Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

late night disturbance in my complex in swimming pool - Sydney

late night disturbance in my complex in swimming pool - Sydney

Old Oct 30th 2011, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default late night disturbance from swimming pool - Sydney

I managed to get a ground floor flat in Kingsford next to UNSW. Nice flat, new complex, safe area etc. perfect to start I though.

The thing is that due to the proximity of the complex to the university, there are a lot of students living here. I asked specifically to the agent before signing the contract about parties and noise levels and he told me that the complex is ruled by strict rules regarding the noise and disturbance and so on..

The thing is that my flat is next door (wall to wall) to a small indoor swimming pool with a lot of echo. the time table of the pool is up to 8:00pm but I use to be bothered by loud noises as consequently the pool is used for fun and parties with alcohol late night (from 8 to passed midnight)

What I have been doing is changing my pjs, putting my jeans, going to the pool and kicking them out (pictures includes) telling that they will be reported if I see them again after 8:00pm (with not success) just like an grumpy old guy. I also sent an email to the state management and the ask me to call the emergency line in every occurrence, however, the thing is so frequent that I don't think that I have to sleep with the phone next to me to call them every time when they should ensure that the rules or the pool are accomplished (or enforced).

I am not like that, I try to keep it cool and I use to hang out with younger people. I have tried to be patient but this thing is so frequent (and variate) that is taking out of my nerves, so my question is: apart of the emails and complaints to the agent (they administrate the complex), if there are another instance that I can recur (perhaps the city council? police?) or any other way to formally elevate my complaints to higher or different instances and on the other hand, if this is a reasonably reason to break my contract and move from here avoiding paying the penalty fee for early cancelation.

Any comment would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by MAR001; Oct 30th 2011 at 12:44 am.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 1:48 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: late night disturbance in my complex in swimming pool - Sydney

If the Exec Committee / Owners Corp can't or won't sort it out once and for all, you can apply for mediation to NSW Fair Trading. It's not free.

You might also ask the question here www.flat-chat.com.au

(We're getting new electronic keys in our complex, which will prevent out of hours access to the facilities.)
Old Oct 30th 2011, 3:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's always the case that the more rules that are made, the fewer are enforced.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wol
It's always the case that the more rules that are made, the fewer are enforced.
Thanks for your comment Wol... but, what can I do then?
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
Thanks for your comment Wol... but, what can I do then?
Probably the only thing is as the man said - phone the police/council every time. We had six months of hell renting in a brand new block in Manly, had the police around several times and I saw the mayor a couple of times - but not too much in the way of results. We threw in our rental and moved.....
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:13 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Probably the only thing is as the man said - phone the police/council every time. We had six months of hell renting in a brand new block in Manly, had the police around several times and I saw the mayor a couple of times - but not too much in the way of results. We threw in our rental and moved.....
Can you take photographs of people for evidence? Go Colombo on their noisy arses.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:15 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Am I writing in invisible ink?
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
No,I can read it perfectly.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Can you take photographs of people for evidence? Go Colombo on their noisy arses.
I took photos of the drug dealers below the flat - the police weren't interested.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
Not at all Seasider, Thanks for your comments though..

I want to make any possible move (and keep it on record) before going legal on this.. I am new here in Australia, I have sorted the flat out but not the job yet so not too much money to spend or to pay the penalty and I have just moved and to be honest I like the place..

I do think that the management is responsible and should ensure that the rules are accomplished.. I am not afraid of going legal but I consider this as the last resource.

Turban Explorer: of course I have pictures as evidence of all this.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wol
I took photos of the drug dealers below the flat - the police weren't interested.
I think (tell me if I'm wrong) that your disturbance came from the street and there are not to much to do about it, in my case it comes from inside the complex which can be a problem when calling the police as it can be considered as private property bla bla bla...
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think (tell me if I'm wrong) that your disturbance came from the street and there are not to much to do about it, in my case it comes from inside the complex which can be a problem when calling the police as it can be considered as private property bla bla bla...
Just about everywhere, actually - both in the streets and also within the (open) apartment street level areas.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

This is one interesting reply from the flat-chat forum:

Don't break your lease without talking to Fair Trading on 13 32 20 first.

However, why be driven out of your home?

There are plenty of simple ways that this pool could be locked down at night – electronic locks, timers on the lights, security cameras and motion sensors – none of which are terribly expensive.

But you need to get your landlord to drive this issue and he needs to take it up with the strata manager and executive committee and do so without delay.

Otherwise youcould go to Fair Trading and not only demand that he fixes the problem, but ask for compensation too.

However, it's in your landlord's best interests to get this fixed now before it seriously damages the value of his property.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

This is one interesting reply from the flat-chat forum:

Don't break your lease without talking to Fair Trading on 13 32 20 first.

However, why be driven out of your home?

There are plenty of simple ways that this pool could be locked down at night – electronic locks, timers on the lights, security cameras and motion sensors – none of which are terribly expensive.

But you need to get your landlord to drive this issue and he needs to take it up with the strata manager and executive committee and do so without delay.

Otherwise youcould go to Fair Trading and not only demand that he fixes the problem, but ask for compensation too.

However, it's in your landlord's best interests to get this fixed now before it seriously damages the value of his property.
Wow, it's like deja vu http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...18&postcount=2
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:18 pm
Auntie Fa

One day you'll all realise I'm not as daft as I look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.