Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leather sofas,buy here or there?

Leather sofas,buy here or there?

Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:04 am
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leather sofas,buy here or there?

Just wondered if anyone had compared the costs? We would like to get a new suite but wanted a decent one and if they are cheaper or even about the same price region...which to be honest im doubting in Oz ,then we will just wait.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leather sofas,buy here or there?

Originally Posted by M J
Just wondered if anyone had compared the costs? We would like to get a new suite but wanted a decent one and if they are cheaper or even about the same price region...which to be honest im doubting in Oz ,then we will just wait.
How much are they in the UK, I have no idea We have a beautiful leather sofa we bought here a few years ago, I will ask my boyfriend how much it was as I can't remember
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Buy here as the lifestyle over here and the size of the rooms in the houses may mean that you choose a different style than you might in the UK. Also many houses have 2 living areas, so you might need 2 anyway.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:41 am
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Izzy
Buy here as the lifestyle over here and the size of the rooms in the houses may mean that you choose a different style than you might in the UK. Also many houses have 2 living areas, so you might need 2 anyway.
We have a newish, small 3&2, and thought we would bring it, and if it looks too small will use it for 2nd living area, if we are lucky enough to have another and get a bigger one.

Sorry dont know price differences, will be interested in replies.

Hi Izzy, how are you?? god doesn't time go quickly?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by M J
We brought a 2 seater leather sofa and 2 armchairs with us but bought them 10 years ago so can't remember what they cost in the UK

We have just bought a 3 seater leather sofa for $1349 and an armchair for $899 from Freedom Furniture for our TV room
This did seem like a lot to me but I am sure we will have them just as long as the other suite - I love the look and feel of leather as it ages
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:44 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Izzy
Would agree with this - we have seen a leather sofa here in the UK (£1599 for three seater) that we would love to buy but know that it won't fit style-wise in our property in Oz. If you shop around (and at the right time of year), you can get good deals on leather suites in Oz... but keep in mind not all the stores are on permanent sale like DFS, Land of Leather etc all seem to be Also look at some of the smaller outlets as you can negotiate good deals (my sister got about $600 off her leather suite - 2 x 2 seater plus extension - by buying the one on display and getting a discount for a mark on the leather - which rubbed off with a tissue!)
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:49 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M J
Well, I think it's down to timing and luck.

We saw an amazing leather corner sofa with a chaise-long (and believe me, it's bootiful) at a Harvey Norman going for $1,000 less than retail as it was the last one (from the shop floor). It cost $3,700 which equals approximately £1,500. My wife thought that an equivalent sofa in the UK would cost no less than about £3,000....so we snapped it up. It's got a really neat feature which allows you to set the individual headrests to suit your head position.

In general, if you shop around and play one store off against another and generally act like Richard Gere in "Pretty Woman" when he is buying Julie Roberts a dress, you can get some excellent deals.

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Aug 14th 2006 at 11:51 am.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The missus has been dragging me round zillions of bleeding furniture stores looking at leather sofas and I have to say that $4000 will get you a lot more than a single 3 seater. In the better shops like Freedom or Domayne that sort of wonga will buy you a very nice 3 seater and a 2 seater and possibly an ottoman thrown in for good measure.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:57 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The missus has been dragging me round zillions of bleeding furniture stores looking at leather sofas and I have to say that $4000 will get you a lot more than a single 3 seater. In the better shops like Freedom or Domayne that sort of wonga will buy you a very nice 3 seater and a 2 seater and possibly an ottoman thrown in for good measure.
Oh, it aint a 3 seater. It seats about 8-9 people. It's immense...and funky....

I had to indulge my wife as she has been talking about owning a corner sofa since about 10 seconds after the Big-Bang.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:10 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I had to indulge my wife as she has been talking about owning a corner sofa since about 10 seconds after the Big-Bang.
LOL Sounds perfectly reasonable to me
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:19 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

just as a guide of prices here in the uk have a look at
www.landofleather.co.uk
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonni boy
just as a guide of prices here in the uk have a look at
www.landofleather.co.uk
Before I click, is that some S&M site?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:14 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Before I click, is that some S&M site?
i asked my mate's wife if she would stitch me a leather pouch up and leave a little hole in the front and she absolute sh*t herself but it was just for making a sand bag to panel beat petrol tanks.........well thats my story and i'm sticking with it
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by M J
Jimmy Possum stuff is lovely...get it here...not cheap..but you pay for quality.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

We did a quick check online at freedom, compared to Ikea they were a lot more expensive so we bought before we packed.
The Ikea sofas are lovely, glad we did it - mind you we aren't in Oz yet so we may regret it (going to Darwin too so maybe leather isn't a good idea...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.