Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Latest shipping quotes

Latest shipping quotes

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Doreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Latest shipping quotes

Is this doing everyone elses head in as much as ours?

We have been quoted for a 20CF container - York-Brisbane, although 1 company said we could get a reefer as we were about 850 mark.

Latest quotes (and impressions of) shippers:

Bishops - £2995 3.50% insurance - nice guy but had to chase up quote.

Britannia - £3775 3.00% insurance - Late for appointment - different guy, couldnt answer any questions re insurance etc. Not impressed.

PSS - £2998 2.50% insurance - Big guy, very knowledgable - get 2wks free storage in UK and $52 per week storage other end.

Pickfords - £3388 3.5% insurance - Very professional, answered all questions well, storage at other end $158 for 28 days. Lots of additional extras to pay for, however they were pointed out to us to be fair.

Anglo Pacific - £3444 - no quote for insurance - had to ring up for quote as they havent sent anything since! Nice bloke, very knowledgable but still waiting for paperwork!

John Mason - £2986 3.00% insurance. Nice bloke very helpful said we would be able to get a reefer at £500 cheaper than the container would only have to leave a couple of things in order to do so. Sold a couple of things thinking we'll go for a reefer then. Get the quote and its for a 20ft container! Rang them and they said they could get a container cheaper from another company therefore no reefers.................. I bet!! Not impressed at all.

Robinsons - have failed to call.

Must say I'm hearing a lot of different things and taking into consideration what Mr Mover said re how they make up a container (and therefore make more money out of us) I'm becoming very cynical!! Funny that no-one has quoted for shared containers...........

Mr Mover whats your opinion on reefers? Do we need to reduce more? And if we do go for a sole use container how can we ensure this is the case?

Thanks for your help - hope this helps others in the same situation - any feed back welcome!!!!

Cheers

Doreen
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:48 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Interesting post as we are now at the stage of deciding which quote to go for. We are undecided between GB Liners and Doree Bonner. Both quoted similar amounts GB Liners £3,250 (ins 3.12%)and Doree £3305 (ins 2%) for sole use container 20 c.f. from Gloucester to Brisbane plus insurance. It seems to be the extras that mount up (extra insurance cover for mildew, electrical cover etc...). We are looking to book them for mid to end July - all depends on house sale.

Haven't heard of reefers - can't help there.

Do your quotes include insurance or just removal costs alone?

Dawn
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dawn

Glad you found it helpful - I've certainly had lots of help from this forum.

These were for removal costs alone - the insurance is extra! We have rung Doree Bonner and they are coming back to us with a quote. I'd be interested to hear what they quote you.

We are leaving to go to Oz on the 30th of this month but will be back for the shippers etc mid August so we have to make our decision this week.

Good luck with the house sale - we were lucky and sold in 8 days!

Cheers

Doreen
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dawn, obviously I'm more stressed out than I thought! (either that or the alcoholic abuse of leaving do's over the last week!)

Saw the quote - but would still be interested in which one you go for and why.

Cheers

Doreen
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:00 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Hi Doreen,
Doree quoted us 2% for insurance. They seem very professional.

Change of subject, but have you looked into medical insurance for your family? We have just started looking into this and have been recommended Australian Unity. Do you intend to take any out?

Thanks, Dawn
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dawn

We will be doing that as one of the first things we do when we arrive. Its essential. My mother is over there and has got quite a good medical care insurance which we may take up. Will let you know what our experience is once we get there.

2% insurance sounds much better than the rest! But it will depend on their overall quote what we go for, at the moment PSS is looking favorite.

Cheers

Doreen
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Doreen,

We're at the same stage ie- got the quotes in, just have to decide which one.

Bishops Move guy was unprofessional, came at a time convenient to him rather than myself, quote was a mess (laminate on the front cover was wrong way round & mistakes scribbled out with a pen). We wanted 2 quotes as were unsure about taking a motorbike but they only sent one. Not going with them!

John Mason salesman knew his stuff but the insurance cover is very limited. Most expensive quote too at £2893 for 20' container, insurance is 3%.

White & Co salesman was very young & didn't trust anything he said. Quoted £2725 for 20' container with insurance at 3%.

PSS (the big guy!) was brill. They've quoted £2764 for 20' reefer container (what's a reefer?) & insurance is 2.5%. Plus we have a £50 discount voucher from the York Show!

So PSS is the favourite for us. Btw this is for Lancashire to Adelaide.

Heather
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:31 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest shipping quotes

Originally posted by Doreen
Is this doing everyone elses head in as much as ours?

We have been quoted for a 20CF container - York-Brisbane, although 1 company said we could get a reefer as we were about 850 mark.

Latest quotes (and impressions of) shippers:

Bishops - £2995 3.50% insurance - nice guy but had to chase up quote.

Britannia - £3775 3.00% insurance - Late for appointment - different guy, couldnt answer any questions re insurance etc. Not impressed.

PSS - £2998 2.50% insurance - Big guy, very knowledgable - get 2wks free storage in UK and $52 per week storage other end.

Pickfords - £3388 3.5% insurance - Very professional, answered all questions well, storage at other end $158 for 28 days. Lots of additional extras to pay for, however they were pointed out to us to be fair.

Anglo Pacific - £3444 - no quote for insurance - had to ring up for quote as they havent sent anything since! Nice bloke, very knowledgable but still waiting for paperwork!

John Mason - £2986 3.00% insurance. Nice bloke very helpful said we would be able to get a reefer at £500 cheaper than the container would only have to leave a couple of things in order to do so. Sold a couple of things thinking we'll go for a reefer then. Get the quote and its for a 20ft container! Rang them and they said they could get a container cheaper from another company therefore no reefers.................. I bet!! Not impressed at all.

Robinsons - have failed to call.

Must say I'm hearing a lot of different things and taking into consideration what Mr Mover said re how they make up a container (and therefore make more money out of us) I'm becoming very cynical!! Funny that no-one has quoted for shared containers...........

Mr Mover whats your opinion on reefers? Do we need to reduce more? And if we do go for a sole use container how can we ensure this is the case?

Thanks for your help - hope this helps others in the same situation - any feed back welcome!!!!

Cheers

Doreen
Hi doreen ,i assume that "850 mark " is 850 cu ft ? which equates to about 25 m3 ,this would be reefer capacity ,the companys make money on reefers because of the relocation back to oz, for the oz -xport market, they are ok ,as long as the slat floors are covered ,with ply board or heavy card board, i can remember spending half an hour trying to free the feet of a washing machine that had wedged it,s self through the slat floor,make sure the container has been cleaned and not damp or smelly . theres not many tie down points in reefers so the load has to be tight, the reason they hav,nt mentioned part containers is that in a dry /general box ,your job would only leave about 8m3 of room this dos,nt give them many options, on part loads .be wary of cheap containers [russian ]leak like sieves , i would say Robinsons are busy as hell ,we seem to be getting a lot from them at the moment. and remember most removal companys are self insurers so if they get your goods there with out drama ,that "I" money go,es in the kitty.......................... MM
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mr Mover!!! Much appreciated.

Based on what you say about reefers we perhaps would be better off with the full container - how do we know that we can guarantee to get a container to ourselves though?

Thanks

Doreen

PS I bet you swore a bit with that washing machine!!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:50 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mr Mover!!! Much appreciated.

Based on what you say about reefers we perhaps would be better off with the full container - how do we know that we can guarantee to get a container to ourselves though?

Thanks

Doreen

PS I bet you swore a bit with that washing machine!!!!!
that is up to the honesty of your shipper ,if they tell you that you have sole use, then that is what you should have ,they cant just put another job in. All consignee,s must be declared on the bill of lading by law, so when you get to oz just ask your delivery crew if yours was the only job in the box ,most guys will tell you ..... MM
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 2:35 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi Dawn

We will be doing that as one of the first things we do when we arrive. Its essential. My mother is over there and has got quite a good medical care insurance which we may take up. Will let you know what our experience is once we get there.

2% insurance sounds much better than the rest! But it will depend on their overall quote what we go for, at the moment PSS is looking favorite.

Cheers

Doreen

Contact Alan Collet re your australia unity insurance he will get you a good price
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 3:26 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by HeatherS
(what's a reefer?)
Heather
A 'reefer' or ' Ref'r' is a refridgerated container that brings stuff over to the UK and usually goes back empty, so they utilise it by sticking a house in it.

Our quotes were:

PSS - £2897

Robinsons - £3075

Anglo Pacific - £2888

John Masons - £2721

Not much in it, is there?

Steve.