Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

learning to drive in oz

learning to drive in oz

Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:49 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of
Talking learning to drive in oz

well folks after 37 years and now in oz for 4 months i have decided it is time to learn to drive ....so for my 37th birthday the MIL bought me some lessons..
and today i had my first ever drive on the public roads.... i was slightly nervous at first but just thought what the hell i need to drive and went from being a bloody idiot with my arms everywhere over the steering wheel to doing preety well at 50k around the local area within an hour .......
what i wanted to add was how at ease i was with my instructor ... think the aussie attitude helps and also the price a lesson is $47 an hour with a long established firm on the gold coast ...... was wondering what the prices where for other people in different parts of oz for those considering taking the plunge and learning also
sir les
Old Sep 4th 2006, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Well done for finally taking the plunge!
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Sir Les

Hi - hats off to you!

I took my test and passed 1st time this year here in suuny Cairns as did our eldest son! Wont tell you how old I am or Bix when he took his

Anyway, we both paid $50 dollars per 1 hr lesson, average going rate here. A few are abt $2 cheaper but always fully booked!

Wait till you take your test - have to fork out a few more dollars then especially if you pass! The double lesson, the fee for the test, then, hopefully, the fee for your new drivers licence!!! All adds up to a tidy little amount But worth it!

Have fun and enjoy as much as you can - glad i did it at long last!!!

Gill
Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:10 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

'on ya. At least you wont be bringing any "bad" UK habits on to the Aussie roads.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
'on ya. At least you wont be bringing any "bad" UK habits on to the Aussie roads.

PMSL
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:42 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I cannot wait for Sir Les to pass his test as it will be bliss not having to drive him everywhere!

Sir Les's OH (Jonahs_mummy)
xxx
Old Sep 5th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Personally, I cannot wait for Sir Les to pass his test as it will be bliss not having to drive him everywhere!

Sir Les's OH (Jonahs_mummy)
xxx
My sister had a learners licence in uk never sat behind a steering wheel sat a writen test in qld and was given an open licence how good was that :scared:
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:20 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

My daughter's learning here in Adelaide at the moment.

She's (I'm) paying $90 for 2 hour lessons, she's going down the log book route where the instructor signs her log book off when she's competent in each task listed.

She just applies for her licence when she's got everything signed off and has completed 50 hours of driving altogether (including practice with a qualified driver - ie me). No practical test required as she's proved her competence on the roads to her instructor.

Do the other states have this option?

Elaine M
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

I took the plunge too and passed 1st time Ive just turned 34 seems a fair few of us have waited untill we got out here to learn to drive, i never really needed to in UK as the public transport was brilliant over there, to think i use to moan about waiting 15mins for a bus, over here try every hr if your lucky! (Just like to add that is my only whinge about our newlife downunder ...untill the new trainline gets down here ofcourse).
I was only paying $40 hr for my lessons over here in WA.
Had lovely women instructor who made me feel really at ease anyone in the Mandurah area who wishes to have her number feel free to pm me
GoodLuck with your lessons!!!

Claire
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

MrPowell is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
I took the plunge too and passed 1st time Ive just turned 34 seems a fair few of us have waited untill we got out here to learn to drive, i never really needed to in UK as the public transport was brilliant over there, to think i use to moan about waiting 15mins for a bus, over here try every hr if your lucky! (Just like to add that is my only whinge about our newlife downunder ...untill the new trainline gets down here ofcourse).
I was only paying $40 hr for my lessons over here in WA.
Had lovely women instructor who made me feel really at ease anyone in the Mandurah area who wishes to have her number feel free to pm me
GoodLuck with your lessons!!!

Claire
I'm another who has to learn when I get to Aus, so thanks for all the info. Not looking forward to having to have L/P plates on the car for the next few yrs though!
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:59 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrPowell
I'm another who has to learn when I get to Aus, so thanks for all the info. Not looking forward to having to have L/P plates on the car for the next few yrs though!
If possible get your uk license before you go. Then you dont have to do the hours under the qualifed instructor. You will save a small fortune. As i say if its possible.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

MrPowell is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by seang
If possible get your uk license before you go. Then you dont have to do the hours under the qualifed instructor. You will save a small fortune. As i say if its possible.
Unfortunately there isn't enough time (we're leaving on the 19th November).
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:06 pm
small steps long journey

Unfortunately there isn't enough time (we're leaving on the 19th November).
ah. best of luck in Aus. As I said earlier at least you wont bring any bad habits with you.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Where abouts are you heading too?
In WA you have to do a theory test to get your Learners Permit then after you have passed your practical test you have to do a log book for 25hours...not sure when that's changing to longer hours if it hasnt done already! after you have completed the log book you then have to show P plates for 2 yrs
I have only taken an automatic test but plan to do a manual before my 2years are up and then i dont need to show the P plates for another 2yrs!!

Good luck
Claire

Forgot to add that you have to do a hazard perception test once you have completed log book too!

Last edited by Madhouse!; Sep 5th 2006 at 2:20 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is learning to drive here in Perth $42 an hour!!! she is doing well and has recently changed her driving instructer, she now informs me she feels more confident with this one. He is booking her in for her 2nd stage soon, which means $90 for an hour before and a hour test plus written one, then she has to do 25 hours driving plus I think another written test at the end, then she has P plates for about 2 years.

I dont like the way they drive here, no handbrake on at light etc, its all into first gear ready for take off!!! and dunno what happened to mirror, indicate ,manouver!!!!!

Very scary for a mother of a 16 1/2 year old!!!! :scared:

kath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.