Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Latest News: 11 days in

Latest News: 11 days in

Old May 18th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Latest News: 11 days in

Well folks what a busy 11 days we have had since we got here

1. We have our house now, and move in Sat/Sun, it is costing $395 per week but it is lovely it is about 10 mins from the schools the kids are in, it is Pacific Pines: 4 beds, pool, Garage etc, a bit dear I know, but I thought lets try and have somewhere nice while we try to settle in the country, I know we would feel 10 times worse if we lived in a dump, and we have seen quite a few

Trying to rent a house is a nightmare as the paperwork and references you need to provide is ridiculous, we even applied for a letter from God to help Seriously though it is a minefield

2. The kids have settled into school really well in Helensvale our Daughter is in High school and our oldest boy is in Primary and we even have a place for our youngest in Pre school which is brilliant as places are hard to come by, they are all very happy which is a bonus for us.

For those who don't know yet you have to pay for everything in schools over here, excercise books, reading materials etc but no big problem

3. I finally start work tomorrow :scared:

4. There have been a few problems with the house but it appears we may finally exchange this week and complete on 31st May, we want to complete earlier but I don't think it will happen before then,

6. We have also treated ourselves to all new beds, we have bunk beds for the boys, a new bed for our daughter, also Me and missus have treated ourselves to a king size bed, the lot cost less than 1000 pound for all of them with good mattresses as well.

Anyway people, the only down side is we have to spend money on hiring cars for a another few weeks until our money clears, but we cant have everything.
We can't wait to get all our stuff as well, that will be really exciting but that probably won't be until the first week in July now.

Take it easy people and thanks for all the advice, keep it coming, and for all you waiting, as I have said before, wait until you get here that's when the real hard work starts

Speak to you all soon

P.S. I wont get to see Liverpool in that Champions League final as it is only on certain channels and I will be on my way to work anyway, bit of a downer but oh well.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest News: 11 days in

Originally Posted by Dicko

1. We have our house now, and move in Sat/Sun, it is costing $395 per week but it is lovely it is about 10 mins from the schools the kids are in, it is Pacific Pines: 4 beds, pool, Garage etc, a bit dear I know, but I thought lets try and have somewhere nice while we try to settle in the country, I know we would feel 10 times worse if we lived in a dump, and we have seen quite a few

Trying to rent a house is a nightmare as the paperwork and references you need to provide is ridiculous, we even applied for a letter from God to help Seriously though it is a minefield

2. The kids have settled into school really well in Helensvale our Daughter is in High school and our oldest boy is in Primary and we even have a place for our youngest in Pre school which is brilliant as places are hard to come by, they are all very happy which is a bonus for us.

For those who don't know yet you have to pay for everything in schools over here, excercise books, reading materials etc but no big problem

4. There have been a few problems with the house but it appears we may finally exchange this week and complete on 31st May, we want to complete earlier but I don't think it will happen before then,

6. We have also treated ourselves to all new beds, we have bunk beds for the boys, a new bed for our daughter, also Me and missus have treated ourselves to a king size bed, the lot cost less than 1000 pound for all of them with good mattresses as well.

Anyway people, the only down side is we have to spend money on hiring cars for a another few weeks until our money clears, but we cant have everything.
We can't wait to get all our stuff as well, that will be really exciting but that probably won't be until the first week in July now.

Take it easy people and thanks for all the advice, keep it coming, and for all you waiting, as I have said before, wait until you get here that's when the real hard work starts

Speak to you all soon

P.S. I wont get to see Liverpool in that Champions League final as it is only on certain channels and I will be on my way to work anyway, bit of a downer but oh well.
I think you have done brilliantly to get so much done so quickly. Would love any info on Helensvale High and Primary - Planning on our girls going to them.

Look forward to hearing more.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:18 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Well done dicko mate, its brilliant to see that you have made it and are settling so quick.
LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!
by the way well done to the blues for piping us to the post for that fourth slot we will just have to try and make up for it with milan, fingers crossed, looks like cisse is back on form

take care and good luck to you and the family mate.

Nev.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:54 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Pleased to hear you are settling well, let us know how the job is
Carole
Old May 18th 2005, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Dicko,

I tried to post an Everton related reply to keep you informed of the ins and outs at Goodison but it seems the Gestapo have an embargo on me...

I've upset the clique...see the take it outside board...

Three Legs

Speak to you all soon

Old May 18th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

[QUOTE=Dicko]Well folks what a busy 11 days we have had since we got here

Hi great to hear how you are getting on good luck

Chris
Old May 18th 2005, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to get so much organised in such a short space of time. I can only hope I do as good. Hope everything continues to go smoothly.
Tracey.
Old May 18th 2005, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Wow. so much organised in so little time. An inspiration to us all!!

C
Old May 18th 2005, 1:39 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

hi dicko, sorry i didnt get back to u on the other thread, ive just read it. i didnt have the internet for a few weeks mate. sounds as if your settled and dont need too much info now. good luck to u all. might get a chance to meet u next time im in pacific pines
Old May 18th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Glad you all are settleing in so well, Goodluck with the new job tomorrow

Claire & Family
Old May 18th 2005, 2:08 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Speak to you all soon

Hiya Dicko,
Glad you all arrived safe and well and by the sounds of it are well on your way to being settled in your new life. Long may good health etc shine upon you and yours.
Sarah
PS We've managed to sell the house during your transition.
Old May 18th 2005, 2:27 pm
Karma to make me calmer!

Tops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura about

Speak to you all soon

Well done Dicko!

Please could you explain the issue of renting and exactly what documentation and references they needed?

I would be good of those of us who are following in your foot-steps (so to speak), to know in advance what we need.

Thanks,

T
Old May 18th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light

Dicko,
What references did you need to rent the house?
Cheers
Storerg