Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laugh or cry you wont see this in the UK.

Wikiposts

Laugh or cry you wont see this in the UK.

Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:25 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
I am still trying to work out how asking someone from another country whether they may have eaten a particular thing for lunch in their own country could possibly be construed as racist &/or offensive?
Maybe you're asking that because you to are an Aussie? lol

How many people do you know that haven't eaten a sandwich? The question was asked because she thought the lady would have just eaten rice or things that a 'poor' African may eat, she thought she was deprived. She didn't stop to think that this lady lives in a house and not a mud hut and eats as we eat!!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:26 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I am still trying to work out how asking someone from another country whether they may have eaten a particular thing for lunch in their own country could possibly be construed as racist &/or offensive?
Yep. That one got me stumped too.

I am pretty sure that when I had been here for 4 months and went to the Brisbane Show (Ekka) one of the chaps at work asked me if I had ever had a Dagwood Dog before. I took it as an interest in the culinary habits of a different country (and maybe a perverse pride in the whole concept of "a sausage in batter on a stick") rather than an offensive racial slur.

Cheers,

DagWood
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:30 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by janeyray

How many people do you know that haven't eaten a sandwich? The question was asked because she thought the lady would have just eaten rice or things that a 'poor' African may eat, she thought she was deprived. She didn't stop to think that this lady lives in a house and not a mud hut and eats as we eat!!
... AND ... AND ... AND ...? Hurry up, I'm running out of breath.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:31 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by nickyc
Never seen racism given as reasons for their leaving before.
Definitely not our reasons for leaving, racism everywhere and it's cruel. I see it everyday as I pass the park on my way into the city. All the Aboriginees camping out every day and night and their children. I don't know enough about their culture to comment on why they are there though.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Maybe they are just plain old homesick.

Maybe instead of accepting that as an entirely satisfactory reason for going home, they need to blame someone, something, anything at all really, except their state of mind.
Yes, homesick would usually be the main reason, definetly.
And homesickness is usually not describable.
But bad experiences will of course make it worse.
An incident like this of course, is not a reason to remigrate. But a combination of incidents/experiences(not finding work, not making friends, not having 'choice' in shops, missing family, more racism than you have experienced) is. It's all very personal, depends on where you come from, where you are now, luck, and lots of other factors!!

Mrs DB: yeah, that's what I sort of thought as well, see a few posts above.

Nickyc: Agreed
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:34 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by DagBoy
one of the chaps at work asked me if I had ever had a Dagwood Dog before.

DagWood

Little bit different though to a salad sandwich don't you think?

Not many people have heard of a Dagboy Dog before, woops sorry, I mean Dagwood Dog !! lol I think everyone's heard of a sandwich?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:35 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Janey, there are plenty of countries in this world where the people would not normally have sandwiches for their lunch. Or are you the one whos too blind to see that not everyone in the world lives by the premise that anything "white" &/or british is the norm? Why do you think that everyone in the world would have eaten a sandwich?

And once again you show your true colours with the comment about me being an aussie. You seem to think that the only racism that matters is the one towards people of different skin colours.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:37 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Not many people have heard of a Dagboy Dog before, woops sorry, I mean Dagwood Dog !! lol I think everyone's heard of a sandwich?
I personally have no idea if they have salad sandwiches is Kenja!!!

And the question was about BEFORE she came to Oz, right?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:37 am
home again, home again

And once again you show your true colours with the comment about me being an aussie.

I'am an Aussie to.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:38 am
earlswood

Originally posted by mcmercer
Is this because its acceptable here or because people arent exposed so much to other cultures/nationalities (except poms) as much??? (I know there are other cultures/nationalities here, I'm talking about mixing) I've no idea but was just expressing amazement today that I havnt seen a single non-white child at my daughters school which concerns me a bit, we're from Birmingham where there is a huge diversity of people and that is something I liked about the place.

No I'm not starting to moan already I promise, just intrigued
Sorry am still in shock....................... was that you LIKE something about Birmingham

I'm still 10 miles away and.............. I'm trying really hard...........ahhhhh nope sorry apart from .............. maybe not

Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:41 am
home again, home again

look I'am not getting into tit for tat about a sandwich. You weren't there. The comment 'sounded' rasist (hard to put over on here) and I was embaressed to be in the company of the lady that said it.

To 'me' she might as well have asked if she used her fingers to eat or had she ever seen a knife and fork. I'am suprised she didn't ask if they used plates at home to put thier food on or ate of the floor. The comment was mean as that and you had to hear the way it was said to appreciate how rasisit it sounded. the end.

Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:42 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Janey, there are plenty of countries in this world where the people would not normally have sandwiches for their lunch. Or are you the one whos too blind to see that not everyone in the world lives by the premise that anything "white" &/or british is the norm? Why do you think that everyone in the world would have eaten a sandwich?

And once again you show your true colours with the comment about me being an aussie. You seem to think that the only racism that matters is the one towards people of different skin colours.
My Goodness, those chaptis make horrrrible sandviches. Gimme a Tiffin Box every day, acha (nod nod):

Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'am an Aussie to.
Oh good, then you wont mind in the slightest being described by some of the words I have seen to describe australians as a race on this forum!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:50 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly the point. You think everyone has heard of a sandwich because you grew up in the country where the sandwich was invented (and named after some aristocrat or other) and where the sandwich is an integral part of the culture (picnics in the rain, dainty cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off for posh people etc.). Would you also assume that everyone has heard of (and worn) Wellingtons? Keeping the the aristocratic naming - should an Aussie assume that everyone knows what a Lamington is?

When you consider the shared history of UK and Aus and the continuing strong links, I still find some of the differences amazing. How much greater the differences must be for someone coming here from Kenya. To me, asking the lady if she has had sandwiches before struck me as a friendly enquiry, a way to find out more about her, an opening to a discussion about the differences and similarities between the countries. That is not racist.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe thats because we have our eyes open and aren't living in a fantasy?

Are you still living the dream and only hearing what you want to hear?

Are you implying that I don't know what racism and/or choose not to see it? You would of course be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.