Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Latest on Sunshine Coast please

Latest on Sunshine Coast please

Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Latest on Sunshine Coast please

Hi anyone living in Sunshine Coast Region.

All being well we will be arriving there b4 end of year but as it's been years since last trip there would like an update please from people experienced living there:-

Jobs situation - Construction especially
House Rentals - Price and ease of find a place
Costs
Social life

etcetc any other useful tips!

All help appreciated
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Latest on Sunshine Coast please

does anyone live of the Sunshine Coast??
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Hi

Where on the sunshine coast are you planning to go to? Plenty of houses being built but there is a lot of competition for jobs. Some time 100's going for the one job. Good few places available for rent and go from 400 a week and upwards.

Paddy
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Like Paddy says, lots of houses being built but jobs more competitive than they once were.
What line of work in the construction industry are you in?
Trades in construction can be significantly affected by the wet season here, as expat friends of ours found and also local people we know. It must balance out somehow though. Rentals from around $400 like Paddy says.
Can't be of more help without waffling unless there is anything specific.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: Latest on Sunshine Coast please

Originally Posted by kitty4
Like Paddy says, lots of houses being built but jobs more competitive than they once were.
What line of work in the construction industry are you in?
Trades in construction can be significantly affected by the wet season here, as expat friends of ours found and also local people we know. It must balance out somehow though. Rentals from around $400 like Paddy says.
Can't be of more help without waffling unless there is anything specific.
I'm fully Australian qualified (TAFE) as carpenter and also for full BSA builders licence, but also doing building surveying and drawing plans in UK at mo so flexible as to how I can earn a living on The Sunshine Coast.

Would like to set up self employed but feel will need to work for someone first so can leave £'s in UK until pound improves.

OH liked the Twin Waters and Pelican Waters areas when we visited and although the purchase prices are high (especially with exchange rates) the rental costs seem to be falling so we could get nice house with pool now for 500-600 a week that were 600-700 a week when we were last there.

My OH also concerned about bringing our 3 cats and finding a rental property that will go for that - what are councils like there about allowing pet licences?

It's not negotiable to leave cats so I need to confirm if a landlord will accept our 3 pets will local council allow?

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Construction has picked up the past few months, full steam ahead on some projects. Lots of development around, Birtinya Island, Pelican Waters, Brightwater, to name a few. Lots more planned including Palmview(next to Sippy Downs) which will be huge. Large hospital and rail network on the cards, but could be years away from start. Lots of traddies here too though, so all this doesn't say much about the job scene. Jobs are generally tougher to get on the Sunny Coast though, typically many applications per job.

Been here 16 months, houses are expensive, but it is the best place in Australia, possibly the world
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
My OH also concerned about bringing our 3 cats and finding a rental property that will go for that - what are councils like there about allowing pet licences?

It's not negotiable to leave cats so I need to confirm if a landlord will accept our 3 pets will local council allow?

Thanks
We brought our 4 cats over - like you, it wasn't negotiable to leave them. Rentals that accept pets are few and far between. Nothing really to do with the council if a landlord accepts pets or not, it's up to the landlord. Cats need to be licensed with the council now though, but it's not expensive if they are desexed and they must be microchipped, but they will have to be to import them anyway. There may be some rule as to the number of cats able to be licensed in one household in some areas but I can't remember. Have a look on the sunshine coast regional council website. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Found the link. I must have got confused about number of cats in a household but I know I read it somewhere or it was being proposed/suggested somewhere. Anyway, doesn't say anything about it on the website.

http://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/...t-registration

You may find rental properties in hinterland areas more aceptable of pets. That's what we found anyway.

Last edited by kitty4; Apr 14th 2010 at 5:31 am. Reason: found link
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kitty4
We brought our 4 cats over - like you, it wasn't negotiable to leave them. Rentals that accept pets are few and far between. Nothing really to do with the council if a landlord accepts pets or not, it's up to the landlord. Cats need to be licensed with the council now though, but it's not expensive if they are desexed and they must be microchipped, but they will have to be to import them anyway. There may be some rule as to the number of cats able to be licensed in one household in some areas but I can't remember. Have a look on the sunshine coast regional council website. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Found the link. I must have got confused about number of cats in a household but I know I read it somewhere or it was being proposed/suggested somewhere. Anyway, doesn't say anything about it on the website.

http://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/...t-registration

You may find rental properties in hinterland areas more aceptable of pets. That's what we found anyway.
thanks for that, good to know.

How much did it cost for 4 cats getting to Oz and quarantine??

Did you send yours to Sydney as I notice Brisbane has no animal quarantine facility?

Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Construction has picked up the past few months, full steam ahead on some projects. Lots of development around, Birtinya Island, Pelican Waters, Brightwater, to name a few. Lots more planned including Palmview(next to Sippy Downs) which will be huge. Large hospital and rail network on the cards, but could be years away from start. Lots of traddies here too though, so all this doesn't say much about the job scene. Jobs are generally tougher to get on the Sunny Coast though, typically many applications per job.

Been here 16 months, houses are expensive, but it is the best place in Australia, possibly the world
Good to hear - hopefully employers will give a pommy a chance!!

I am all Australian qualified thankfully from working in Sydney previously so hopefully I can earn some precious aussie $'s
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Hey Cro

Not sure if you have kids but if you do Pelican waters may not be the place to go to. Have never seen any kids playing outside when we have gone through it and have heard stories from people that live there that their kids find it hard to make friends. We live in little mountain and love it. Kids love their new school and have loads of friends. And they come in from school and get changed and we dont see them till dinner time.

Paddy
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey Cro

Not sure if you have kids but if you do Pelican waters may not be the place to go to. Have never seen any kids playing outside when we have gone through it and have heard stories from people that live there that their kids find it hard to make friends. We live in little mountain and love it. Kids love their new school and have loads of friends. And they come in from school and get changed and we dont see them till dinner time.

Paddy
interesting, we have first baby due in June (delayed us coming) so she'll only be few months old when we arrive.

we thought Pelican waters would have had loads of young families too.

just shows until you are there and settled you don'y get full picture!

thanfully we can ask you guys!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for that, good to know.

How much did it cost for 4 cats getting to Oz and quarantine??

Did you send yours to Sydney as I notice Brisbane has no animal quarantine facility?

I can't remember the cost off the top of my head as it was 4 years ago. We cut costs by having two cats each in a box, which the company made big enough for two of course. This helped comfort the cats too.

Yes, they were quarantined in Sydney, then we used an Australian company to transport them from Sydney to Brisbane by air, where we picked them up. The cost of that was quite reasonable as far as my appalling long term memory goes.

Quarantine costs are on their website, can't remember if it's on a daily basis - I think so, but it adds up for the 30 days.

Not a cheap exercise but not an option if you are bringing them.

They were in good condition on coming out of quarantine, lost weight but no other problems and I guess that's normal anxiety for them. Sorry can't be of more help with the costs but they will have gone up anyway no doubt.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

here's one - is there a hosepipe ban on sunshine coast???

struggling to get all our stuff in 20ft container and wondered if I pack my pressure washer is it a waste of time and container space if I can't even use it when we get there??

Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

here's one - is there a hosepipe ban on sunshine coast???

struggling to get all our stuff in 20ft container and wondered if I pack my pressure washer is it a waste of time and container space if I can't even use it when we get there??

There are water restrictions but I have seen loads of people using them and if you are renting either they will pay the water rates or else you pay for excess use. I think its 200 Ltrs per person. Also bring what you can there is so much stuff I did not bring and wished I had. If you want any more info just shout.

Paddy
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
There are water restrictions but I have seen loads of people using them and if you are renting either they will pay the water rates or else you pay for excess use. I think its 200 Ltrs per person. Also bring what you can there is so much stuff I did not bring and wished I had. If you want any more info just shout.

Paddy
sure there'll be loads more in next few months, thanks for all the info.

I'll be oweing you lot a few beers by time we get there!!!

Palmview looks interesting from work point of view 6500 houses to be built over 15 years - that's my kind of reading!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.