Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leasing, hiring or buying a car

Leasing, hiring or buying a car

Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Leasing, hiring or buying a car

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had any advice or opinions on cars when first arriving. Is it best to hire a car for a few weeks and then try and lease one or buy a second hand car? How much does it cost to lease? What are used car prices like?

Many thanks
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Leasing, hiring or buying a car

I think you will find it impossible to lease a car, with out building up some kind of history here, say 3/4 months, of course you may salery package and you can do this straight off, as for hiring, iam sure the hire companys will do you a good deal, or just go out and buy a car.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:57 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

When I get to WA first thing is renting a car(no address as will be staying in a hotel) then finding somewhere to live with the rented car, once I have somewhere to live, then I can buy a car.
You can't buy a car unless you have an address.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:51 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juddy
I think you will find it impossible to lease a car, with out building up some kind of history here, say 3/4 months, of course you may salery package and you can do this straight off, as for hiring, iam sure the hire companys will do you a good deal, or just go out and buy a car.

Leasing cars isn't like it is back in the UK, where you can arrange a 'contract hire' pay a montly fee and they do everything for you. Car leases are all factored into a salary package which your company may or may not offer.

I really didn't want to buy a car - a long term, say 2 year lease/contract hire would have suited me much more, but nobody seems to do them for personal/private use.

S
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Got a lease through work. As Swervo says, there wouldnt be too many companies willing to lease you a car unless you have a good credit history or through your company. Definitely prefer having a lease. Comes straight out of my wages and includes maintenance, insurance, rego, fuel and even a car wash. Just have to make up the kilometres on it. But I dont have to think about the cost of running it as thats already being paid for every pay day. Much cheaper than a car loan as well.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:05 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beachband
When I get to WA first thing is renting a car(no address as will be staying in a hotel) then finding somewhere to live with the rented car, once I have somewhere to live, then I can buy a car.
You can't buy a car unless you have an address.
Sure you can. Backpackers buy cars to travel with all the time. Not a problem.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Got a lease through work. As Swervo says, there wouldnt be too many companies willing to lease you a car unless you have a good credit history or through your company. Definitely prefer having a lease. Comes straight out of my wages and includes maintenance, insurance, rego, fuel and even a car wash. Just have to make up the kilometres on it. But I dont have to think about the cost of running it as thats already being paid for every pay day. Much cheaper than a car loan as well.
When I worked out the lease payments on my car it was just a joke, much cheaper to buy privately and use finance. I really can't see the benefits of leasing.

I bought earlier this year when they seemed desperate and practically named my price and interest rate. Leasing would cost me $1700 per month, I now pay $600pm and will actually own the car. $1100 buys a lot of petrol, insurance and maintenance.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I can see the benefit of hiring a car on arrival. Everything is so far apart here in Melbourne it was a g*t having to take the bus to see and buy a car.

Still, buying was easy. Showed them my driving licence and proof of address and that was it. Paid cash so took car immediately.

Some people may prefer to have a car inspected which would perhaps mean a couple of visits to see a car. I bought a 94 Mazda 121 for $3,500 to give you an idea of costs. 2nd hand cars are more expensive here than in the UK. There's no annual MOT in Victoria, but I still pay to have it serviced and checked once a year. I don't mind the car being old and having 230,000km on the clock, but I definitely don't want to be driving a death trap.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:04 am

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Sure you can. Backpackers buy cars to travel with all the time. Not a problem.
Dont you need a permanent address to buy a car?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes the seller lets the buyer use their address. I don't know how legal that is and how any driving infringements would get passed on to the buyer. But I've known backpackers to do that - sometimes even with an agreement that the seller will buy the vehicle back after a year or so and then find another person to sell it to.

It's probably quite illegal thinking about it.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:12 am

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Nope, they just want a contact address, a hotel would be fine.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:08 am

But what about rego? and comprehensive insurance?
Wouldn't you need an address for those?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:23 am

Contact address is fine for rego. Just let them know as soon as you move into a permanent address, and in the meantime ask the hotel you're staying in to hold your mail for you.
Individual insurance companies may be a bit more picky. While I travelled around Oz I managed to get fully comp insurance, using a contact address which was my sister in laws address in Sydney. Loads of people actually live in guest-houses, hotels, motels etc, and so in theory it should all be ok to get insurance.
I sold my (WA registered) camper van to a German couple who gave "Melbourne Backpackers" as their address, and there were going to get RACV insurance and recovery cover and I don't think they had a problem.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
When I worked out the lease payments on my car it was just a joke, much cheaper to buy privately and use finance. I really can't see the benefits of leasing.

I bought earlier this year when they seemed desperate and practically named my price and interest rate. Leasing would cost me $1700 per month, I now pay $600pm and will actually own the car. $1100 buys a lot of petrol, insurance and maintenance.
1700 a month is ridiculous. No way I'd pay it. I'm paying just over 600 for a new focus.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:06 am

Cheers for that johnnyx0 .
That is very interesting now!
I thought all along that I would have to have my own rental address etc to buy a car there.
This saves me on the idea now of - hotel - rent car - find apartment - buy car idea. I can just shoot straight from hotel - buy car - find apartment.
This is great.
Was only going to spend about 3k AUD on a car anyway, just something to get around in for about a year, so comprehensive insurance I will prob leave out as well as the car wont cost much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.