Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lease terms - 6 or 12 months?

Lease terms - 6 or 12 months?

Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Lease terms - 6 or 12 months?

I am about to sign a rental lease and not having rented before in Perth was wondering what advantages there in taking a 12-month term over a 6-month one. Will the rent be fixed only on the longer term or are all terms covered to the extent that rents can not increase by a certain percentage?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:23 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lease terms - 6 or 12 months?

Originally Posted by discobay
I am about to sign a rental lease and not having rented before in Perth was wondering what advantages there in taking a 12-month term over a 6-month one. Will the rent be fixed only on the longer term or are all terms covered to the extent that rents can not increase by a certain percentage?

12 months gives you more security.

They will probably have a rent review clause after 6 months, doesnt mean it will give up though.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I guess my dilemma is I haven't yet decided if I want to rent for 6 or 12 months. Originally I wanted to see how things worked out before buying. Maybe holding off buying is less risky than buying soon.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I guess my dilemma is I haven't yet decided if I want to rent for 6 or 12 months. Originally I wanted to see how things worked out before buying. Maybe holding off buying is less risky than buying soon.
Just beware of getting tied in to 12 months lease, IF you are'nt settled in a job.......
I ended up doing a 16 hour work day for 12 months due to getting a new job at the other side of the city
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

thermojetics is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just beware of getting tied in to 12 months lease, IF you are'nt settled in a job.......
I ended up doing a 16 hour work day for 12 months due to getting a new job at the other side of the city
That is an excellent sugestion. I would take this into account.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any such thing as a 3 month rental as want to buy as quickly as possible and don't want to be tied up for 6-12 months?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I believe that real estate agents need a separate or an amendment to their licence to be able offer 3-month leases.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nailbite
Is there any such thing as a 3 month rental as want to buy as quickly as possible and don't want to be tied up for 6-12 months?
Three month leases are quite common where the property is for sale at the same time that it is also offered for lease.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds promising just have to wait and see what is available when we get there
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:36 am
Just Joined

ClaireSlinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Lease terms - 6 or 12 months?

If you take a 6 month lease it will automatically 'roll' on after 6 months unless you terminate it in accordance with the terms of the lease. If your job is certain, take 12 months. If there is any uncertainty, I would go for 6 and let it roll on after that.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky they're only asking 6 to 12 months...we're one of two families vying for a place that is almost brand new, close to my husband's work, and a decent enough size in a good neighborhood and the landlord is asking for a 2 year lease. Since the other family was willing to lease that long, we said that we would as well. So, I guess we won't be buying for a couple of years (well, we were looking to build, so realistically by the time we get a mortgage and build, it could be 18 months anyway).