Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Law or Accounting Career?

Law or Accounting Career?

Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:10 am
Just Joined

punch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Law or Accounting Career?

I am in the process of having my PR visa for Australia through my accounting qualification. My law credentials had also been assessed by Legal Profession Admission Board of NSW as equivalent to Australian Law degree except for 3 subjects. In this regard, I would like to know which career path is better to take? Is it accounting or law? Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Law or Accounting Career?

Originally Posted by punch
I am in the process of having my PR visa for Australia through my accounting qualification. My law credentials had also been assessed by Legal Profession Admission Board of NSW as equivalent to Australian Law degree except for 3 subjects. In this regard, I would like to know which career path is better to take? Is it accounting or law? Thanks
Why not do both? Become a CA and a law practitioner if you can't decide.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:11 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Check on the oz requirement too. You might need to go back to college for 2 years to meet Law requirements etc. They tend to be fussy on Aussie certs here, all the way from builders to laywers.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:16 am
Just Joined

whitenite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

(I'm new to the forum, getting on 3 yrs in the contry).

Like JAJ says, why not do both? I understand in NSW you only need to pass the subjects, wheras in all the other States you need to undertake articleship as well.

Plus, you can do yr articles in an accredited accounting firm ie. need not be at a solicitor's.

I researched that bit earlier cos I was dwelling on whether to try and qualify locally (VIC) on my Barrister (Inner Temple, UK) qualification. Gave up on the thought eventually cos no chance of me re-entering practice!