British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   leather or fabric (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/leather-fabric-485777/)

rangersman2 Oct 7th 2007 2:52 am

leather or fabric

we are thinking about sofa's and we have now a fabric one that we brought from England and in the summer it gets really hot, its a big cosie one but we are now interested in a leather one,

I guess that they could be cold in the winter, but I have been told that in the summer you dont tend to stick to it as the leather breathes !!!. just wondered if anyone could tell me different.

esperanza Oct 7th 2007 3:32 am

Re: leather or fabric

We thought about leather when we bought ours, but didn't because of the stick factor - you can easily get around the cold factor with throws. I suppose throws could combat the sticking too!
Now I wish we'd got a leather couch that could be wiped clean...

Wendy Oct 7th 2007 4:44 am

My mum had a leather couch while I was growing up. I hated the thing, every summer you'd stick to it and when you stood up half your legs would still be on the seat :D

I wouldn't have a leather settee given ;)

northernbird Oct 7th 2007 5:13 am

Originally Posted by rangersman2 (Post 5396131)
we are thinking about sofa's and we have now a fabric one that we brought from England and in the summer it gets really hot, its a big cosie one but we are now interested in a leather one,

I guess that they could be cold in the winter, but I have been told that in the summer you dont tend to stick to it as the leather breathes !!!. just wondered if anyone could tell me different.

We recently had the same dilemma. We were renovating and decorating and to wheel our old sofas back in seemed daft. We went for leather in the end.

Dorothy Oct 7th 2007 7:03 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5396340)
We recently had the same dilemma. We were renovating and decorating and to wheel our old sofas back in seemed daft. We went for leather in the end.

We have leather and I love it. It wipes clean with a damp cloth and it's nice and cool in summer.

stu-carol Oct 7th 2007 7:24 am

We have leather and we are in Darwin. If you have fabric then your sweat just soaks into it, at least with leather you can just wipe it down. Plus in my opinion, leather lasts longer.

comet555 Oct 7th 2007 8:04 am

I'm with leather all the way. We have two little kids so we need to be able to wipe it down whenever they mess it up. Just last week my daughter my daughter spent 24 hours straight throwing up. The only place she was allowed to sit was the leather couch because we could wipe it up easily.

It's already been 30 degrees here and we haven't found the couch sticky at all. Mind you when it's really hot we turn on the ducted air conditioning :)

It wasn't too bad in the winter either. It was a bit cool, but we were bundled up in blankets anyway because there was no heating in the house.

I also think that leather last longer. My mom still has a leather couch that is 15 years old. It's still in great shape, she just opens the zippers up every few years and adds a little more stuffing. So if you get a leather couch it's a bonus if you can open it up. The one we have doesn't but I still think it'll easily outlast a fabric one.

KerryRyan Oct 7th 2007 8:21 am

What are the prices on leather sofas in Oz, we are wanting a new sofa but don't know if to get it here or when we get to oz, we are going QLD if it makes ant difference. Thanks:)

Dorothy Oct 7th 2007 10:31 am

Something I never thought I would say, but they're cheap as chips. We got our 3 seater & 2 big overstuffed chairs from LeCorneau (Adelaide) for less than $2000. I'm sure it's not the best quality, but we get tired of things quickly so don't care.

Timber Floor Au Oct 7th 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rangersman2 (Post 5396131)

lol @ sofas... its lounges !! sheeshh :)

Go for leather mate

comet555 Oct 7th 2007 11:17 am

We got a 3 seater couch plus a 2 seater for $1600 if I remember correctly (Eureka Furniture). I really like it and it didn't really cost much more than buying a cloth couch.

I'm sure if you wanted you could spen 3 times that amount easily.

Timber Floor Au Oct 7th 2007 11:32 am

Originally Posted by KerryRyan (Post 5396653)
What are the prices on leather sofas in Oz, we are wanting a new sofa but don't know if to get it here or when we get to oz, we are going QLD if it makes ant difference. Thanks:)

http://www.superamart.com.au/

Loads of others, like Scalli etc.. but cant spell name never mind find their bloody website