Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Learning to Surf in Perth

Wikiposts

Learning to Surf in Perth

Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Learning to Surf in Perth

Hi there,

I was wondering what the surf is like in Perth? are there some decent surf beaches, and beaches for all ranges of surfer - complete amateur to world class (I suppose they go to Margaret River). If there is then there must be surf schools as well.

I'm just wondering......as I defo want to learn when I go over there, and if I live in Perth (or Sydney..)

Cheers, and have a good day

SS
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:08 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Learning to Surf in Perth

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Hi there,

I was wondering what the surf is like in Perth? are there some decent surf beaches, and beaches for all ranges of surfer - complete amateur to world class (I suppose they go to Margaret River). If there is then there must be surf schools as well.

I'm just wondering......as I defo want to learn when I go over there, and if I live in Perth (or Sydney..)

SS
You really don't want to turn up over here all white and clueless in the surf, surely ?

Why not get yourself down to the hotpipe behind the powerstation or inside the harbour during a force 8 sou'wester for a little taster? You can then impress the locals here by going on about how you used to surf during the English winter. They love it and it will score you lots of free
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Of course........why didnt I think of that haha? But the waves are about 20cm tall!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:14 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Of course........why didnt I think of that haha? But the waves are about 20cm tall!
It will be perfect practice for perth then
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough...so surfing in perth doesnt really happen then.....hmmmmmm

Anyone else???
Old Apr 1st 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

happylad will become famous soon enoughhappylad will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Learning to Surf in Perth

Hi there,

SS
Hey dude,

Plenty of surf to be had in Perth my man! Morning best though usually as it gets blown out and choppy in the afternoon due to the 'Doctor'. (Local weather pattern called the Freemantle Doctor which brings 99% reliable onshore winds in the afternoon...weird huh!). Thus being, it's a mecca for Kite surfers as there is reliable wind.
For a decent learning beach break try Scarborough or Brighton beach (best early morning) and once you've picked it up a bit, there is a reef break about 5 mins drive down the road at Trigg point. It's a pretty safe reef break as it isn't too shallow or sucky. Hire a 'mini mal' board, numerous places to hire them from either on the beach or in local surf shops. Also heaps of surf schools, either through the shops or you will find lessons where the boards are hired from on the beach.

Enjoy, you'll be at Marg's in no time

Dan
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:17 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

The waves on the north shore of perth are awsome
Any surfer will tell you the the best waves are to be found on the west coast of any part of the world. Thats why Newquay is a surfing hot spot in uk.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds great, thanks for the advice. I cant wait to give it a go........I did it once in Byron Bay and loved it, and am really looking 4wd to learning this new hobby in Oz (wherever I settle, Perth or Sydders).

Cheers, SS
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

SS
try here

http://www.h2osurfadventure.com/cont...?id=4&langid=1
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

SS
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:39 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

Thanks

SS
If you fancy a trip - i'd go up to lancelin (2 hour north) The back beach is good old fashioned surf - not the stuff that rears up and plonks you on a sandbank (scarborough - cough)