Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving everything behind

Wikiposts

leaving everything behind

Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Taking absolutley everything and with this in mind have been trying to get some stunning french antique furniture. I know how much it has cost me for things for my favourite room (kitchen) and I don't think I can afford to replace them.

Asked them to pack the place as it is !!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

> what's an ironing board?
It's the next destination for your washing after you take it off the sheila maid ;-)

(I will also be taking my sheila maid with me - be it Devon or Wellington).

We were (politely) laughed at for talking about wellies when we were in the Bay of Islands, what are wellies called in NZ?

Regards,
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:15 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

wellies here are called gummies! Available is black,yellow or freezer works white.No green i'm afraid,thats a pommie thing
They are far better quality here too for some reason....pehaps its the lack of all those chemicals on the paddocks....i hope
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:29 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

To toss in my two-penneth... maybe it'll help.

We left UK just over a year ago, leaving the IKEA stuff (they have IKEA here) and bringing the good stuff (two two-seater suede sofas), along with all books, CDs, DVDs, videos, clothes, shoes / boots and keepsakes. Then add TV, video, multi-chip DVD, computer, and so on. (UK TVs need to be adapted to work here - costs around $200).

Packed most of it ourselves, removalists insisted on packing suede sofas, otherwise it wasn't covered by insurance. The stuff we packed arrived in perfect nick. The sofas (beige suede) were packed with a single layer of packing paper around them, stacked on end and wiggled, until the paper wore through - dirty black marks on the corners. Still haven't got them out - 'Er Indoors went through the roof. So - the message here - keep an eye on the buggers. To them it's just 'stuff'. To you it's important.

Only regrets - that we didn't bring the rest of the stuff (not IKEA) like weights, multigym, and so on. It was only about 4 quid per cubic foot to ship here in a container, but hindsight is 20-20....

Stuff took three months to get here, during which time we bought fridge/freezer, small radio / cassette, washing machine. Sat on exercise mats and re-discovered the art of conversation during those three months! TV here is as bad as UK, but no TV licence fee, so now just watch the films we brought, and any new ones we get on eBay.

Living in Oz is like living in the UK, with MUCH better weather and some elbow room! (We have a 116 acre property in the Blue Mountains as our 'weekender'. Just building a house to our own design on it, now.) Just don't come out here expecting to find the streets paved with gold - be realistic and prepared to work your buns off for the first few years to get back on your feet, and then ahead. Like anywhere else in the world, you get back what you put in, only here you get it back in spades.

Good luck!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:27 pm
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.

I wasn't sure if leaving everything behind was a good idea (it was hubby's). But reading your posts you've reasured me, maybe its one of those times when hubby has spoken sense.

Looks like we'll be shopping till we drop for the first few weeks.

And lets face it if family are all healthy and happy (hopefully) whats a few missing pots and pans in the grand scheme of things?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:43 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: leaving everything behind

Originally posted by arg
A lot of postings seem to be about what to/not to ship. Are there many of you who have left for Oz with just a suitcase of clothes?

We intend to do just that and leave all our clutter behind (furniture, pc, tv, playstation (working on the kids to do that) and start over once we arrive. Anyone with experiences of this they would like to share, good or bad don't hold back.
I am going back to OZ for the 2nd time next April and was going to get rid of everything as i have a home full of belongings already there. But in the 3 years i have been back here have built up a home full of goodies. Was going to car boot it all but when sitting down and working out what I can get in tea chests and dividing the cost to ship between the items inside, it came out far cheaper than selling it all here and starting again in OZ. Plus i am self employed and buy all my electrical items here trade prices and so I am taking virtualy new items. To replace all my cd's alone would be very costly. Furniture wise, Ikea and MFI stuff I am definately not taking with me. It is worth replacing new there, in my opinion.