British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Leather Car Seats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/leather-car-seats-303100/)

flumper May 16th 2005 12:13 am

Leather Car Seats

Can anyone advise on leather seats in a hot climate? Looking at an X-Trail and not much more for leather interior but will our bums be burnt - never had leather before in fact never had much hot weather either!! :scared:

Thanks

JackTheLad May 16th 2005 1:30 am

Re: Leather Car Seats

Originally Posted by flumper
Can anyone advise on leather seats in a hot climate? Looking at an X-Trail and not much more for leather interior but will our bums be burnt - never had leather before in fact never had much hot weather either!! :scared:

Thanks

NOOOO!!! Don't do it! :D

I've got an X-Trail with leather seats. Plus the max tint allowed on the windows, plus we add those shiny sun reflector things when we leave the car. And we still stick to the seats on hot days. Backs of t-shirts and trousers soaking wet when we get out.

Go for the material that lets the skin breathe a bit, unless you enjoy betty swallox,

JTL

steveyp May 16th 2005 1:34 am

Thanks

No probs, We got our Xtrail in January and it has dark leather. We have seen a couple of 40+C days since then and it has not been a problem. Yes it gets hot but just run the air cond for a few minutes. Bodywork colour is very important though, go for silver or white as it will reflect the sun.
We also have a convertible with black leather, that is interesting when wearing shorts!
Leather is much easier to clean with 2 dogs, 2 kids and lots of sun cream.
If you are in WA I can help you get a great price too!

Happy Motoring

JackTheLad May 16th 2005 2:12 am

Thats cleared that up then :D

The answer is No and Yes,

Glad we could be of assistance :o

JTL

The Mackay Mob May 16th 2005 2:41 am

Thanks

We've got leather seats- love them.
We've survived summer in Mackay with leather seats, didn't find they got that hot. Occasionally a bit hot but not enough to burn legs in shorts.Never found them a problem.
Darkest tint on windows definately helped.
No regrets about getting a car with leather seats.

flumper May 16th 2005 11:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the mixed advice!!!!

We are going for silver, will probably get the darkest tint for the windows. Need to decide today as going to order it.

JTL - Do girlies get betty swallox then?!? :scared:

Bye :)

avroncotton May 17th 2005 12:03 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Thats cleared that up then :D

The answer is No and Yes,

Glad we could be of assistance :o

JTL

V. Funny comment - Made me LOL. thanks.

PIXAU May 17th 2005 12:05 am

Can anyone advise on leather seats in a hot climate? Looking at an X-Trail and not much more for leather interior but will our bums be burnt - never had leather before in fact never had much hot weather either!! :scared: Thanks

You would be better off with LEATHER seats because you'd stick to them ... a real bonus considering the handling characteristics of the X-Trail (on or off road!) My wife owned one for a while but then she gave up hairdressing and bought a Honda HRV (aka Hormone Replacement Vehicle) :D

igual May 17th 2005 2:38 am

I really like our x-trail and have no problem with the leather seats. Maybe I just don't sweat alot!!

:rolleyes:

JackTheLad May 17th 2005 3:14 am

Thanks everyone for the mixed advice!!!!

We are going for silver, will probably get the darkest tint for the windows. Need to decide today as going to order it.

JTL - Do girlies get betty swallox then?!? :scared:

Bye :)

The darkest tint is an 'after sales' thing. Its very annoying having bargained with them and got all the extras thrown in they turn round and say, now, would you like the really dark window tint and sound-proofing, it'll cost blah blah blah

JTL

JackTheLad May 17th 2005 3:15 am

Originally Posted by PIXAU
You would be better off with LEATHER seats because you'd stick to them ... a real bonus considering the handling characteristics of the X-Trail (on or off road!) My wife owned one for a while but then she gave up hairdressing and bought a Honda HRV (aka Hormone Replacement Vehicle) :D

Eeeeewwwww :eek: Sweaty hairdressers, nice image,

JTL

Stormz May 17th 2005 7:14 am

Originally Posted by steveyp
If you are in WA I can help you get a great price too!

Is that just for an X-Trail Steve, or any car? We`ll be in Perth in June and will have to start looking for a decent sized beast for 2 adults and 2 kids (at least). Have a Townace here in the UK (called Tarago in Aus), which we love so may get another one of those. X-Trail is nice too though :)

steveyp May 18th 2005 12:21 am

Hi Stormz, I have had dealings with a couple of Nissan dealers here, I paid $3600 under list for my xtrail and as it turns out I still paid a little too much. Basically sales guys will not walk away from a deal if there is still some profit in it, however small. I now however know where the best deal for a new Nissan is in Perth, not a great deal more than I saved but every dollar counts!
I would not buy secondhand here unless it was 5 years + old as the savings are just are not there to justify buying an older car. If I were buying used I would go for a 1997 (ish) Land Cruiser. New Xtrail makes good sense here, good residuals/economy/size and drive.

Originally Posted by Stormz
Is that just for an X-Trail Steve, or any car? We`ll be in Perth in June and will have to start looking for a decent sized beast for 2 adults and 2 kids (at least). Have a Townace here in the UK (called Tarago in Aus), which we love so may get another one of those. X-Trail is nice too though :)

Wol May 18th 2005 2:10 am

The leather seats are great!

We signed for window tints and then cancelled after getting advice from a friend in the business. They're fine if you only keep the car for a few years but if you're like me and they grow old with you, the film delaminates all over the place and the window looks as if it has the pox!

flumper May 19th 2005 2:56 am

Well the deed is done and the new X Trail Ti-L is ordered - due to pick it up Friday inc leather seats!!

We haggled hard with the dealership and got over $3600 off plus got them to throw in a towbar, darkest tinted windows, metallic paint and bonnet protection strip. Also there is a Nissan deal on just now inc. nudge bars, spots, kick plates, rood bars, cargo blind and boot mat. Reckon we did quite well!

PM us if you want dealership details. Really nice guys.

Betty swums here we come JTL! ;)