Reload this Page >

leaving adelaide

leaving adelaide

Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

marknclaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaving adelaide

hi all
been a while since we've posted here, but have irregularly dipped in for a look.

after 3 years of living in adelaide we're moving on. We're intending to go to SE QLD like many others.

anyone done the same, or perhaps done it in reverse?
enjoyed adelaide but after 3 years we've a number of reasons we want to move on, happy to share those if anyone is interested
ive seen lots of info re places to live and looks like we're heading somewhere north of brissy.

be interested in comments "do it" "dont do it"

cheers all and maybe we'll meet a few of you in earyl 2007.

mark and claire (+2 since we left the UK)
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:36 am

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: leaving adelaide

Originally Posted by marknclaire
hi all
been a while since we've posted here, but have irregularly dipped in for a look.

after 3 years of living in adelaide we're moving on. We're intending to go to SE QLD like many others.

enjoyed adelaide but after 3 years we've a number of reasons we want to move on, happy to share those if anyone is interested
ive seen lots of info re places to live and looks like we're heading somewhere north of brissy.

Interested to hear why you are leaving Adelaide. Especially if you have a young family. I am due to arrive in Adelaide in January (emigrating on my own) and am wondering if I am going to the right place.

Brian.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

hi all

Hi Mark and Claire

We stayed with some good friends in Adelaide for 3 weeks on a reccie 2 years ago, and enjoyed our stay but we felt there was a limited number of things to do,we then went on to visit other places and decided there was more to Oz than Adelaide, we could have settled there but why accept second best when we loved the hotter weather in QLD and the nearness to other places on the east coast.

Now we are very happy we have chosen SE QLD and have quite a few friends who have moved here from Adelaide and they all say the same....better weather, more going on here, lots of things to do, places to visit...you got Brissie, the Gold Coast and Sunshine coast for starters and cheap flights to Sydney, and during sale times the rest of the east coast....definitely Go for IT!!
Lots of people are moving here from all over
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

You may want the Sunshine Coast more than the Gold coast if you have littleuns....some friends of ours with 3 under 7's have just gone to Buderim and say its lovely, but we love it here so take your time and see what suits you best!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

Check out posts by Jan3kids. She is in the process of coming up here from Adelaide as we speak
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

hi sherie
thanks for the reply. your comments strike a note. after 3 years we feel we've seen everything here..we certainly havnt BTW.
many people will tell you adelaide is a big country town , i now know what they mean, a lot of country pursuits, huntin, fishin, style -thats not us.
a few things in no particular order
winters bloody cold here-noone tells you that before you arrive! and because the house only has 1 heater , gaps under the front door no double glazing etc you feel it. Claire reckons she feels colder here than in london when shes in the house.
very dry so my skin has aged...perhaps im just getting old:-)
we are big(ger) city people seems very smalltown here sometimes after london, i guess many places would but it can seem REALY small here-somepeople like that of course.
claire likes to shop.....items are limited in adelaide, everything is sold everywhere , there arnt many individual places

above all we "feel" that it isnt right for us somehow whereas brisbane is (i work there sometimes) we need the big city near us , somehow se qld is more of the oz we were coming to when we migrated
we beleive that we will move at some point so with a 3 year old and a newborn it seems right to do it now before we get them into schools
sea is cold...and the beaches arent as nice as the eastern seaboard IMHO
peoplecomplain melbournes weather is up and down wellhere its up and down but over days rather than hours

whenever we put a list together we can seem shallow....but hey each individual thing in its own right isnt the reason its the combination

im certainly not saying we dont like adelaide, there are so many good things and we certainly wouldnt leave here to go back to the uk-we really do like it here, honest!-but on balance as you say why settle for something when you feel you can do better
ill stop rambling
Old Sep 18th 2006, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Hi Mark and Claire,

We moved from Adelaide back in March having only lasted 9 months there. We wouldnt change things for the world and are very settled here and more than happy with our new life.

If you want to ask anything please feel free to pm me

Good luck with your move
Marie
Old Sep 18th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Good luck with the move. We are hoping to move to SE Queensland too when we get the visa.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

hi brian
as mentioned in other replies i think we're ultiamtely not small city people i suppose-oh and my job(IT) its a very small market in adelaide so hard to get a job-once youve got one your fine but if need to move then it can prove difficult(took me 3 months when we arrived to get a job) ive looked since and i reckon it would be as hard. if you ahve any specific items happy to pm.

regards and good luck with any move you make!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

We too are looking to moving to the GC or the SC from Adelaide in the near future.
We are coming up for a reccy early next year.
It has been on our mind since we have been in Adelaide, but with visa restrictions we didn't really look into it. But now we know we can move, we have been thinking more about it.
The other half is a chippy and has found it very difficult to get a half decent job with a half decent wage.
There does seem to be better propects in Queensland.
Adelaide just seems to be dying on it's feet.
It is a really nice place to live but hasn't got anything exciting about it.
Recently there was the Adelaide show, which apparentley all the Aussies rave about and get really excited at the thought of going. A few of my friends have been and said that it was alright but nothing spectacular.
Mind you I must say once you have been to Florida, nothing compares, but that is another story. At least you have the choice to go to a theme park on the GC, there is nothing like that here.
I can see why people retire here because it does have a really slow pace, which isn't a bad thing but sometimes I want more.

Julie
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We moved from Adelaide at the beginning of 2005 - well In-fact it was rather more like ran from Adelaide.

Its a very long story and was well chronicled on Adelaide Brits if you want to do a search on posts by Elfin.

We were helped by a friend of a family member and ended up in the Bayside - now living in Thornlands - looking back many of our decisions were made by fate rather than reasoned well thought out thinking. But boy we are so much happier here than we feel we were or could of been in Adelaide. All I would say is look around as much as you can before you decide.

If you want to get in touch please just PM me, all I can say is when we arrived in Queensland and settled into our rental (we own our own house now) hubby said - 'this is what I thought Oz would be like'.

Good luck

Tracey.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

hi tracey
thanks for the reply, i read a few of your posts on adelaidebrits(but they have stopped the search so its hard to find them)
i think you've had a far worse experience than we've had! it was tough for us at first -claire arrived into adelaide 7 months pregnant in august 2003 (we missed the "to preggers to fly by 10 days") then i couldnt find a job in adelaide so comuted monday-friday to sydney in jan and feb 2004 before starting adelaide job on 1st march 2004....hell of a time. i guess we're now 'over" adelaide -or perhaps we're just suckers for punishment:-) defo that its just too quiet here, i work irregularlyl in brisbane so i know the city. we always go on our holidays to the sunshine coast , its just to country here. so we figure that qld is i think, as you say, more of the australia we wanted before we came. we only ended up in adelaide because we knew a few people here already(aussies). id spent the previous 15 years travelling to syd/bris on and off so hell knows why we ended up here really!

again thanks for the email it does help you make your mind up-opinions that is- we are very sure we are making the right move just need to sell the house get a new job etc ...been there before...

highly emotional time for us both again...its taken us 18 months to review where we are at and so "we want something better" but of course it means moving again something we thought we'd left behind. interestingly the cost of the moving taxes within aldeiade is almost equal to the cost of relocation AND paying the qld moving tax.so $ wise we will be even .
cheers again and take care
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:03 am
Just Joined

The Edwards is an unknown quantity at this point

We're right there with you....been in Adelaide for 1 year, but it just hasn't pushed all the right buttons for us so we have brought a plot of land on the Sunshine Coast and will hopefully be there January.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:33 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Been in Sydney for 3 years now, will be here for another two and a half years until middle daughter has completed year 12 and then we'll head for Queensland, will have a look around we think before deciding if it's Aus or back to UK (eldest daughter wants to go back). Definitely getting too expensive here in Sydney for a family of five. Don't like the GC (sorry to GC ers) so will look further north, hoping that we'll get our citizenship fairly soon so that we can take our time deciding. No real regrets coming to Sydney though it has been a great place to live in. We are origionally from small countryside area in the north east of UK. Just wondering if anyone has successfully transfered from Sydney to Brisbane?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

sinsbury family will become famous soon enough

Just to balance things out a bit. We arrived in Adelaide in June and first impressions weren`t great. Not as picturesque as Perth where we stopped off at. Settled in Fulham Gardens but me(the husband) was sure i wanted to move to the gold coast. I personally went there twice to check up an area called Arundel. Adelaide however crept up on me and we have now bought a lovely house near West Beach(move in on Friday). We have two young kids and thsi area of Adelaide suits us fine. Everyday living here is great at the moment. We may feel in a few years time we want to move on but at the moment lifes good. The climate since we`ve been here has been great too without the humidity. Long sunny days walking along the beach, I cant complain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.