Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leave for Rekkie trip in 11 days, should I be doing/bringing anything??

Leave for Rekkie trip in 11 days, should I be doing/bringing anything??

Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:29 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leave for Rekkie trip in 11 days, should I be doing/bringing anything??

Just wondering, should I be thinking about bringing anything with me to try set up stuff (ie bank accounts) for when we move over in February 2007??

Bringing my daughters school report, and husbands CV just in case, but should I think about bringing anything else??

Ideas, thoughts, help of any description would be very much appreciated!!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leave for Rekkie trip in 11 days, should I be doing/bringing anything??

Originally Posted by toon williams
Just wondering, should I be thinking about bringing anything with me to try set up stuff (ie bank accounts) for when we move over in February 2007??

Bringing my daughters school report, and husbands CV just in case, but should I think about bringing anything else??

My girls have been in school here for 7 to 8 months now - no one has ever asked to see their reports from the UK. If you are job hunting then bring the CV's (resume's).
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

CrazyCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leave for Rekkie trip in 11 days, should I be doing/bringing anything??

In terms of bringing things, all you really need is your passport (and money!).

In terms of once you are in Australia, if you request a POS/ATM card with the bank account you’ll need to use a friend’s Australian address, since they'll only mail it to a domestic address. Once you get your card, you can change your address back to your overseas one. But since the original opening address is domestic, and you don’t have a Tax File Number, the bank will deduct withholding tax from your interest earnings. So make sure when you return home you request a TFN from the Australian Tax Office and supply it to the bank. That reduces tax I believe from 48.5% to 10%.

And make sure you buy any guidebooks, reference books, real estate guides, or other things you will need back home to prepare for your final move.

Good luck!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Hope you have a good trip.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:19 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG
Hope you have a good trip.
Thank you TeresaG, dreading the flight because I am taking our 2 year old with us and we are both smokers, so the shakes will be kicking in I should think and the patience wearing a little thin!! Sure we will survive though!! Cant wait to get there!!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:42 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with your trip

let us know how you get on and what your findings are as we go on ours in november

thanks

jan xx
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toon williams

Hi toon williams

We have just returned from our rekkie trip. With regards to bank accounts take your passport and drivers licence. We opened our accounts with Westpac and by the time we arrived home they had sent our cheque books, handycards (cashpoint cards) and pin numbers. Also take 3 months worth of wage slips so you can apply for a credit card. This is worth doing to start building up credit history.
Having an English address does not matter as long as you have permanent residency status, though you will be taxed higher on interest earned until you you move there. We just left enough to cover the $5 per month charges.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 1st 2006, 7:45 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
Hi toon williams

We have just returned from our rekkie trip. With regards to bank accounts take your passport and drivers licence. We opened our accounts with Westpac and by the time we arrived home they had sent our cheque books, handycards (cashpoint cards) and pin numbers. Also take 3 months worth of wage slips so you can apply for a credit card. This is worth doing to start building up credit history.
Having an English address does not matter as long as you have permanent residency status, though you will be taxed higher on interest earned until you you move there. We just left enough to cover the $5 per month charges.

Hope this helps
Yes will do thank you!