British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Learning to drive (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/learning-drive-351447/)

November11 Jan 28th 2006 7:19 pm

Learning to drive

Hi

My son is 18 and keen to learn to drive.

Would it be best to learn to drive in the UK and then to take the additional test in Australia, or would it be better to wait until we get to Australia and then take lessons?

Any advice gratefully received

Keith&Lol Jan 28th 2006 8:09 pm

Re: Learning to drive

Originally Posted by November11
Hi

Would it be best to learn to drive in the UK and then to take the additional test in Australia, or would it be better to wait until we get to Australia and then take lessons?

Any advice gratefully received

Hi N11, my son is also 18 and has decided to start learning, he is applying for his provisional next week. I don't think there is that much difference, and at least he will know the basics. Hope this helps
Lol x

Scotty123 Jan 28th 2006 9:34 pm

Im going to do it once im over there, im 17 at the minute and have a UK provisional... no real need for it but well.... :)

Tiawamutu Jan 28th 2006 9:40 pm

I was wondering the same, as me and hubby can't drive, and we are having to find an area to live with public transport close by.

lindseyden Jan 28th 2006 9:52 pm

My son was 17 when we came over and started lessons in UK but the we found the lessons cheaper here and he didn't need as many because it's done in stages so a lot of it is done with us very willing and patient parents.

Lindsey

QUOTE=November11]Hi

Any advice gratefully received[/QUOTE]

lindseyden Jan 28th 2006 9:54 pm

Incidentally, my other son is now 16 and he can start his lessons, take his test but not drive without a responsible driver until he is 17 unless he applies for an exemplary license on which he would be able to drive at certain times e.g to and from work etc.

Hope this helps
Lindsey

lel_smiff Jan 28th 2006 10:13 pm

I'm actually just learning to drive myself (I know, at 28 years old I really should have started sooner...)...

It's probably only slightly different here compared to the UK really, In NSW we have to do the theory test before getting a learners licence, but I think it's different in diff states, so no lessons at all until you pass that.
Shop around for prices of instructors (mine is $50), choose to learn in an auto or manual, and yes - you need a certain amount of hours worth of learning experience, but they don't necessarily need to be with an instructor:

I have a log book that each hour worth of lesson / driving needs to be logged by the person who's sitting with you. I need at least 50 hours before I can take my test, and the Supervising driver signs off to say you're ready to go for it. I know most people's supervising driver might be a registered Instructor for a few, maybe ten, lessons, and the rest of the time it's a friend or family member.

I hope that helps, but then It might be completely different depending what state you go to.