Is it possible to actually do that? How will my folks feel about never really knowing their (hopefully) future grand kids?

It's bloody hard isn't it, we haven;t even told my folks yet and we're planning to go in October, I'm just not sure what the right words are. Worse still because of health issues my Dad can't travel to Australia which makes it harder. Also knowing that we will be coming back to England every year is going to get very expensive and the last thing I want is for my wife to feel tied to comign back here every holiday we get.

What's to be done! Someone remind me why we are going again......
Old May 7th 2003, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ems

Have to agree with you. People started off great now all they do is find negatives. And parents well don`t get me started.

Footie chick
Old May 7th 2003, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

I think my mum and dad are just refusing to accept that I'm gong though. They don't want to hear about our plans, and never ask how things are going.

Hi

I know exactly what you mean. We've just come back from a month in Aus - I'd never been before and we wanted to make sure that my initial impressions were good. I loved it and wanted to tell my mum all about it. However, as soon as she realised that we were still going ahead with the emigration plans, she clammed up and we must have spent all of 5 minutes discussing it.

Initially when we mentioned the idea she was all for it and said "If I were 30 years younger I would do the same." Now it's obviously hit home that we'll be taking her only grandchild away. (Wish my sister and brothers would hurry up and have some kids to take the pressure off!)

I made the mistake of saying to her "Well we're not a particularly close family after all...."!! That certainly caused ructions although my brothers and sister agree with me. I'm afraid that I think we're going to be selfish and go for it anyway. My parents only live 60 miles away at the moment and we probably see them 4 times a year, if that.

Nicola
Old May 7th 2003, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes you have to be selfish to achieve what you want from life, not what your parents think you should do.

footie chick
Old May 7th 2003, 11:54 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Yes it all somthing i am worrying about at the moment. I think my mum is mainly concerned about missing out on any potential grandkiddies....

The main thing i worry about however is the grandparents. Will be a long long was away.
Old May 7th 2003, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

On telling our friends and family, they are really supportive, on things moving so quickly my other post, we told them again last night really makes things real.

His dad does not want to accept it but I think now has my family have said they will be upset but you are young and go for it. Live life.

I have already left my support systems and life when I moved to Scotland to be with my now hubby it was difficult, different culture, making friends again to socilaise,etc I wanted to go home, was really unhappy, but I would say it takes about a year at least to know, as now I would never leave here.

So I've been there to some degree and will be doing it again, I have decied to tell everyone we are going on Sunday but go on Saturday instead as I feel the airport will just be too much.

Carrianne x