Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving Australia and going back again...

Leaving Australia and going back again...

Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough
Question Leaving Australia and going back again...

I have been back in the UK for 5 months (and what delightful weather it's been I must say! ) after spending 10 months in NSW with my partner - we have got perm resid through his trade as a carpenter. We separated for a few reasons which have now been resolved and we are making a fresh start of it which means me going back to to live with him there. He was over here for a month and has just flown back. It will be another few weeks before I'll be ready to go.

My question is to anyone that might know - will I have any problems with my Visa (and also my son's who is 3) - when we get back Australia; as we have been away for a few months without my partner?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:23 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Australia and going back again...

Originally Posted by carojey
I have been back in the UK for 5 months (and what delightful weather it's been I must say! ) after spending 10 months in NSW with my partner - we have got perm resid through his trade as a carpenter. We separated for a few reasons which have now been resolved and we are making a fresh start of it which means me going back to to live with him there. He was over here for a month and has just flown back. It will be another few weeks before I'll be ready to go.

My question is to anyone that might know - will I have any problems with my Visa (and also my son's who is 3) - when we get back Australia; as we have been away for a few months without my partner?
Don't know about your visa - just wanted to wish you, your son and your partner the best of luck second-time around.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it a PR visa entitles you to leave and reenter Australia as many times as you like within the first 5 years, then after that you have to have a resident return visa.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Don't know about your visa - just wanted to wish you, your son and your partner the best of luck second-time around.
Thanks I really hope it all goes to plan this time it's all such an upheaval!!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:35 pm
ABCDiamond

As long as your visas do not expire, you will have no problems. The fact that you were apart for any length of time is not relevant.

If you try to return AFTER your visa has expired, then problems occur.

Good luck with everything

Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:39 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you needed a resident return visa if you want to leave the country and then return, even during the five years of your permanent visa?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:57 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I thought you needed a resident return visa if you want to leave the country and then return, even during the five years of your permanent visa?

you only need a RRV after the 5 years
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:58 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
you only need a RRV after the 5 years
Ahhh, that's a relief

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know about the visa, but wish you al the luck in the world, and hope you will be happy together.
Denise