Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

learning to drive in oz

learning to drive in oz

Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
My daughter is learning to drive here in Perth $42 an hour!!! she is doing well and has recently changed her driving instructer, she now informs me she feels more confident with this one. He is booking her in for her 2nd stage soon, which means $90 for an hour before and a hour test plus written one, then she has to do 25 hours driving plus I think another written test at the end, then she has P plates for about 2 years.

I dont like the way they drive here, no handbrake on at light etc, its all into first gear ready for take off!!! and dunno what happened to mirror, indicate ,manouver!!!!!

Very scary for a mother of a 16 1/2 year old!!!! :scared:

kath

Yea i hear you about the scarey bit!!! Thankfully im on my P plates so dont have to sit next to my 16yr old whilst she is learning!!!
I just keep watching those grey hairs appear on the hubby

Claire
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh me too, I let the old man take her out done it a couple of times and dont feel particularly at ease so to speak lol!!!, maybe after 20 years I'll let her run me back and forth to the bingo

Kath

BTW what happened to a cheap run around, she wants one but they all seem to be about friggin $6,000!!!! and they all drive their parents 4 x 4!!! (mind you I have got one and at least she can dent that one and hopefully she cant do 140k down the motorway, not quite the effect for a 16 1/2 year old lol!!!, but I have bought her pink car seat covers, wont be quite the same in my old Landrover lol!!!!)

Kath

p.s. if you see a youngish (34) with grey hair, its my old man, hes been taking her out again :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Tell me about it!!! we have been looking for a cheapy for ours too she's not driving mine i have just had mine in smash repairs as some kind person smashed a trolley down the whole side of my car..and now its been fixed it looks imaculate!
we have told her we will buy her a car when she gets a part time job to help pay for insurance and fuel ect...guess we can hold on to that money for while then the lazy bugger
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Mine works but she thinks the world and us owe her a bloody fortune!!!

Mm msaw that the other day in Woolies some old lady ran her trolley into the side of a car I said to my little boy really loudly "Oh My God look what that old dear did" she shrugged her shoulders and and walked away!!! and of course no-one to tell, did tell the girl in Woolies but she shrugged her shoulders and took a gulp of her water!!! I'd have been more than fummin coming out to that!!Tell me how many points is it for running a old crooney down?? lol!!!!

I gotta go to bed she out for a driving lesson tomorrow I need to sleep to forget lol!!!!
night night

Kath
Old Sep 5th 2006, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

It cost me $500 to get sorted, now i too scared to park it anywhere...let alone let the daughter anywhere near it
Old Sep 5th 2006, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

MrPowell is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
Where abouts are you heading too?
In WA you have to do a theory test to get your Learners Permit then after you have passed your practical test you have to do a log book for 25hours...not sure when that's changing to longer hours if it hasnt done already! after you have completed the log book you then have to show P plates for 2 yrs
I have only taken an automatic test but plan to do a manual before my 2years are up and then i dont need to show the P plates for another 2yrs!!

Good luck
Claire

Forgot to add that you have to do a hazard perception test once you have completed log book too!
We're headed to Perth, so thanks for that extra info! In England you have to get a provisional license, a theory test and a hazard perception test too so not much difference really except for the log book and the P plates (which they're talking about bringing in here too apparently). I am looking forward to driving too.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my licence for 25+ years but I'm afraid to drive on the left. Coming form North America I've always driven on the right. Hubby got the hang of it right away, but the first (and only) 2 times I drove I cut people off in the roundabouts. I think those driving lessons might be a good idea.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

MrPowell is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dotnron
I've had my licence for 25+ years but I'm afraid to drive on the left. Coming form North America I've always driven on the right. Hubby got the hang of it right away, but the first (and only) 2 times I drove I cut people off in the roundabouts. I think those driving lessons might be a good idea.
From what I've heard about Aussie's driving on roundabouts you've gone local!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

wow theres loads of us in the same boat! I'm 35, birthday coming up in 3 weeks and am going to take the plunge and learn to drive as well. Do you need to get any form of licence or register for anything or just call up an instructor and start straight away?
Kelly x
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs
wow theres loads of us in the same boat! I'm 35, birthday coming up in 3 weeks and am going to take the plunge and learn to drive as well. Do you need to get any form of licence or register for anything or just call up an instructor and start straight away?
Kelly x

Go down to your RTA and do a written test and once you pass they will give you a learner licence. Once you have that just book your lessons and off you go.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

oer missus, excuse my ignorance buts whats an RTA?
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Once my son gets his part time job (yeah right ) then he will start his lessons ready to take his test when he turns 18 in March. He will have to do a hazard perception test before he gets his L plates. A friend took her test recently and said that the hazard perception test doesn't expect you to use your peripheral vision. She waited before overtaking a car as there was a young child about to walk into the road and got done for hesitating too long. When she mentioned it to the woman at the DVLA she said 'oh I don't think we have ever had anyone who looked at the sides of the road before ' :scared:
Nicky
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs
oer missus, excuse my ignorance buts whats an RTA?

Road traffic something thats what my oh calls it lol. If you have a look on the queensland transport it maybe tell you where you nearest one is to you sorry im crap lol

132380 Call this and they will give you the nearest office to you.

Last edited by angel17796; Oct 11th 2006 at 1:59 am. Reason: Found a number