Reload this Page >

Learning to Drive in Oz

Learning to Drive in Oz

Old Jan 6th 2006, 6:58 pm
hrh
Just Joined

hrh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to Drive in Oz

Hi all, I am hoping someone knows the answer to this one.

Can a British Citizen gain a australian driving licence whilst in Oz on a Working Holiday Visa? I know if I get a licence in Oz I can convert it back when I return, but not sure if I can get one when I am out there. Any help or suggestions of where to find it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to Drive in Oz

Originally Posted by hrh
Hi all, I am hoping someone knows the answer to this one.

Can a British Citizen gain a australian driving licence whilst in Oz on a Working Holiday Visa? I know if I get a licence in Oz I can convert it back when I return, but not sure if I can get one when I am out there. Any help or suggestions of where to find it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Check the rules for the state/territory you'll be in, but usually there's not a problem provided you can show you are *living* in the state. At least for normal licences, if you're a learner there may be additional restrictions.

As to what you do when back in the UK - http://www.dvla.gov.uk unless you are planning to go to Northern Ireland where rules may be different.

Jeremy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:54 am
hrh
Just Joined

Thanks Jeremy for the reply. Do you know the names of the driving authorities for the local states? I have tried finding them on the web but have not found a site I can email a question to. I will be starting in Brisbane then heading up to Darwin.
Thanks

Originally Posted by JAJ
Check the rules for the state/territory you'll be in, but usually there's not a problem provided you can show you are *living* in the state. At least for normal licences, if you're a learner there may be additional restrictions.

As to what you do when back in the UK - http://www.dvla.gov.uk unless you are planning to go to Northern Ireland where rules may be different.

Jeremy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hrh
Thanks Jeremy for the reply. Do you know the names of the driving authorities for the local states? I have tried finding them on the web but have not found a site I can email a question to. I will be starting in Brisbane then heading up to Darwin.
Thanks
Queensland Transport
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/

More links at driving

Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:01 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland is www.transport.qld.gov.au.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
You have to get up a LOT earlier than that to beat ABC
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Oh bugger, I hadn't noticed
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Even when I'm only posting during the adverts

Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:17 pm
hrh
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Learning to Drive in Oz

Thanks for the help much appreciated, just what I needed :-)
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

may be worth trying this link i just posted for a free version of the test book

sorry could not be bothered to re write the whole thing with uploads

hope it helps

regards

jon

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...62#post3119762
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:15 pm
hrh
Just Joined