Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leasing, hiring or buying a car

Leasing, hiring or buying a car

Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing, hiring or buying a car

It's a 'premium' model so not to worried about the price (i.e it's not a Falcon/Commodore/Camry/Aurion etc that drop like stones). There are 6-7 year old cars of the previous model on around 40-50%. In any case I plan to upgrade at the 3-4 year point and a couple of grand either side is a risk I'll take.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by slipshot
I've just done a deal with the company I've just joined.

In return for giving up a salary of $10,000 per year, which would be about $6,000 in my pocket per year, I get a brand new Mini Cooper S with decent options, and all insurance, maintenance, tax etc and fuel included. Annual mileage is not stated either since they reckon on about 15,000-20,000k's a year.

Fuel is not going to get any cheaper so may as well have some fun and let someones else pay for it - ok, I'm paying for it, but the value to me per year for this car is about $17,500.

Ok, the alternative is to buy an old cheap car and thus save loads, but it's nice ot have a car and not have to worry about it...
Interested to hear how this works, I have got "car allowance" as part of my package for my new job (also in Melbourne) is this the "novated lease" thing!??
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

matty123123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived about 4 month ago and were staying in a holiday let for the 1st month. The day that we landed we hired a car for 2 weeks and then extended it for another week, the 4th week we finally bought a car after alot of test drives we just used the holiday let as a fixed address and rand the licence office a few week later who sent all the transfer docs etc to our new perm rental address. The rental was stressful enough but the car was worse I reckon, they are so expensive compared to the UK the second hand cars, hold the value loads better
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

We rented various cars I think we used Hertz most times but it was like throwing money out the window.
An wasn't very impressed when they didn't record details correctly and so we got a letter from NSW police to say my husband had been caught speeding 2 weeks after he handed the car back in !!!! Took a long time to sort out as they were adamant it wasn't they're fault.

I'd look into buying a car as soon as possible but be careful as some of the car garages are worse than UK ones, the one in Penrith saw us coming and oddly enough wouldn't touch it with a barge pole when we wanted to sell it !!!!! So just don't get lumbered with a liability like we did

Best of luck
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:02 am
Just Joined

smoke_n_mirrors is an unknown quantity at this point

www.drive.com.au has new and used prices

but they are a lot more than on www.autotrader.co.uk

old cars here seem to hold their value

James
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:33 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Gumtree has some handy used cars, seeming a better price than garages.
New models there are cheaper then other Countries, but second hand models do hold their value very well....TOO WELL!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have leased (novated leased with employer in tr-partite agreement) twice. Both times I saved loads of money on petrol, maintenance etc and made money above the balloon each time I sold the car.

First time I sold a car for about $7000 more than the balloon; second time about $5000 more. So...whatever you pay monthly you can get some of that back on selling.

Even if you do less than 15,000km pa you still pay 26% FBT cost. If that is less than your marginal tax rate then you can be pretty much assured that a novated lease will leave you better off financially than arranging a deal privately.