Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lay-by and no rain checks?

Lay-by and no rain checks?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:01 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lay-by and no rain checks?

I've used layby in July and bought loads of the kids Xmas pressies and not had the trouble of trying to find hiding places for them
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:16 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
I've used layby in July and bought loads of the kids Xmas pressies and not had the trouble of trying to find hiding places for them
That is EXACTLY my plan!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by asprilla
Now I'm just making this up as I go along, but I suspect that layby was used much more frequently in the olden days, when consumer goods were more expensive and the range/stock was more limited.

Just waiting for a 60 or 70-something Aussie to come across this thread and confirm my suspicions...
It’s not just here that it happens. I bought my son’s pram from a store in Nottingham about 17 years ago and bought a bike for my other son on a similar premise in the UK about eight years ago. We put a deposit down and paid in instalments – the agreement with the bike was that it was all bought and paid for before Christmas Eve. Similar premise the only difference is that it wasn’t called ‘lay by’. I just think it’s more common here and I think it’s a great service for many.

Mx
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It's so you can spend your tax refund in July on Xmas presents. Without it you'd probably pee the money up the wall before then.

As for things that don't make sense (i.e. why not put it in the piggy bank?). That's just people. Take for example the tax refund cheque. People seem cockahoop to get them and really pissed off if they have to make up an underpayment. So in the 1st case the government had been using your money (obviously a cause for celebration ) and in the 2nd case you've been holding the government's money (obviously a pain in the butt ).

I've used layby once for when I needed lots of stuff the same (duvet covers for a rental). One store did not have enough. The lady at the layby desk rang a couple of local store and got them put on layby for 3 days (pay on pickup).
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

I've used layby once for when I needed lots of stuff the same (duvet covers for a rental). One store did not have enough. The lady at the layby desk rang a couple of local store and got them put on layby for 3 days (pay on pickup).
Well, I'd say that's enough to make you our British Expats resident lay-by guru!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:19 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

[QUOTE=MartinLuther;7773324]It's so you can spend your tax refund in July on Xmas presents. Without it you'd probably pee the money up the wall before then.

Without a doubt!!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

According to my mum, this was a common practice in the UK until about the 60s. You could "put something away" in the shop and then go in and pay it off. I think its a good thing and though I haven't used it yet, I probably will for Christmas.

Also I have been told that with Kmart and Target if you put something on lay by and its then reduced in price, they will give you the price reduction anyway.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by RenShen
According to my mum, this was a common practice in the UK until about the 60s. You could "put something away" in the shop and then go in and pay it off. I think its a good thing and though I haven't used it yet, I probably will for Christmas.

Also I have been told that with Kmart and Target if you put something on lay by and its then reduced in price, they will give you the price reduction anyway.
I thought I could remember something like that... But then everyone started to use HP, and pay interest to get the banks and finance companies really up and running.

LayBy is really good for those things that you think you would like, but can't afford at that specific time, and would rather not use credit cards.

You get the shop to hold it, till you want to pay for it, with NO interest

And of course, if you change your mind or find it cheaper somewhere else, then you don't go follow through with the deal. Sometimes you will lose your deposit, othertimes you won't.

You should see the queues at the Layby desks on Christmas eve, where people are collecting the presents they have bought, and had conveniently stored at the shop till they were needed.
Kmart allow 12 weeks for layby, Target only 8 weeks.

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:12 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
Well, I'd say that's enough to make you our British Expats resident lay-by guru!