British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Last minute nerves??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/last-minute-nerves-434638/)

leechy100 Mar 14th 2007 5:02 pm

Last minute nerves???

Well the flights are booked, temporary accomodation sorted, notices handed in, leaving party sorted. packers coming in 2 weeks, flying 14th April.
My husband is now starting to panic that we will not be able to afford to live on a daily basis. This whole process is by no means an unthought out decision, it has been in the pipeline for four years. We have researched it to death, went on a recce 3 years ago. Feel like I have lived in 'virtual' Perth for the last year. I am sure this is last minute nerves for him. We have both always worked here, but with 3 kids and my job involving shifts we rely on family and friends and won't have that luxury in Aus. So the plan was I would stay at home until the youngest was at school and then retrain for something else. But now he is panicking that he will not be able to support us on just his wage, after looking at house prices (which we have been doing for last 4 years) and car prices, which seem extremely expensive even for older cars. We have made a fair bit on the sale of our house in the uk, but by the time we have paid for a car, licences, replacing furniture we are not bringing, stamp duty, etc, it will mean we will need a substantial mortgage to afford a house. I think it will be tight but I think we can manage. Last week he had the attitude of we will do what it takes to make it work. This week he is getting quite stressed about it. Although he is insisting he is not getting cold feet, he just wants to be able to support his family. We are still definately going but I think it is hitting home that we may struggle financially.

Sorry it's a long one. Just after a bit of reassurance, I suppose. This whole process is so stressfull, I just hope it's worth it. We have both had our negative heads on at some point, but usually when the other is positive, so we have carried each other through the ups and downs.

Whinge over.

Nicky xx

CMR Mar 14th 2007 5:21 pm

Re: Last minute nerves???

Don't worry - last minute nerves is all;) . If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Has your husband started looking for work on line yet? I've actually managed to get a job offer before I've even got there so it can be done.

Where in Perth are you headed - we're flying out on the 2nd of April and we'll be staying in the northern suburbs at first.

CMR

Alana and Arrons mum Mar 14th 2007 7:44 pm

I change my mind all the time and feel constantly stressed.Sometimes I can talk quite happily about it and other times I am on the verge of tears!
It is really hard and you just have to keep focused and hang on to the reasons you are going.I worry about money all the time as initially we will only have one wage too,only it will be me working and hubby staying at home.
I think its only normal to worry-you just got to learn how to deal with it.Maybe your huuby just needs to hear your reassurances,I know it helps for me.I think being able to talk about it helps too.
Good luck
Andy

leechy100 Mar 14th 2007 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CMR (Post 4518352)
Don't worry - last minute nerves is all;) . If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Has your husband started looking for work on line yet? I've actually managed to get a job offer before I've even got there so it can be done.

Where in Perth are you headed - we're flying out on the 2nd of April and we'll be staying in the northern suburbs at first.

CMR

Thanks for your reply. He has registered with a couple of agencies, who have said to get in touch after we land, but they were very positive and encouraging about his CV. He will need to sort out his licences when we get there. He is ref/air con mechanic.

We too are heading for northern subs. We have got a holiday let in Hammersley for 8 weeks, but will be looking around Greenwood and Duncraig.

How soon after landing are you starting work?

Nicky x

leechy100 Mar 14th 2007 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum (Post 4518763)
I change my mind all the time and feel constantly stressed.Sometimes I can talk quite happily about it and other times I am on the verge of tears!
It is really hard and you just have to keep focused and hang on to the reasons you are going.I worry about money all the time as initially we will only have one wage too,only it will be me working and hubby staying at home.
I think its only normal to worry-you just got to learn how to deal with it.Maybe your huuby just needs to hear your reassurances,I know it helps for me.I think being able to talk about it helps too.
Good luck
Andy

We have been talking, I hope it has sank in. I know he will get over this and become positive about it again. I just hope it's soon! Last week he was really excited and counting the days down. Perhaps he's just having a bad week. I know he just wants to make everything perfect for me and the kids, but I have no expectations, I just want us all to be happy, which won't be the case if he is worrying. It'll probably be a completely different tale next week, he's probably got male PMT:D

Thanks, Nicky x

Donna&Neil Mar 14th 2007 9:09 pm

Hi Nicky, we are kinda in the same position. I think the issue is we sat around for months waiting and now since our visa came in Feb it has been all go. House sold, dog organised, shippers booked and we are currently trying to find short term accommodation for when we first arrive. We are not sleeping so good, so much to think about. I'm sure once everything is done things will calm down. It is such a big step. Hang in there and best of luck when you get to Perth. :thumbup:

Donna

mark213 Mar 15th 2007 3:02 am

Hi Nicky - this is the worst time now, the wait just before the packers is a horrid time as you cant do anything but wait. Its nearly over though. Sounds like you are more sorted than alot of people. I was the same just before, and I had somewere to live and a job with my existing company. Was just stressing about closing one life off and starting again. Just stick to your checklists and see them through.

Treat the first few weeks/months as time to adjust. Dont expect to start exactly the same as you left in the uk, adjustment time is needed, and patience. As for jobs, furniture, car etc these are all material things and will come. My bugbear was getting broadband! Whats important is getting to know why you moved. I'm sure you'll other half will get a job and you really will only know how the finances are once you start living here.

glazfolk Mar 15th 2007 4:33 am

Hey Leechy,

Property prices in Perth have indeed been the fastest rising in Australia over the last 2 or 3 years ... but that's also where the jobs boom is. Your husband will have no problems finding work, he'll likely as not be able to pick and choose.

Three Legs Mar 15th 2007 4:50 am

If it all goes t!ts up ...

Divorce him, get the CSA onboard, take him for the lot & make the move yourself with the bairns ... You don't want a pussy in tow like a ball and chain.

*Disclaimer*

Naturally I'm jesting ... I absolutely shat myself the week before we left. He's just going through the hunter / gatherer thang.

Good luck!

;) :) :p

Originally Posted by leechy100 (Post 4518306)
Well the flights are booked, temporary accomodation sorted, notices handed in, leaving party sorted. packers coming in 2 weeks, flying 14th April.
My husband is now starting to panic that we will not be able to afford to live on a daily basis. This whole process is by no means an unthought out decision, it has been in the pipeline for four years. We have researched it to death, went on a recce 3 years ago. Feel like I have lived in 'virtual' Perth for the last year. I am sure this is last minute nerves for him. We have both always worked here, but with 3 kids and my job involving shifts we rely on family and friends and won't have that luxury in Aus. So the plan was I would stay at home until the youngest was at school and then retrain for something else. But now he is panicking that he will not be able to support us on just his wage, after looking at house prices (which we have been doing for last 4 years) and car prices, which seem extremely expensive even for older cars. We have made a fair bit on the sale of our house in the uk, but by the time we have paid for a car, licences, replacing furniture we are not bringing, stamp duty, etc, it will mean we will need a substantial mortgage to afford a house. I think it will be tight but I think we can manage. Last week he had the attitude of we will do what it takes to make it work. This week he is getting quite stressed about it. Although he is insisting he is not getting cold feet, he just wants to be able to support his family. We are still definately going but I think it is hitting home that we may struggle financially.

Sorry it's a long one. Just after a bit of reassurance, I suppose. This whole process is so stressfull, I just hope it's worth it. We have both had our negative heads on at some point, but usually when the other is positive, so we have carried each other through the ups and downs.

Whinge over.

Nicky xx

CMR Mar 15th 2007 9:06 am

Originally Posted by leechy100 (Post 4518994)
How soon after landing are you starting work?

Nicky x

I'll be starting work about a month after getting there. I expected to start almost immediately but they've given me a start date of 7th May - very handy. It means I've got a month to sort out stuff like buying a car and what-not. I'm sure your husband won't have any trouble finding work - as another poster here said, Perth is a boon town at the moment.

We'll be a bit further north than you as we're initially staying with family in Wanneroo. Unfortunately my job's in Fremantle so I'll have to get used to the commute, but it shouldn't be any worse than what I'm used to in London.

All the best!

CMR