Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

laser (LASIK). How much will it cost in Australia?

laser (LASIK). How much will it cost in Australia?

Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:12 pm
Seriously Senior Member

Blim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default laser (LASIK). How much will it cost in Australia?

I want to get my eyes laser (LASIK) treated. How much will it cost in Australia?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:22 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: laser (LASIK). How much will it cost in Australia?

Originally posted by Blim
I want to get my eyes laser (LASIK) treated. How much will it cost in Australia?
Just a thought:

A few years ago my wife sat next to an eye surgeon on a flight to Singapore. He'd been to a conference in Edinburgh on laser surgery.

She asked him whether he didn't think it odd that he himself wore glasses?

Well, he said, I don't think we really know enough about the long-term effects for me to risk it for myself!

AND, he said, most of those at the conference wore glasses, too!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:26 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

http://www.sydneyvision.com.au/lasik/default.asp

http://www.nlvc.com.au/

http://www.theeyeinstitute.com.au/

That's three places in Sydney, which might be what you're looking for.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:33 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Blim
I priced it in OZ, it was very similar to the prices over here, but the only thing that put me off is that it is a fairly new thing over there. Plus when you get there you want to go straight into water etc not worrying about having your eyes done and then waiting until you get the ok to swim.
With all that in mind I had mine done 4 weeks ago, in preparation for OZ next year, by which time I would have had all my aftercare appointments. So maybe here is better.

jenny
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hi Blim

I think the prices are very similar to those you would find in the UK, but as another poster said it is a relatively "new" procedure here. I had mine done in the UK before we left as I wanted to have it done with a surgeon that was very experienced with it.

I was treated through the Eye Clinic and had the treatment up in Newcastle. I can't rate them highly enough and it's the best 2k I've ever spent (although it's probably much cheaper now?)

Good luck with it though!

love sophia xx
Old Dec 19th 2003, 4:36 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

A friend of mine had it done for a thousand pounds in Scotland. Only about a year ago. I would have it done, maybe when we go back to the UK.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:55 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jensteve
I priced it in OZ, it was very similar to the prices over here, but the only thing that put me off is that it is a fairly new thing over there. Plus when you get there you want to go straight into water etc not worrying about having your eyes done and then waiting until you get the ok to swim.
With all that in mind I had mine done 4 weeks ago, in preparation for OZ next year, by which time I would have had all my aftercare appointments. So maybe here is better.

jenny
Anybody looked at this before
http://www.optimaxuk.co.uk/optimax/lens_implants.html

...its reversible which is a plus.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:02 am
Badge

surely Australia is too 'backward' for this??

And you'd have to get non prescription sunglasses (with new rose-tinted covers)

Badge

Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Gotta say I had it done before I came out the first time.

I got some special deal from Optimax and paid £950 to have both done at the same time. I can't rate it highly enough.

Funny thing is (as Badgers said) the first thing you do is find yourself wearing sunnies all the time. I've already had one pair busted!

Cheers

Nick
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

I had my eyes zapped here. $2k an eye but you get a refund on your tax. A friend had it done 8 years ago here, so it isn't a new procedure.

They are world leaders in eye surgery in Perth. Procedure is a walk in the park. Biggest worry is seeing your partner clearly first thing in the morning, then you get to see yourself and the smile is wiped from your face forever. I miss that foggy haze, everything is beautiful state.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 5:39 pm
Seriously Senior Member

Blim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Guys

Blim
Old Dec 20th 2003, 5:42 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Just a thought:

A few years ago my wife sat next to an eye surgeon on a flight to Singapore. He'd been to a conference in Edinburgh on laser surgery.

Well, he said, I don't think we really know enough about the long-term effects for me to risk it for myself!

I thought this was going to be a joke and you were going to say the surgeon suddenly realised he was on the wrong flight cause he could not read the departures board.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 9:26 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Just a thought:

Hi all,

When I enquired about getting my eyes done, my optician advised me against it stating pretty much what Rog said - no long term effects known, if its that safe why do opticians still wear specs etc... The downside to this laser tx is that if it does go wrong you cant go back to wearing contact lens, which was the deciding factor for me - Im blind as a bat and hate wearing my specs cos they are the classic milk bottle bottom lenses!!! think i will have to stick to poking my eyes out everyday....

sue
Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:50 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Jim had his done at the Moorfield Eye hospital in London. They fix any disasters caused by other clinics and its the only place I would let him have it done. It cost a bit more, but I think its worth it for peace of mind. His consultant didn't wear glasses.

I'll keep wearing my lens though as it sounded horrible, although there was no pain.

Jane
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:10 am
gld
Forum Regular

gld is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING CLIENT YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY DEALT WITH THESE AND OTHER ISSUES AS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED IN YOUR CONSULTATION - IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING CLIENT PLEASE ADVISE ASAP.

This is very important issue and costs have got to be judged carefully.

First get a comparison of UK costs and we would then link you to our medical advisors in Australia

They will tell you what to do

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.