Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Learning the lingo

Learning the lingo

Old May 21st 2004, 11:09 am
Living the dream.

The MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant future
Default Learning the lingo

'Scuse my ignorance but in terms of real estate and some of the posts i've read on here, what's a DLUG?

Answers on a postcard Please :lecture:

Dave
Old May 21st 2004, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

I believe it's Double Lock-Up Garage
SLUG = Single ...
Old May 21st 2004, 1:40 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Mr. Ee
I believe it's Double Lock-Up Garage
SLUG = Single ...
Others of possible use:

WIR = Walk-in 'robe (a small room that you can walk into and that serves as a wardrobe; some are not so small either!)

BIR = Built-in 'robe

"remote" applied to garage means "can be operated by remote control" rather than "is a long way from the house" (at least I think so!)

STCA = Subject to (not sure what) i.e. needs planning permission

OSP = Off-street parking

OFP = Open fireplace

square = a unit of area equalling 100 square feet (probably best visualised as 10' x 10') or a bit under 10 sq m.
Old May 21st 2004, 1:42 pm
Class 2 Guru

Mind you I have no idea what "BV" means. "This BV home..."
Old May 21st 2004, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Mind you I have no idea what "BV" means. "This BV home..."
I think you'll find that's "brick veneer". Not sure if they have them in the UK. They have a timber framework with brick applied to the outside and plasterboard for the inner walls. As opposed to double brick.
Old May 21st 2004, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

And STCA means 'subject to council approval'.

Just because the Real Estate Ads say you can add a second storey or build a pool - doesn't mean the council will necessarily let you!
Old May 21st 2004, 9:00 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

A couple more, if you're looking in Perth:

NOR = north of river
SOR = south of river

These had me confused for quite a while
Old May 24th 2004, 7:55 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by mozzie
I think you'll find that's "brick veneer". Not sure if they have them in the UK. They have a timber framework with brick applied to the outside and plasterboard for the inner walls. As opposed to double brick.
Ah, yes, those lovely cardboard houses that we're going to end buying one of. The brick isn't even really structural as far as I can see. It looks as though it's just big square sheets of "brick" stuck on the outside of the timber frame. (You can see vertical section lines that give the game away.) In the UK the entire outside wall is built up layer by layer by properly bonded bricks.

This is in Melbourne. Maybe there are areas of Oz where they build proper brick homes these days? I'm sure I saw one of those "new life" programs where the hubby was a brickie.
Old May 24th 2004, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Ah, yes, those lovely cardboard houses that we're going to end buying one of. The brick isn't even really structural as far as I can see. It looks as though it's just big square sheets of "brick" stuck on the outside of the timber frame. (You can see vertical section lines that give the game away.) In the UK the entire outside wall is built up layer by layer by properly bonded bricks.

This is in Melbourne. Maybe there are areas of Oz where they build proper brick homes these days? I'm sure I saw one of those "new life" programs where the hubby was a brickie.
Brick veneer is a proper layer of bricks (proper bricks built up layer by layer) on the outside of a frame which can be timber or steel.

You can get brick cladding which is a fake brick-looking surface that can be applied to fibro/weatherboard houses to make them look a bit more substantial. But that stuff's only for appearances and wouldn't fool anyone.
Old May 26th 2004, 10:59 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by nickyc
Brick veneer is a proper layer of bricks (proper bricks built up layer by layer) on the outside of a frame which can be timber or steel.
So it would look exactly like UK brickwork? A continuous bond all the way across?

You can get brick cladding which is a fake brick-looking surface that can be applied to fibro/weatherboard houses to make them look a bit more substantial. But that stuff's only for appearances and wouldn't fool anyone.
Which I presume is what I'm looking at on these new cardboard houses, with the complete vertical breaks (grooves) every few metres or so? What's underneath it then, just the timberwork? Yuk, how does it cope with rain?

On a closely-related note, how do I attach stuff to the inside walls? Good old rawlplugs aren't going to work, are they? How am I going to erect the clothes-drying lines in the garage? Or put up shelves? Or even just pictures?
Old May 26th 2004, 11:00 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by nickyc
Is it load-bearing? The word "veneer" would suggest not.
Old May 26th 2004, 11:02 am
Living the dream.

The MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the info. What a great mine of info this forum is eh?
Old May 26th 2004, 11:10 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by The MCs
Thanks for all the info. What a great mine of info this forum is eh?
A great time-sink too!
Old May 26th 2004, 11:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Mark.

With 99% of houses, even single brick V (which is like ours here at chez garrett) you have to hang pictures on the stud in the wall. Its crap cos you can't just put stuff where you want. My daughter still has a book case stood on the floor of her room cos we darnt hang it anywhere.

Old May 26th 2004, 11:14 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by hevs
Mark.

With 99% of houses, even single brick V (which is like ours here at chez garrett) you have to hang pictures on the stud in the wall. Its crap cos you can't just put stuff where you want. My daughter still has a book case stood on the floor of her room cos we darnt hang it anywhere.

I presume finding the stud is easy though? Tap the wall until the sound changes? Then at least I suppose it's easier, since it's sturdy wooden M-by-Ns and hence no need for rawlplugs, just drill a pilot hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.