Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Latest re the transfer of skilled applications from London to Adelaide

Latest re the transfer of skilled applications from London to Adelaide

Old Oct 17th 2002, 10:13 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest re the transfer of skilled applications from London to Adelaide

The latest as we know of it is here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=233

Probably of interest to some ...

Best regards.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

WARDY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Latest re the transfer of skilled applications from London to Adelaide

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
The latest as we know of it is here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=233

Probably of interest to some ...

Best regards.
Hi Alan and thank you for that update.

Do you have any idea how many staff will be processing the applications in Adelaide, and what a likely timescale would be? We lodged 24th October 2001 so are way back down the queue. The reasons for asking are:
i) My son has a place at school and is due to start year 8 at the end of January 2003. We are going to Queensland so this is the start of secondary school for him. We would really like him to be there at the beginning of the year - do you think this will be likely?
ii) My employers, who have been very good, want to know if I have any idea how much longer I will be here, and when to advertise for a replacement. (Anyone want an accountancy job in Jersey?)

Cheers
Caryn
Old Oct 17th 2002, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Latest re the transfer of skilled applications from London to Adelaide

PS Do you know if applications which were front end loaded (medicals & police checks) will be kept in London, or is the date of submission the critical factor?
Thanks
Caryn
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:13 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a Migration Institute of Australia seminar in Melbourne on Tuesday evening and a chap from DIMIA advised that they have a new pool of people starting at the Skilled Processing Centre in Adelaide next week, with more to come by Xmas, and a third wave early next year.

I think that augurs well for processing times, and believe that DIMIA is taking steps to ensure that the waiting time for skilled visas reduces rather than increases. In fact to achieve the projected 2002/03 outcome for the skilled program Adelaide is going to have to get its act together.

None of this really answers your questions - at this stage I can only suggest that you might obtain a letter from the Principal of the school that you plan for your son to attend in Jan 2003 and ask them if they can prepare a letter addressed "To Whom It May Concern" saying how desirable it would be for your son to start at the beginning of a new school year for reasons x, y and z. Send the letter by Registered Post to Adelaide, follow up by email a week or so later (the email addie is on the Go Matilda site - go to the news page and search on Adelaide Skilled Processing), and see what happens.

I have to say though that obtaining your visa and being in Australia by Jan 2003 seems unlikely, but you never know ...

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by WARDY:

Do you have any idea how many staff will be processing the applications in Adelaide, and what a likely timescale would be? We lodged 24th October 2001 so are way back down the queue. The reasons for asking are:
i) My son has a place at school and is due to start year 8 at the end of January 2003. We are going to Queensland so this is the start of secondary school for him. We would really like him to be there at the beginning of the year - do you think this will be likely?
ii) My employers, who have been very good, want to know if I have any idea how much longer I will be here, and when to advertise for a replacement. (Anyone want an accountancy job in Jersey?)

Cheers
Caryn
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:12 pm
Jaj

Alan
Have they said *how* they're going to transfer the applications from
London to Adelaide?

More specifically, will they be sent by ship or by airfreight?
(electronic data transfer is probably too much to hope for).

(I heard somewhere they sent the Pretoria applications by ship and
they took months to arrive!)

Jeremy

>On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:13:49 +0000, Alan Collett wrote:
    >The latest as we know of it is here:
    >http://www.gomatilda-
    >.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=233

>Probably of interest to some ...
    >Best regards.
    >--
    >Alan Collett of Go Matilda,
    >http://www.gomatilda.com

Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a go. At least it will be doing something !!
Any idea on how large the "pool" of people is, and how it compares with that in London?
Thanks as ever for the information you provide, it really is much appreciated.
Caryn
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:24 pm
Migration Agent

Off the top my head, no I don't know how many people there are looking at skilled applications in Adelaide, but given that there are literally thousands of skilled applications being processed (I recall a figure of 30,000 being mentioned at the seminar on Tuesday) there would be a sizeable number of staff employed.

If I find out the numbers engaged in Adelaide on skilled processing I'll let you know via this Forum.

Best regards.

Originally posted by WARDY:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a go. At least it will be doing something !!
Any idea on how large the "pool" of people is, and how it compares with that in London?
Thanks as ever for the information you provide, it really is much appreciated.
Caryn
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan

Why then have we (the stupid ones who applies to London) been being processed by a team of 4 (apparently). Has anyone, as far as you know, explained this terrible situation. I hear people on this web site complaining that they applied in May this year and havent heard anything anf i bitterly think- well try having applied in early 01 and have no hope still.

Keep us posted Alan- youve been great. Just wish i had known about you. Do you advertise in Australia News- thats where we had the misfortune of coming across 4 'I'll rip you off and then forget about you' Corners.

Moaning over, and i wil be off
Old Oct 18th 2002, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Nina is an unknown quantity at this point

Alan,

That's great news (new pool of people in Adelaide), thanks for sharing. I thougt they were about to create the same situation as London did (1 year backlog), but it seems they came to their senses.
I hope you will continue to share this kind of news on this forum.

Nina

I was at a Migration Institute of Australia seminar in Melbourne on Tuesday evening and a chap from DIMIA advised that they have a new pool of people starting at the Skilled Processing Centre in Adelaide next week, with more to come by Xmas, and a third wave early next year.

I think that augurs well for processing times, and believe that DIMIA is taking steps to ensure that the waiting time for skilled visas reduces rather than increases. In fact to achieve the projected 2002/03 outcome for the skilled program Adelaide is going to have to get its act together.

None of this really answers your questions - at this stage I can only suggest that you might obtain a letter from the Principal of the school that you plan for your son to attend in Jan 2003 and ask them if they can prepare a letter addressed "To Whom It May Concern" saying how desirable it would be for your son to start at the beginning of a new school year for reasons x, y and z. Send the letter by Registered Post to Adelaide, follow up by email a week or so later (the email addie is on the Go Matilda site - go to the news page and search on Adelaide Skilled Processing), and see what happens.

I have to say though that obtaining your visa and being in Australia by Jan 2003 seems unlikely, but you never know ...

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 18th 2002, 7:03 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jaj:
Have they said *how* they're going to transfer the applications from London to Adelaide?

More specifically, will they be sent by ship or by airfreight?
(electronic data transfer is probably too much to hope for).
Jeremy,

Electronic data transfer?! LOL

Peter
Old Oct 18th 2002, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan, (and everyone) any idea how I can get a job at the skilled processing centre. Do you have a recruitment contact (or a mate??)

If they are taking people on, I'm interested! At least I can empathise with everyone and try and do my bit!!

Mash...

Hope this helps.