Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

League Tables for Sydney High Schools

League Tables for Sydney High Schools

Old Jul 17th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default League Tables for Sydney High Schools

Does any one know if there are any league tables, or something similar for High schools in the sydney area? We are thinking of moving but know nothing about the schools in the areas we are thinking about.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rudi
Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: League Tables for Sydney High Schools

Originally Posted by Rudi
Does any one know if there are any league tables, or something similar for High schools in the sydney area? We are thinking of moving but know nothing about the schools in the areas we are thinking about.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rudi
There aren't any officially published league tables in NSW. Each year, when the HSC results (Year 12) come out, the media (SMH) attempts to rank high schools based on the results of those exams. In almost all cases (there are one or two exceptions) the state selective high schools and the private schools come out on top. I've never been able to find a link to the list - but they're always published in the Herald every January.

Give us a clue about the area you're thinking of and I'm sure there are people who will give an opinion of the schools in the area.

Just found a link to an article which lists the top 20 schools for HSC results for 2004.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...787279592.html

Other years are just variations on the same schools. They might move up or down a few spots but the same schools appear year after year. All the state schools in that list are selective schools.

Last edited by NickyC; Jul 17th 2006 at 2:27 am.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rudi
Australia doesn't have an official school inspection department and grading system as of the likes of OFSTED in the UK, so there are no official league tables either. If you use a search engine and look for school comparison in sydney you may find some results, often any tables you find will be for private schools. Why not try asking on here to see if anyone has anyexperience of the specific schools?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

We are looking at areas anywhere from about Epping, to St Ives, down to Ryde, West Ryde etc. But I am open to suggestions.

It has be be closish to Homebush, Epping and North Ryde - within about 20mins of them.

All ideas welcome!!!

Rudi
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

We are looking at areas anywhere from about Epping, to St Ives, down to Ryde, West Ryde etc. But I am open to suggestions.

It has be be closish to Homebush, Epping and North Ryde - within about 20mins of them.

All ideas welcome!!!

Rudi
That's not my area so can't help that much.

I do know that Cheltenham Girls and Epping Boys are non-selective state high schools and both have a good reputation. People will move house to ensure they get into the Cheltenham Girls catchment area.

Also Cherrrybrook High has supposed to be good (I know someone who teaches there). It's a very large school but was purpose built as a Technology High school and apparantly has some great facilities.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nickyc
That's not my area so can't help that much.

I do know that Cheltenham Girls and Epping Boys are non-selective state high schools and both have a good reputation. People will move house to ensure they get into the Cheltenham Girls catchment area.

Also Cherrrybrook High has supposed to be good (I know someone who teaches there). It's a very large school but was purpose built as a Technology High school and apparantly has some great facilities.
Hi nicky

Thanks for that. Cherrybrook is too far north of Homebush for me - only about 10 mins from where I am now. Cheltenham is on our list, but it's also very expensive to buy a house in the catchment area for the school. Don't have boys so that's not an issue.

If anyone knows anything about the areas slightly nearer into Homebush that would be great.

Thanks

Rudi
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi nicky

Thanks for that. Cherrybrook is too far north of Homebush for me - only about 10 mins from where I am now. Cheltenham is on our list, but it's also very expensive to buy a house in the catchment area for the school. Don't have boys so that's not an issue.

If anyone knows anything about the areas slightly nearer into Homebush that would be great.

Thanks

Rudi
Anyone know anything about schools in these area?

Thanks

Rudi
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you're looking at the Homebush area then, frankly, you'll probably have to go private. Strathfield is private school central (has loads of them) and this tends to mean that the State schools are fewer in number and you probably wouldn't want to use them.

I think that Strathfield Girls High is the local High school for Homebush and I know it has a lot of kids from non-English-speaking backgrounds. There are plenty of private schools in the area to choose from.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nickyc
If you're looking at the Homebush area then, frankly, you'll probably have to go private. Strathfield is private school central (has loads of them) and this tends to mean that the State schools are fewer in number and you probably wouldn't want to use them.

I think that Strathfield Girls High is the local High school for Homebush and I know it has a lot of kids from non-English-speaking backgrounds. There are plenty of private schools in the area to choose from.

Thanks Nicky

I can't afford to go down the private route with 3 children unfortunately. I guess we just have to stick to the Epping / Carlingford / Cheltenham type areas if that's the case.

I was hoping to be a bit close in but never mind.

Thanks

Rudi
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:46 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...0-schools.html
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:56 am
Just Joined

LLvibes is on a distinguished road

James Ruse High School is the most obvious place in the Carlingford/ Epping area. It's the top state selective school in NSW and is always top of the HSC table. Miles in front of the private schools and you don't have to spend a fortune in fees. Every year that I can remember there's always at least one student representing Australia in the Maths/ Science (Biology, Physics etc) International Olympics. My two brothers' maths teacher there was the national maths coach for the Australian team. Look at the HSC final Arts Exhibition and you'll also have a good representation of James Ruse students. It's a non-religious school and a multicultural one as well which is one of the big pluses over private (usually religious) schools--they practice the values of tolerance and diversity without the preachiness of a religious school (one of the reasons my parents didn't send us to the local catholic school).

only problem is it is very very competitive to get in. one of ny former neighbours moved closer to the area so his children could be in the catchment area.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Ipom

That looks really useful.

Rudi
x
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LLvibes
James Ruse High School is the most obvious place in the Carlingford/ Epping area. It's the top state selective school in NSW and is always top of the HSC table. Miles in front of the private schools and you don't have to spend a fortune in fees. Every year that I can remember there's always at least one student representing Australia in the Maths/ Science (Biology, Physics etc) International Olympics. My two brothers' maths teacher there was the national maths coach for the Australian team. Look at the HSC final Arts Exhibition and you'll also have a good representation of James Ruse students. It's a non-religious school and a multicultural one as well which is one of the big pluses over private (usually religious) schools--they practice the values of tolerance and diversity without the preachiness of a religious school (one of the reasons my parents didn't send us to the local catholic school).

only problem is it is very very competitive to get in. one of ny former neighbours moved closer to the area so his children could be in the catchment area.
Hi LLvibes

It's really interesting looking at the selective stuff. I hadn't really thought about that. My eldest daughter would stand a chance of getting into one of the selective schools I think. My other two are more "normal" so probably wouldn't. It's then a case of different schools for different children etc etc. I will look into it a bit more though. So selective schools are only partially selective so it is a case of being in the zone for them.

HMMMM more things to ponder!!!

Thanks

Rudi
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:26 am
Just Joined

LLvibes is on a distinguished road

Hi there Rudi,

It's something to think about--if all three cannot go to the same school-whether it will impact on them negatively.

There's four children in our family so there was no way my parents could have afforded private schools for us all even if they wanted to. That said, 3 of us went to various schools before entering a selective school. Myself and my second brother went to the local public high school in Parramatta before I switched to James Ruse in my senior years--it's possible to do if you've done really well and want to be in a more competitive environment. (They do give preference to those in the catchment area but if you've proven that you have done consistently well as a student then you can get into the school.)

At first it was a bit of an adjustment period because I needed to make new friends all over again but it was no big deal for me as I still keep in contact with some of my best friends from my old school (and by the time I got into uni I made another set of new friends). By then, my second brother who was one year ahead had already completed the HSC and his marks were fairly decent--mid 90s for his TER (TER is pre-UAI and would be scaled higher if translated into UAIs now). My oldest brother went to the same local high school before he transferred to James Ruse. Likewise my youngest brother but he went to Girraween Selective before his switch. They both got insane high marks in the 99s.

This doesn't mean everyone will do well though--it depends on the personality and the temperament of each child. Some people find it harder to cope in a competitive environment of high achievers where the mid-90s is considered low (yes 95 for your TER compared to my friend in the high 99s is quite embarrassing) and do better when they're the big fish in a smaller pond and have that confidence behind them. What matters is the staff and some of my teachers in my old local high school were just as amazing as the ones in James Ruse. My parents too always showed up to the teacher-parent meetings and really got involved when they can. Both my parents never got the opportunity to go to uni but they really understood the value of a good education. I got the opportunity to study Japanese, Chinese, French and German growing up and although I hated languages I'm really glad my parents pushed me with my Chinese studies because it has really opened heaps of opportunities.

I think all four of us did really well out of the Aussie education system so no complaints from this family.