Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

<<< LEAKING SEA CONTAINERS >>>!

<<< LEAKING SEA CONTAINERS >>>!

Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Winglet66 is on a distinguished road
Default <<< LEAKING SEA CONTAINERS >>>!

Has anyone out there had water damaged goods due to leaky sea containers?

Oct 16th,
We have just been notified today that the container used by our removals company had cracks in the ceiling all our stuff has been stewing in saltwater since it left the UK! :curse:

I'll post the name of the company if they don't handle this situation properly. Luckily (hopefully) since we went with a large well known reputable company we'll be ok. We'll see.

All the removals companies contract the same few shipping lines to provide the boats and boxes. The shipping line and the removal companies must inspect the boxes - before stuffing them with your personal effects. In our case this wasn't done - The usual method is to close someone inside who looks for daylight entering the box. We did insure half the actual value. But leaks were not part of our considered risk.

Containers must have an inspection prior to loading and have an "MOT" called a CSC plate (container safety certificate) Certifying that they are dry wind and watertight.

This was the last thing we'd have expected. Watch this space for updates.

Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: <<< LEAKING SEA CONTAINERS >>>!

Thats terrible

Havent yet booked our removals company so keen to know who you used

Hope some of your stuff can be saved and I feel for you and your family, it must be awful waiting for your belongings and then this to happen, fingers crossed you get it sorted out

Julie x
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Thats awful, lets hope you didnt go with the Crowns, if they dont charge you for the damp, they wont give you nothing back.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hell,
what a nightmare.

Our stuff is getting delivered on Sunday. Nobody has mentioned water damage.

Who did you use, clues please?

GEMS
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:36 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

You poor things this is dreadful Here's hoping some of your belongings can be salvaged
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

so sorry this has happened to you ! its just more worry, was there personal things such as photos ect in there that was damadged, hope not !
sarah
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our container people took hubby inside to check for holes. Also, depending on how much you're taking, it's worth having a Reefer container. They are slightly smaller because they are refridgerated (normally carry consumables etc). They are in better nick for obvious reasons. Saying that, this has to be first "leaking" post I remember in the past few years.

Hope it all gets sorted out as well as possible. I would have been devastated if it had happened to our stuff.

Let us know what happens.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by sarahlou
so sorry this has happened to you ! its just more worry, was there personal things such as photos ect in there that was damadged, hope not !
sarah
When our furniture arrived we were told container needed cleaning before they could open it. The outside that is, sea water and bird muck. Charged us about 120 quid, i said to them do i have to pay to clean the plane before i step off that too as all these clouds were hanging off the wings. They still charged me.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

OMG. I am so sorry. No amount of insurance can replace some treasured possessions.

I hope you can salvage some things.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:33 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Some containers get damaged during the loading process, the gantry operator, can mis cue causing the lug pins to punch a hole in the top of the container.
In 26 years in the business, i have only seen 2 of these in Adelaide, not a Pretty sight......and i feel for you,,,,i allways tell people photos/albums personel paper work put them in Zip lock bags before you pack them..........mm
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:45 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Hope they stump up the costs, but as usual that wont cover for any of your personal or emotional posessions. Whether they coff up or not I hope you post their identity...hopefully a positive post..Good luck
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:00 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate

I know how gutted you are!

long ago we had all our belongings on the european Gateway that sank!!

It is so soul destroying when you are seeing your nice stuff ruined!

I hope things work out well for you
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:25 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Pure stupidity is all I can say.

Was there much damage to your belongings? Even if they do sort it out for you I am sure many people on here would be interested in knowing which company it is as no amount of money can replace stuff which can't be replaced.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience of shipping stuff commercial - I'm sorry to say that it does happen. Sorry its no help I know.

I don't really think you can 'blame' the UK shipping company for the leak. The conatiners just come from a stock yard and there's so many sub-contractors and other handlers involved. For example my container had the day before come in from Canada to Liverpool - they get so much bashing about and what goes on in trans-shippment through Singapore who knows.

Like I say, I think the best you can hope for is a good response and resolution to the situation from the UK shippers. I think that would be more interesting than a 'name and shame' is how they resolve the situation.

Really best of luck - my container arrives in Sydney today!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:25 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

What a nitemare for you I really hope you manage to salvage the sentimental things and the rest is covered by your insurance. From the pic it looks like a messy job for you.

Good Luck Axx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.