Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Learning to dive in Sydney

Learning to dive in Sydney

Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:35 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Question Learning to dive in Sydney

Morning all,

'Tis Mr GG's birthday in a few months' time and I've decided to splash out on a dive course for him (and me ). We're both complete novices, so will be looking for something that caters for absolute beginners. Anyhoo, I have a few questions I hoped someone might be able to help with?

Firstly, would you recommend a PADI or BSAC course? (I get the impression that the PADI courses are more expensive? Any other pluses or minuses I should consider for each? How long does each take?)

Secondly, Mr GG has asthma; will this impact on him being allowed to learn? Or should he be OK-ed if he undergoes the medical?

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations of particular companies (or ones to avoid!)?

Cheers,
Nichola
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:50 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Learning to dive in Sydney

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Morning all,

'Tis Mr GG's birthday in a few months' time and I've decided to splash out on a dive course for him (and me ). We're both complete novices, so will be looking for something that caters for absolute beginners. Anyhoo, I have a few questions I hoped someone might be able to help with?

Firstly, would you recommend a PADI or BSAC course? (I get the impression that the PADI courses are more expensive? Any other pluses or minuses I should consider for each? How long does each take?)

Secondly, Mr GG has asthma; will this impact on him being allowed to learn? Or should he be OK-ed if he undergoes the medical?

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations of particular companies (or ones to avoid!)?

Cheers,
Nichola
Going to get your ears wet then Nichola?
Me and the OH took the PADI course many many years ago with Dive Centre Bondi. We were both pleased with them, although Jules did fall out with the instructor at one point. Much does depend on the instructor and how well you get on with them. Also the size of the group and wear and tear on the equipment.
I've since used Dive Centre Manly a number of times for some nice easy dives on the north shore and harbour. Again I'd recommend them. The PADI open water course is 4 days and $350-400.

They normally insist on a medical from a doc's they specify. Don't think the asthma should stop Mr GG from learning.

Underwater is a great site with a good forum too.

hth
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

PADI courses are definitely more expensive than BSAC courses but you get qualified much quicker. I haven't done any PADI training here but from what I've heard Pro-dive are good for training and there are a number of branches in Sydney(I wouldn't use them for anything else but they do seem to be good at training). Depending on where you are based for PADI courses I would also recommend Frog Dive (at Willoughby, I think), Plunge Inn (at Chowder Bay) and Aquatic Explorers (at Cronulla), again I haven't learnt with any of them but they have all been very knowledgeable when I've gone into the shop. PADI Open Water Courses generally take 5 to 6 days including 4 dives. The main thing with the course should not be the cost but whether you feel the instructor is good and you have confidence in them

There is only one BSAC Club in Sydney (Sydney Sub Aqua Club) of which I'm a member. I don't know of any planned Ocean Diver courses at present but the club has a large amount of instructors and I would imagine they would be happy to arrange a course for the two of you. Costs are club membership (about $145 a year including a monthly magazine sent from the UK) plus material costs (Our Dive Leader manuals were £18 each plus P&P). Your training is free and provided by volunteers so it takes time but you also get the advantage of a group of 50 friends and an excellent social life. If you need more info on the BSAC courses it's probably best to contact the clubs training officer (Paul Furniss) via the website since I'm PADI trained and just doing my first BSAC course.

The best option from my point of view would be to pay for your PADI Open Water course so you get in the water and qualified quickly then join the BSAC club for further training, experience and a great bunch of dive buddies.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geordie George
As far as I know NSW are OK for Asthma and diving as long as you are signed off by a doctor (must be fully under control, not exercise induced and often they will want a chest x-ray to confirm). Unfortunately Queensland don't allow diving with asthma (or certainly did not a few years ago). Maybe best to dive a quick call to your chosen dive centre or put a post on Dive Oz's Forum