Reload this Page >

Leaving debt behind

Leaving debt behind

Old May 22nd 2012, 1:16 pm
✡-CollDaisy-✡

colldaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving debt behind

Hey,

has anyone moved to Australia and left bank overdrafts or any other debt?
Does your bank come looking for you?....will my parents address get black listed?

Old May 22nd 2012, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving debt behind

Originally Posted by colldaisy
Hey,

Does your bank come looking for you?....will my parents address get black listed?

It will affect your parents credit rating
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Don't know but it should! If you can't afford to live in UK, not sure how you can afford to come here!
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:27 pm
✡-CollDaisy-✡

LOL I can afford to, I have just heard about people leaving their graduate accounts without paying them off.
But I will just have to pay it off before hand
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the best way. Not sure what happens to those people who leave debt behind, if they have to return to UK in the future! can't be good x
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:35 pm
✡-CollDaisy-✡

yeh well thats a point, hopefully I'll be able to make payments while I'm in oz?

is it best to open an Australian bank account before I go over there?
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

We didn't,however I know of a lot who did so that they had bank cards and cash waiting for,them when they got here x. There will be no problem transferring money back to UK however if you are sending small, regular amounts you will probably be hammered with fees and exchange rates
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

When you filled in your student application, you will have no doubt submitted the details of two forwarding addresses (points of contact.), so those will be the first places SFE will look. If you are planning on leaving the country, there is a procedure for doing so, and involves contact SFE to let them know your plans, they will then arrange how you will pay back the loan from overseas.

Points to consider:-

I ran away from debts persistently for several years, and now at 37 with a family, they still rear their ugly head and haunt me in more ways than one.....
      Old May 22nd 2012, 6:00 pm
      Sue
      BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I can afford to, I have just heard about people leaving their graduate accounts without paying them off.
      I'm assuming you are currently making monthly payments? If so just leave your UK bank acc open and just transfer money into it each month and that way you can continue to pay.
      Old May 22nd 2012, 8:02 pm
      BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
      isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

In my opinion consumer debt should be paid back but given that I got a more or less free education I would have no problems if graduates were to leave their tuition fees debt behind and I say hat as someone living in the UK paying a shitload of tax as well.
      Old May 22nd 2012, 8:08 pm
      BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, many people do it - unfortunately.

Does your bank come looking for you?
      Yes, they do sometimes try (phone, letters etc)... but no, there is nothing they can do - unfortunately.

will my parents address get black listed?
      "Addresses" don't get black listed, if they did then everyone who ever moves house would have problems.

Names, get a bad credit rating, the people who the debt was for, not their parents, their sisters, their cats or dogs.

When you arrive in Australia you have a new clean credit report, but if you have fallen into debt in the UK and couldn't manage your finances they you will have the same problem in Australia. If you can't afford to pay your debts then you can't afford to move country, simple as that.
      Old May 22nd 2012, 8:09 pm
      He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I think student debt is not covered by the usual 7 year rule, so you will still be responsible for it, even if they do not come after you for 7 years.

I really do not know what I am talking about here, but maybe something for you to research to clarify.

Last edited by kimilseung; May 22nd 2012 at 8:13 pm.
      Old May 22nd 2012, 8:12 pm
      BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
      Default Leaving debt behind

Old May 22nd 2012, 8:58 pm
      Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
      Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

yeh well thats a point, hopefully I'll be able to make payments while I'm in oz?

is it best to open an Australian bank account before I go over there?
      As Sue has said higher up the thread, leave a UK account open, use someone like www.tranzfers.com to move money regularly and pay of your debts from Aus. Thats the way most of us do it.
      Old May 22nd 2012, 8:59 pm
      Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
      Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
      Can I join you, I'll just put my tin hat on first before the flack starts flying.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.